Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

How do I Figure Out Which Wifi is on a Flight and the Pricing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

I see on the Virgin America website that there are two possible wifi providers (ViaSat and Gogo) and that the price can range between $4.95 and $39.95 (https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/vx-fees)

Is there any way I can find out before a flight which wifi provider services the flight and the actual cost?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I see on the Virgin America website that there are two possible wifi providers (ViaSat and Gogo) and that the price can range between $4.95 and $39.95 (https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/vx-fees)

Is there any way I can find out before a flight which wifi provider services the flight and the actual cost?
Unless you are flying to/from Hawaii, there's about a 99% chance that it'll be Gogo.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BigFlyer

You need really to track the route and the plane by tail number on Flightaware or similar to know which has ViaSat or Gogo. Maybe 4-6 of the 60ish planes in the fleet have ViaSat, which is awesome. ^
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I don't think you can tell prior to being on the plane itself. As I understand it, and once you're on the plane, if the WiFi network is labeled as "Virgin America," it will be ViaSat. Gogo is labeled as such.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:38 pm

Last month, had gogo on IAD-LAX.
Had an unused gogo-inflight, so was able to take advantage of that outbound.
Bought a gogo-inflight at LAX before boarding the return flight.
But on the way back, it was the new in-house version. Better performance, but I have another unused gogo-inflight.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Unfortunately you won't be able to tell more than a couple days out and even then it's not set in stone due to possible tail swaps. If you are able to find out what Aircraft is planned to operate your flight (I believe it is Flightradar24 that has been fairly accurate) you can find out what wifi you will have. Aircraft with the registration N2XX and N3XX have viasat while those registered N5XX,N6XX, and N8XX have gogo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.