How ling will BOS-SFO-OGG stay VX?

Old Apr 30, 17, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
How ling will BOS-SFO-OGG stay VX?

I purchased a ticket from Boston to Maui on VX connecting in San Francisco for travel on 2/17/18. I specifically bought the ticket because I wanted to fly Virgin America. Will this route stay with VX metal in 2018 or will they use AS planes? Would I be entitled to a refund if they switch to AS metal?
Old Apr 30, 17, 12:10 pm

Programs: DLSL, MVP75K, Accor Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek View Post
I purchased a ticket from Boston to Maui on VX connecting in San Francisco for travel on 2/17/18. I specifically bought the ticket because I wanted to fly Virgin America. Will this route stay with VX metal in 2018 or will they use AS planes? Would I be entitled to a refund if they switch to AS metal?
Odds are it will stay VX metal IMO. One instance when the metal was changed from VX to Alaska (VX a320 to a E175), Alaska refunded the ticked and still gave the flight for first class ticket holders.

Now coach wasn't comped anything, but if you called Alaska with a similar experience my guess is that they would work it out with you. I also prefer the VX ride to an Alaska ride, but Alaska's phone agents are great.
Old May 2, 17, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
More than likely this will remain VX operated but that is not a 100% certainty.

Others mergers did have some metal swapping but doing it before certificates are merged was rare.
Old May 2, 17, 5:23 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The main risk you have is that AS has already announced that the VX planes will be used on the West Coast. How soon that will happen is anybody's guess but given that AS has a much bigger presence in HI, they could easily change that schedule and work in better aircraft utilization with the myriad of possibilities that AS has to the West Coast. You may also end up on a VX plane but in AS configuration so I wouldn't get my heart set on the full VX experience once 2018 hits. Better to keep expectations low and be pleasantly surprised if it works in your favor.
Old May 3, 17, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Operating carrier change probably means refund.

A refund on short notice isn't going to get you to OGG though. Are you fine with possibly paying extra for tickets at a later date or cancelling the trip?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: