Alaska ditching Virgin's great first class

Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by shza
I really wish it were a more viable option from SFO. The only airlines that offer real ease of schedule for SFO routes will be AS and UA -- and AS is probably the lesser of two evils there, given that UA is as bad as it gets.
Just hope that AS still does SFO/ord. I don't want to go back to ual or aa for SFO/ord, both are extremely unfun compared to VX F. I doubt B6 will do SFO/ord but i'd love to try it if they did.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
That is too bad. Alaska has an awful F class product compared to Virgin America. I had to fly Alaska from OGG to SEA and was wishing I was on United over that service and seat. Virgin America has been amazing and is too bad this merger was allowed to go through. We can expect higher fares and worse service out of SFO. I may have to try United again when gets rid of Virgin America culture and service.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
We can expect higher fares and worse service out of SFO.
Higher fares? The effect on competition out of SFO is negligible. AS and VX had all of five overlapping routes.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
If/when B6 adds SEA to Mint (and/or allows through-booking from somewhere other than JFK/BOS), I'll seriously consider them. The main problem at the moment is that Mint is a Transcon-only product from airports that are not convenient to me (I have trouble justifying taking the train up to New York or to connect from SFO/LAX-Seattle, and this is from a train lover). I really wish they had some sort of proper premium offering on something below a TCON, but alas...

As such, until then DL is going to hold my business, notwithstanding an attempt to requalify as Gold on AS...and that's mainly to facilitate burning my large pile of VX miles.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:47 pm

That is too bad. Alaska has an awful F class product compared to Virgin America. I had to fly Alaska from OGG to SEA and was wishing I was on United over that service and seat. Virgin America has been amazing and is too bad this merger was allowed to go through. We can expect higher fares and worse service out of SFO. I may have to try United again when gets rid of Virgin America culture and service.
Service and culture won't be awful. All 1500 of us VX flight attendants will be over at AS providing the same great service we always have, including the hundreds who are in initial training this year. And I think you'll see AS amp up its First Class food offerings to more closely reflect what VX has been offering. AS knows they'll have to keep some of the VX service alive in order to stay competitive. Don't write us off until you've seen what we do. We are all really excited
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Boyan Biandov
Wow I'm so glad I flew on their Airbus route to Cairns -- I'm 6'2" and the A320 had plenty of leg room (no Internet though if one has to complain but that's not a real complaint);

Sure I didn't pull a tape measure to get some empirical evidence but I would've squealed at 37" for sure

And yes that's before they started using 737-800 on that route...

I think you mean A330. QF does not have A320s.

Prior to the lie flat installation, A330-200 in J had 2-2-2 in 38" pitch.

In short, don't moan too much. If you want fake F/J there's always the European short hauls...
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
Service and culture won't be awful. All 1500 of us VX flight attendants will be over at AS providing the same great service we always have, including the hundreds who are in initial training this year. And I think you'll see AS amp up its First Class food offerings to more closely reflect what VX has been offering. AS knows they'll have to keep some of the VX service alive in order to stay competitive. Don't write us off until you've seen what we do. We are all really excited)
Good luck and much success.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
Service and culture won't be awful. All 1500 of us VX flight attendants will be over at AS providing the same great service we always have, including the hundreds who are in initial training this year. And I think you'll see AS amp up its First Class food offerings to more closely reflect what VX has been offering. AS knows they'll have to keep some of the VX service alive in order to stay competitive. Don't write us off until you've seen what we do. We are all really excited
Yes, and I have heard the same from many VX crew that I know. Some of them are the original class of VX FA's.

Both AS and VX crews are usually good to excellent. The best FA I have experienced in 35 years of flying is from VX.

Where AS needs to step up even in its new form is IFE and seats. The AS Recaros in all Y seats are awful for more than 2 hours, where VX Y was always comfortable even with a transcon.

Also, AS needs to be sensible in pricing. I just did SEA>BOS via SFO in B6 Mint. It was less than an a AS non stop. B6 Mint is really hitting the sweet spot and I would not hesitate to go with that in SEA for any other alternative from SEA when it comes online this year.

I'm saying this as a very loyal VX customer, who drove past OAK and SJC, paid insane parking rates, just so I could fly VX.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Exactly. It is great that AS has done a good job in motivating staff. The customer experience--especially when compared to Mint however is not even remotely comparable. Mint is also often less expensive and the service is fantastic with free high speed Wifi, 100+ TV channels, satellite radio, streaming Amazon for those that have prime, better food and seats and the ability to order special meals. AS will continue to lose premium business on transcons. VX's yields have already been on a steady decline. In a few months, Mint will be coming to San Diego and Las Vegas with Seattle coming in spring 2018. AS's competitive position will only get worse as the product is degraded. AS's costs will also go up as VX staff get wage increases. This means the razor thin margins at VX will likely be a drag on AS.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:02 pm

How would you compare VX MCS to AS F?

Need to fly to DC in September and prefer a slightly larger seat
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by op487062
How would you compare VX MCS to AS F?

Need to fly to DC in September and prefer a slightly larger seat
If the seat size is what matters, AS F is a better seat. MCS is just a coach seat with extra legroom.

If you want an IFE/movies/live TV, then MCS is better.

Real (but bad) meal on AS F; mediocre-to-decent food and alcohol on-demand in MCS.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Guh. Comment from a few days ago reposted for some reason. I may need an old priest and a young priest for my computer...

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Mar 28, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
[QUOTE=GrayAnderson;28098532]If/when B6 adds SEA to Mint (and/or allows through-booking from somewhere other than JFK/BOS), I'll seriously consider them. The main problem at the moment is that Mint is a Transcon-only product from airports that are not convenient to me (I have trouble justifying taking the train up to New York or to connect from SFO/LAX-Seattle, and this is from a train lover). I really wish they had some sort of proper premium offering on something below a TCON, but alas...

I just did SEA > SFO >BOS in Mint. For VX fans, it is really an easy migration. Mosaic as a FF program is lousy, but the in air experience is awesome.

The funny part, was the SFO > BOS leg was less than a non-stop SEA-BOS on AS in Y
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Credit Card, Rapid Rewards
What will be interesting to see is how AS with the new F will work on JFK-LAX/SFO. The first class product works on routes like DFW-SEA but I don't see it working on those routes where they have AA/B6/DL and UA over at EWR all offering lie-flat beds and better service.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by rerere
What will be interesting to see is how AS with the new F will work on JFK-LAX/SFO. The first class product works on routes like DFW-SEA but I don't see it working on those routes where they have AA/B6/DL and UA over at EWR all offering lie-flat beds and better service.
not only that, they will soon be also competing against lie flat bed from Mint and DL 75S on JFK-SEA. Their other great point of expansion SAN will also face off against Mint and DL 75S. I would imagine AS F cabin will be full of complimentary upgrades. At least SJC hasn't gotten the mint treatment yet, but maybe that will change too.

Here is a question, what about EMS vs AS F? (supposedly mosaic members often get EMS upgrades) Pitch wise they are comparable if you sit in row 6, but EMS doesn't offer anything extra in terms of food or drinks and are 6 across seats with limited recline.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.