U.k fa wanting to apply for virgin america?

Old Feb 5, 17, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Question U.k fa wanting to apply for virgin america?

Hey guys!

Wondering if some of you could help me out...
I'm currently an English ex flight attendant wanting to work for an American airline, I worked for Emirates as Cabin Crew and I resigned as Dubai wasn't for me and I started to hate the place, I obtained a U.S Visa whilst Cabin Crew for Emirates so I was able to fly all over America and have layovers, most of my friends are American who I could visit all the time and I knew from then on that I wanted to move there... my question is, is it likely I could get a job with Virgin America even though I was born and live in England? Or do they only hire you if you're from the U.S?

Please let me know! Thank youuuu 💕

Laura 😘
Old Feb 6, 17, 4:44 am

VX is presently hiring; here are the requirements:

Must be at least 21 years old
Authorized to work in the United States
Willing to travel extensively
Willing to be based out of Los Angeles/LAX, San Francisco/SFO or New York/JFK
Able to work nights, weekends, holidays and extended hours
Possess and maintain a valid United States passport or foreign passport. Applicants must have the right to travel freely in and out of the United States, to and from all cities served by Virgin America Airlines without restriction
Demonstrate dependability
Physically fit in order to pass applicable training programs, including being able to open aircraft doors, lift emergency window exits (approx. 30 lbs.), assist with carry-on luggage stowage, push meal & beverage carts (up to 150 lbs.)
Body size cannot exceed specific aircraft dimensions (example: jumpseat, harness without modification, cabin aisle and emergency exits)
Ability to perform safety related procedures
Able to reach in overhead bins and galley compartments to retrieve emergency equipment and service items
Must successfully pass a background check and a drug screen

So you do not have to be born in the U.S. but must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. to be hired.

For what it's worth, AS is also hiring, and while AS and VX inflight will eventually fall under the same collective bargaining agreement, for time being VX crew does not fall under the far more lucrative AS agreement. You may want to consider applying to work at AS if wages and benefits are a consideration.
Old Feb 6, 17, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to apply for AS aswell!

'Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.' Does this mean having a U.S working visa? Or is there anything else that I need?
Old Feb 7, 17, 7:12 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by Ldegxo View Post
Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to apply for AS aswell!

'Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.' Does this mean having a U.S working visa? Or is there anything else that I need?
I believe a working visa is correct, though your best bet would probably to contact VX directly for specifics. Also, just a thing to consider, rumour has it that because of the merger with AS, crew bases are being reevaluated and some could change/be relocated. If you do apply, it would be wise to take into consideration that even if you get the base you prefer, by the completion of the merger your base may be moved to the other side of the country.

That being said, any company Richard Branson has had an involvement with is a great place to work. If you have the flexibility w/base location I say go for it!
Old Feb 7, 17, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Well there are an abundance of Americans who want to be crew, so much that many airlines max out on the number of applicants in mere minutes or hours. Its a lot of extra effort to sponsor a foreigner than just to hire someone already eligible. Its completely unlike UAE where nearly 90% of the population is an expat.
Old Apr 11, 17, 8:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
"Authorized to work in the United States" typically means that you must be a U.S. citizen or a green card holder.
Old Apr 12, 17, 3:56 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pdquick View Post
"Authorized to work in the United States" typically means that you must be a U.S. citizen or a green card holder.
While it'd probably be much harder for a flight attendant to get one without sponsorship than, say, an electrical engineer, there is such a thing as a work visa.
Old Apr 14, 17, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by pdquick View Post
Or a work visa.
Old Apr 15, 17, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
you'd need your own work visa or green card - the crew visa you had (C) while working for Emirates enabled you to enter the US as working crew, but does not give you the right to live and work in the US. I cannot see how VX would sponsor you for a visa, and under what category you'd qualify.

Search this Thread