VX adding SFO-MSY, KOA, RDU, BNA and others

Old Mar 9, 17, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
VX adding SFO-MSY, KOA, RDU, BNA and others

Lots of single frequency daily flights. Part of a bigger Alaska Bay Area expansion announcement.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska...130000678.html
Old Mar 9, 17, 9:25 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Anyone know what routes are being sacrificed for this?
Old Mar 9, 17, 9:50 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Wow great to see some competition on RDU - SFO. Also nice to see that AS/VX will have 2x flights out of RDU (this and the AS RDU - SEA flight that's already out there)
Old Mar 9, 17, 9:59 am

Programs: DL Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG Gold
People in MSY had been wishing for VX service for some time now. With SFO-MSY starting up I'm curious to see how UA, and to a lesser extent WN, will respond.
Old Mar 9, 17, 12:13 pm

Wow!

Wow, I can't believe new routes for VX. Wondering if this is a hint that Alaska might keep the VX brand after all? I understand it's a long shot, but this looks encouraging.
Old Mar 9, 17, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Originally Posted by Phamer55 View Post
Wow, I can't believe new routes for VX. Wondering if this is a hint that Alaska might keep the VX brand after all? I understand it's a long shot, but this looks encouraging.
Just maximizing the VX fleet, I would not be surprised to see the elimination of VX metal to SEA, PDX and elsewhere to fund these new flights. They cannot eliminate the VX brand until the operating certificates merge. While they may keep certain design elements I fail to see why they would keep the name it as it would require a percentage of revenue be paid to Virgin Group.
Old Mar 9, 17, 9:29 pm

I think I posted this reply somewhere else...

VX will receive 2 A321neo in May and June, and then more A320neo and A321neo for the rest of the year. I guess that frees up some A320s.

But I eventually see AS taking over more SEA and PDX flights, but that possibly has to wait till the merger is complete.

Carfield
Old Mar 9, 17, 11:47 pm

Programs: DLSL, MVP75K, Le Club Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by B752 View Post
People in MSY had been wishing for VX service for some time now. With SFO-MSY starting up I'm curious to see how UA, and to a lesser extent WN, will respond.
Love the MSY addition. Since the VX airbuses are a little more comfy why not deploy them on longer flights.
Old Mar 10, 17, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Carfield View Post
I think I posted this reply somewhere else...

VX will receive 2 A321neo in May and June, and then more A320neo and A321neo for the rest of the year. I guess that frees up some A320s.

But I eventually see AS taking over more SEA and PDX flights, but that possibly has to wait till the merger is complete.

Carfield
I thought they didn't cancelled the Airbus orders? I just don't get it!
Old Mar 10, 17, 2:58 am

Wondering if the long game here is to put VX metal - and VX first class - on the transcons and longer intermediate flights to offer a better product than AS currently offers.
Old Mar 10, 17, 9:58 am

Programs: DLSL, MVP75K, Le Club Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HomerJay View Post
Wondering if the long game here is to put VX metal - and VX first class - on the transcons and longer intermediate flights to offer a better product than AS currently offers.
It sure seems that would make sense. Especially until they combine airlines, and then later fleets.
Old Mar 10, 17, 5:10 pm

Programs: VX Gold, B6 Mosaic, AS MVPG75k, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Bizarre. Hard to believe there is enough demand to make daily flights to/from Indianapolis or Nashville make sense.
Old Mar 10, 17, 9:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by shza View Post
Bizarre. Hard to believe there is enough demand to make daily flights to/from Indianapolis or Nashville make sense.
Based on O&D numbers from a couple years ago, IND-SFO/OAK/SJC has 526 PDEW and BNA-SFO/OAK/SJC has 428 PDEW. WN is the largest carrier for pax in both markets.
Old Mar 10, 17, 10:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by HomerJay View Post
Alaska President and Virgin America CEO Ben Minicucci "said Alaska is learning a lot about the Airbus planes since taking over Virgin America, but noted Alaska's success has always relied on placing 'the right airplane in the right market' and thinks the Airbus A321 has limited use on transcontinental routes.

'We think it's a better north-to-south airplane.'"
Old Mar 10, 17, 11:33 pm

Well the new A321neo is coming for sure. They have already been scheduled for SFO-DCA on May 31 and then SFO to JFK on June 14. Since VX leases most of their planes, they are very difficult to trace...

I think for the ten A321neo scheduled for delivery between now and 2018, it might be too late to cancel them. But the original order for 30 A320neo back in 2011, I am really not sure.

But I just found out many of the new flights will use the smaller VX A319s. I have a feeling that DAL may see some changes soon!

Carfield

Search this Thread