Is the VX Call Center normally this bad??

Old Feb 5, 17, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Is the VX Call Center normally this bad??

I had a minor schedule change for a trip next Fall that somehow resulted in a couple segments being dropped so I called VX reservations to ask them to update my reservation with the original routing (which still existed). The agent tried for 20 minutes to figure out how to fix it but ended up transferring me to a supervisor who tried for 10 minutes and couldn't do it either. The supervisor was also overly talkative in an off-topic sorta way....rambling on and on...even talking about the in-flight entertainment system features .

It had to be the most surreal experiences I've ever had calling an airline reservations call center. As an AS MVP flyer, I'm use to calling up and having simple issues resolved by a friendly agent relatively quickly or if the agent doesn't know how to do it, they transfer me to someone who does. Another VX flyer in the mileage run discussion forum implied that this is typical for the VX call center (and they were once on the phone for 8 hours dealing with a schedule change issue). I contacted VX on Twitter and they suggested I send a note to guest relations, but that's not going to fix my schedule change issue so I guess the next time I have a large chunk of time available, I'll call back.

Is their call center normally this bad??
Old Feb 6, 17, 8:11 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Ever since around the time of the merger announcement when they moved from Seattle based outsourced agents that had been with VX from the start to newly outsourced agents in Dallas and Denver, service has been abysmal. Guess they must have done it to save money to make their finances look better for the purchase.
Old Feb 6, 17, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My only post-merger call was quick, efficient, and accurate. It was for a refund of award tickets, and the points returned within minutes, and the fees were refunded in my bank also within minutes.
Old Feb 6, 17, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Ever since around the time of the merger announcement when they moved from Seattle based outsourced agents that had been with VX from the start to newly outsourced agents in Dallas and Denver, service has been abysmal. Guess they must have done it to save money to make their finances look better for the purchase.
It wasn't so much that as it was a PR effort about building relationships with both cities that went beyond the airport gates. Cost of living rates are lower in Denver/Dal versus Seattle though, so I'm sure that helped.
Old Feb 6, 17, 8:59 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by socalgecko View Post
It wasn't so much that as it was a PR effort about building relationships with both cities that went beyond the airport gates. Cost of living rates are lower in Denver/Dal versus Seattle though, so I'm sure that helped.
Paying people less and not training them adequately was a good short term money saver as well.
Old Feb 8, 17, 7:20 pm

Programs: WN ALP/CP, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Two data points I've noticed

1) everyone i've spoken to in a call center is super nice, friendly and tries hard

2) I don't know if it's training or their systems, but everyone i've spoken to about even the most basic change has needed to escalate to a supervisor to get it fixed
Old Feb 9, 17, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
Two data points I've noticed

1) everyone i've spoken to in a call center is super nice, friendly and tries hard

2) I don't know if it's training or their systems, but everyone i've spoken to about even the most basic change has needed to escalate to a supervisor to get it fixed
Very good, and I think accurate points....maybe they should just make everyone at the call center a supervisor??
Old Feb 10, 17, 2:54 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
My experience in > 4 years with VX Gold line:

The old Kent based Seattle crew were awesome. Efficient and very knowledgeable of the quirks of the system. Some I learned were former FA's or GA's

Dallas agents were often as good as Seattle agents, depending on experience.

Denver agents uniformly friendly/polite, but sometimes I had to explain the nuances of VX myself. Just a training fail on launch IME.
Old Feb 10, 17, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Took 25 minutes for the gold line to answer yesterday afternoon (flight to SFO was delayed). And the agent was pretty inept.

Question: Later, I called back and got the "Due to the high volume of calls" prompt to press 1 for a call back ("you won't lose your place in line"). I did that on 2 consecutive calls, was not prompted for a phone number, and it continued to play the standard "the 1st available agent..." message, and I never got a call back.

So I'm assuming it was not recognizing my request for a call back. What should have happened?

Search this Thread