Wiki Posts
Search

Throwaway ticket on award travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VX
Throwaway ticket on award travel

I have an upcoming non-refundable ticket, booked with elevate points, from an east coast airport to LAX with a connection in SFO. My plans have changed since the ticket was booked and I now want to end my trip in SFO.

What are my options here? I know most airlines don't like it when travelers don't complete their ticketed itinerary, is that the case for VX as well? I have about $800 worth of elevate points in my account, so I'd prefer not to jeopardize those points, but I'd also prefer not to pay a change fee.

Should I tell them at the airport that I won't be boarding the last flight? Or do I need to complete the itinerary to protect my points balance?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:00 pm

Any upcoming flights you don't take will be auto cancelled if you don't show up and you forfeit the points. There's a fee of $100 per person to cancel, since you can't change the reservation.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cringle
Any upcoming flights you don't take will be auto cancelled if you don't show up and you forfeit the points. There's a fee of $100 per person to cancel, since you can't change the reservation.
Since this is an award ticket and I do want to take the first leg, what should I do?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by AnonTraveler
Since this is an award ticket and I do want to take the first leg, what should I do?
If you have Gold status you can cancel and redeposit the points with no fee at any time prior to travel. If you have status with another airline, perhaps you can get VX to match you to Gold. With the Alaska acquisition and all the changes, perhaps you'll have an easier time getting them to match. One thing to consider is that if this is a roundtrip ticket you probably have to cancel the whole itinerary and rebook the one way that you need with the points, but if your travel day is close it may require a lot of points so it may be a wash. I only book one-ways with VX for this reason since the price per leg is the same no matter how you book (OW or RT).
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Just forfeit the last leg if it's a one-way ticket. Otherwise you'll need to pay $100 to cancel and redeposit points (unless you are VX Gold) and then you'll have to book the new award flight, which might be higher in points if the fare is higher now.

VX won't take any action against your Elevate account for missing the last flight if this a one-off/first occurence.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Just skip the last flight--no big deal. Just make sure you don't check any bags and you board early enough that you get overhead space. If you board last and the bin space is full, tell the person on the plane that takes your bag you are only going to your actual destination so the bag doesn't end up where you are not.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
If you have a return booked on the same award just call VX and let them know because of ~insert almost any reason here~ you won't be taking the final leg to LAX. Your return flight will remain ok. If you're checking bags ask the teammate at the counter to short check them to SFO. If you don't have a return booked on the same reservation then letting someone know you don't intend on taking the SFO-LAX leg is a nice courtesy as it keeps the gate agents from paging you and waiting till the last second to close the doors on an otherwise fully boarded flight.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

So just to followup on this. I called the customer service line after my flight landed at SFO (I was in a rush and forgot to tell them while I was still at the airport) and the agent didn't seem to care about me skipping the last leg. Didn't even take my reservation # when I offered it.

I think it's likely that a gate agent would have cared a bit more, but overall this seemed like a non-issue to VX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.