Wiki Posts
Search

Unassigned seats for three kids and parents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Unassigned seats for three kids and parents

Hello,

Family of five, parents and kids ages 9, 7 and 3 without seat assignments. We're flying to HNL from SFO in a couple of weeks. The 3 year old have to sit next to her mom but I am unable to assign any of the seats at no cost. The seven year old will have a real hard time sitting by himself. What do I do? I don't want to pay for upgrades, not for five!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:14 am

At 24 hours before departure time you'll be able to select the premium seats towards the front of the cabin, or if you miss out on those, you'll be able to try for the seats those people leave behind. I believe Virgin also sometimes blocks some rows for airport control, so best bet to get there a little early and ask if the above doesn't work.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
If you are unable to get desired seats at T-24 when you check in, don't assign any and just ask at the airport. VX blocks a couple rows for accommodating families and it is easier for the agents to accommodate you if you simply do not have seats as you are all put on a list together for those awaiting seat assignments.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:24 pm

Row 4 is usually held back for airport assignment to families.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by phllax
First time I have ever heard that and as a VX gold, the row 4 aisle seats are what I have booked for the past 3 years when available. Moreover, why they reserve a row with kids so close to either VX elites with upgrades or those who pay the MCS booking class via $ or points. It makes zero sense to me why these choice seats are reserved for families and moreover displace VX elites who already get the Express seats for free.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by ptownca
First time I have ever heard that and as a VX gold, the row 4 aisle seats are what I have booked for the past 3 years when available. Moreover, why they reserve a row with kids so close to either VX elites with upgrades or those who pay the MCS booking class via $ or points. It makes zero sense to me why these choice seats are reserved for families and moreover displace VX elites who already get the Express seats for free.
Likewise, I've been booking row 4 for as along as I can remember before either the MCS upgrade or F Upgrade at T-24.

I've never seen these seats blocked for families or any other class of Pax.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by phllax
VX does hold a few rows for airport control but row four is not one of them.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
I was just on a flight and the gate agents told me that row 13 and the last couple of rows are held for families. They are not assigned to anyone else until 1 hour before departure.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I've been sitting in the way back of my first few virgin flights. What I can tell you is rows 25 and 26 are held back, so is row 13 it seems. If empty the Flight attendants have dibs on the last row. They also put Unaccompanied minors back there as well as the crew can keep better track. People will get desperate and buy seats up front opening more in the back as well. Every single flight I've been on so far the last week i ended up with empty middle and other rows with just one or two people. The only complaint I have so far its once you check in it wont let you change seats until you get to the airport. As the last couple days have passed its been a blessing. no one is getting placed in these seats as time gets closer. Just monitor seats and speak with gate agent if you don't get seats together before then.

Looking at the current seat map for my flight in a few hours. its also includes part of 24 as well. This mirrors every flight I've monitored.
Attached Images  

Last edited by CDKing; Feb 27, 2017 at 8:57 pm
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
At the end of the day, it is a play to pay world. Even as a VX Gold, I have had to ante up to ensure friends or family traveling with me had assigned seats. Given the load factors on today's airlines, I'm not willing to roll the dice on getting things sorted at the airport.. Travel is stressful enough, why add to your own uncertainty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.