FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   SFO-FLL will fares come down? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1830471-sfo-fll-will-fares-come-down.html)

SF1K Mar 19, 2017 1:43 pm

SFO-FLL will fares come down?

So I really love VX and am planning on starting to fly them more. Have trips to South Florida about 3 to 4 times a year. I understand their F is better than UA so can see a bit of premium price on that, but now JetBlue just added mint and it's $400 less. Hate missing out on the VX/AS miles but that's almost half price. Anyone think VX will cut fares?

Eastbay1K Mar 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K (Post 28057329)
So I really love VX and am planning on starting to fly them more. Have trips to South Florida about 3 to 4 times a year. I understand their F is better than UA so can see a bit of premium price on that, but now JetBlue just added mint and it's $400 less. Hate missing out on the VX/AS miles but that's almost half price. Anyone think VX will cut fares?

B6 has 16 Mint seats, not always available at the lowest price. VX has 8 F seats, and they sell a fair portion at the prices they're asking. We'll see what AS does with the pricing but I am not too optimistic on the F8 cabins.

ptownca Mar 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 28058955)
B6 has 16 Mint seats, not always available at the lowest price. VX has 8 F seats, and they sell a fair portion at the prices they're asking. We'll see what AS does with the pricing but I am not too optimistic on the F8 cabins.

I would agree on this. The Mint planes, as I understand it are larger A321's versus 320's in the VX fleet. Even with the new 321's coming into the VX fleet, there will still only be 8F seats.

dayone Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K (Post 28057329)
Have trips to South Florida about 3 to 4 times a year. I understand their F is better than UA so can see a bit of premium price on that, but now JetBlue just added mint and it's $400 less. Hate missing out on the VX/AS miles but that's almost half price.

If Mint is half the price, fly B6 and don't look back.

tphuang Mar 23, 2017 7:09 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 28068455)

especially now that AS is destroying first class on VX.

sfozrhfco Mar 24, 2017 8:19 pm

There is no reason whatsoever to take VX over Mint particularly when the price is cheaper. The A321s on Jetblue are better in every way no matter where you sit.

dayone Mar 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang (Post 28075722)
especially now that AS is destroying first class on VX.

In late 2018.

gaobest Mar 28, 2017 10:17 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 28068455)

Agreed - VX F and Mint are similar. Both are superior to F on aa /
Airline miles are great but not always the most helpful compared to saving 50% cash for F.

Here's a puzzle - what to do if UA / aa F is 20-25% less than Vx F. I'm not sure what to do because it's great to save $ but the F is just inferior. But I'd still think that F on a bad airline is better than VX Y even if VX is more pleasant of an airline to fly.

dayone Mar 28, 2017 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest (Post 28097456)
Here's a puzzle - what to do if UA / aa F is 20-25% less than Vx F. I'm not sure what to do because it's great to save $ but the F is just inferior. But I'd still think that F on a bad airline is better than VX Y even if VX is more pleasant of an airline to fly.

Assuming it's AA J on A321, fly it and credit miles to AS. If it's AA three-class F on A321, no contest.

If it's regular AA two-class F, I'd leans towards VX F.

findark Mar 30, 2017 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest (Post 28097456)

It's definitely a personal choice. My $$ usually end up with UA as VX F is very nice but I can never justify paying the extra $200 or so premium each way I usually see it priced at.