Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VX adding SFO-MSY, KOA, RDU, BNA and others

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:01 am

The A319 will definitely do better for Indianapolis, Nashville, New Orleans and Raleigh capacity wise.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Excited for SFO-koa! It'll give ual competition and probably encourage HA to add that route!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm guessing that this is down to utilizing these planes on the longer-haul routes as well. Remember, AS already serves the above cities from SEA but not SFO, so adding VX service to these markets isn't a shocker in the context of the merger.

With that said, I don't recall how this lines up with any VX equipment deliveries.

I'm willing to entertain the idea that AS might keep the brand if it makes a strong showing in some of these markets. It seems very unlikely, but I'll entertain it for now.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm willing to entertain the idea that AS might keep the brand if it makes a strong showing in some of these markets. It seems very unlikely, but I'll entertain it for now.
I would rate the likelihood of that at zero at this point. There may be some chance to keep some of the features of the inflight experience but no chance at all that the VX name/brand will be retained.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'm guessing that this is down to utilizing these planes on the longer-haul routes as well. Remember, AS already serves the above cities from SEA but not SFO, so adding VX service to these markets isn't a shocker in the context of the merger.

With that said, I don't recall how this lines up with any VX equipment deliveries.

It will really be interesting to see what Brad Tilden and company deicide to keep of the VX identity going forward. There is so much of the soft product that is unique with VX - on board environment, design style from online to marketing, use of innovation for the inflight experience.

Alaska as been looking at the VX product very close for the last year and must be saying to themselves, there really is something valuable about the way VX does things. They also have to be looking at themselves and saying what can we change going forward.

Of all the things they could copy or infuse into Alaska I can't see them keeping the name Virgin long term. 1, Too much market confusion with 49% Delta owned VS. 2, Why pay the brand fee to Richard if they don't have to. They could keep it for 2, maybe 3 years for special hubs and routes as they acclimate those loyalists to the new airline.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
It will really be interesting to see what Brad Tilden and company deicide to keep of the VX identity going forward. There is so much of the soft product that is unique with VX - on board environment, design style from online to marketing, use of innovation for the inflight experience.

Alaska as been looking at the VX product very close for the last year and must be saying to themselves, there really is something valuable about the way VX does things. They also have to be looking at themselves and saying what can we change going forward.

Of all the things they could copy or infuse into Alaska I can't see them keeping the name Virgin long term. 1, Too much market confusion with 49% Delta owned VS. 2, Why pay the brand fee to Richard if they don't have to. They could keep it for 2, maybe 3 years for special hubs and routes as they acclimate those loyalists to the new airline.

I agree with everything above. Ditching the VX brand too quickly would be suicidal to me. If I were back in the SF as before, it would not be hard to switch to DL or wincing, AA. UA is a no go. Full stop.

But, and this is the big but: AS will have to seriously step up its inflight experience to keep the VX loyalists. In the AS forum, they seem to think VX is just about pretty lighting, but indeed, VX has done a lot of innovative things making things better for the average traveler, as well as elites.

Now that the majors are making good profits, they are finally investing in the hard product. I've not been on a really awful mainline plane on DL or AA in more than a year. AS even with their newest -900 models have terrible seats and they are noisier than any VX plane.

Just saying...
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gaobest
Excited for SFO-koa! It'll give ual competition and probably encourage HA to add that route!
I totally agree! The more competition (and/or award flight availability) to the Hawaiian Islands, the better.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

True. I'm guessing that some sort of secondary branding is more likely (maybe call it Alaska Star;-)) unless they're going to consider taking the branding system-wide. The other option is to rename the improved product (perhaps VX F becomes Business Class?). As it stands, if they try to merge both sorts of service under a single banner that strikes me as a non-starter because of what that would do for managing the consumer experience.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AS owns JetAmerica. In theory they could rebrand both airlines as JetAmerica...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AS owns JetAmerica. In theory they could rebrand both airlines as JetAmerica...
I thought JETAMERICA became AS in 1987?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by pcoll
I thought JETAMERICA became AS in 1987?
Jet America was purchased by AS.
AS was in existence LONG (LONG) before Jet America was even a twinkle in their parent's eye.

But I don't think AS reviving the name is a good idea.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:34 am

The details of the brand identity and what direction AS will go will be revealed tomorrow, Mar 23.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
The details of the brand identity and what direction AS will go will be revealed tomorrow, Mar 23.
Thank you for the heads up. Looking forward to seeing the details and what Alaska is thinking.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Some of the changes coming down the pipe are what some expected, its not all bad, but has some good stuff too. I'm hoping they keep the stanchion between F and Y!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:14 pm

Funny thing is Richard Branson is coming, or is in, town promoting the new Virgin Atlantic flight. I'm sure timing is coincidental, but it could make for some conjecture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.