FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   Points expired, despite transfer activity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1819811-points-expired-despite-transfer-activity.html)

alvn Feb 4, 2017 5:48 pm

Points expired, despite transfer activity

My wife and I have taken quite a few flights on VX. All of our tickets have been revenue F, and our first flight with them was a few months after they started operating.

However, for the last couple of years, my wife hasn't been flying very much. So, in order to prevent her points from expiring, she transferred 500 points from her account to my account.

I checked her account today, and I was surprised to see that her points had expired. So, I contacted VX by e-mail.

The customer service agent advised her that points transferred out of her account do not count as activity. The agent also sent a link to the "Elevate Member Guide" Web page. So, I reviewed that Web page. It says: "you can retain all of your Elevate Program reward Points as long as you have earning or redemption activity posted on your own Elevate Program account at least once every 18 months." I don't see anything that suggests that point transfers don't count as activity.

Does anyone think that she has a chance of getting her points reinstated? If so, who should we contact?

Thanks in advance!

brettsir Feb 7, 2017 7:46 am

Originally Posted by alvn (Post 27866235)
My wife and I have taken quite a few flights on VX. All of our tickets have been revenue F, and our first flight with them was a few months after they started operating.

However, for the last couple of years, my wife hasn't been flying very much. So, in order to prevent her points from expiring, she transferred 500 points from her account to my account.

I checked her account today, and I was surprised to see that her points had expired. So, I contacted VX by e-mail.

The customer service agent advised her that points transferred out of her account do not count as activity. The agent also sent a link to the "Elevate Member Guide" Web page. So, I reviewed that Web page. It says: "you can retain all of your Elevate Program reward Points as long as you have earning or redemption activity posted on your own Elevate Program account at least once every 18 months." I don't see anything that suggests that point transfers don't count as activity.

Does anyone think that she has a chance of getting her points reinstated? If so, who should we contact?

Thanks in advance!

Try calling VX, if they are unable to restore the points, ask to speak to a supervisor. If that doesn't work I would try emailing again, if you are told no ask for an escalation to the person above them. This sounds like a grey area as some other programmes do not count transfers, especially from others within the programme, as activity. So long as points transfers are not explicitly exempt from resetting the counter in the terms & conditions I believe you have a case for having the points reinstated.

cringle Feb 7, 2017 10:15 am

Points have to be added to an account, not deducted.