FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   Using AMEX Points to Get VX Status and then Alaska Status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1821478-using-amex-points-get-vx-status-then-alaska-status.html)

chickenmittens Feb 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Using AMEX Points to Get VX Status and then Alaska Status

I'm new to point redemption. Have worked up about 280,000 points on my AMEX Platinum card. I see that if I transfer 80,000 points to my Elevate account, that will give me instant Gold status. After that, I assume I could then transfer those points to Alaska at a 130% ratio and also have Alaska honor the status.

Question: is this a good strategy? I've never even had status on any airline so I'm not sure how good it actually is. Things like priority boarding aren't really worth anything to me. Upgrades to first-class, yes.

Thanks in advance!

ptownca Feb 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk and, yes, this the place for answers.

First where you are located and where you fly will help to answer if this is a good move or not.

Elite status, if you fly a fair amount is good thing TM.

IMO, more important than priority boarding is having TSA-Precheck, Global Entry or NEX
US. I just hate waiting to pass through security.

Getting AS to give you MPVG via having VX Gold is orthogonal to the points transfer. AS is automatically granting MPVG to VX Gold holders.

Need more info to say honestly if this is a good move.

chickenmittens Feb 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Cool. My two most frequently flown-out-of cities are Seattle and SF, so I end up using both Virgin and Alaska more than any other airline.

Jma12 Feb 11, 2017 10:37 pm

If you travel often then it is worth it. Also AS miles are more valuable imo. You also get RDM bonus as MVP Gold, as well for partner airlines.

CDKing Feb 11, 2017 11:12 pm

You don't need to fly to earn status on VX??

I did just find some old info about a promo in 2016. Is it back?

ptownca Feb 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 27897503)
You don't need to fly to earn status on VX??

I did just find some old info about a promo in 2016. Is it back?

You need to dump 80k AMEX points to Elevate to get VX Gold.

CDKing Feb 11, 2017 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by ptownca (Post 27897522)

i can't find any other details other than an expired promo from 2016. Seems odd to me a new promo would be offered with the Elevate program going away

dayone Feb 12, 2017 12:15 am

Originally Posted by ptownca (Post 27897522)

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 27897550)
i can't find any other details other than an expired promo from 2016. Seems odd to me a new promo would be offered with the Elevate program going away

I'm going to call BS. This is a long-expired offer. Also, VX has pretty much stopped giving out new Gold status.

HomerJay Feb 12, 2017 9:15 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 27897580)
I'm going to call BS. This is a long-expired offer. Also, VX has pretty much stopped giving out new Gold status.

I wouldn't call BS, but I certainly would advise the OP to do an on-line chat with Elevate (and print it out and save it), or call them and make certain that this offer is still open.

If they say it is - and you can document that they said so - you are in great shape. Even if they change their minds, AMEX will probably refund you your points as a goodwill gesture.

Also, make sure when you do reward travel, to check both programs. Some things are cheaper on Elevate. But Virgin First Class is often cheaper on Mileage Plan.

CDKing Feb 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 27897580)

depends on what one considers long ;) Ended 10/31/16 for the last promo

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ca-amex-bonus/

dayone Feb 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 27899716)
depends on what one considers long ;) Ended 10/31/16 for the last promo

That's long enough for me. YMMV.