Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Different Together

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Post Flying Different Together

Loyalty
If I have a Mileage Plan or Elevate membership, what can I expect as a result of the merger?

Today, Mileage Plan and Elevate continue to operate as separate programs. Mileage Plan members will continue to hold miles in their Mileage Plan accounts and Elevate members will continue to hold Elevate points in their Elevate accounts.

Beginning Monday, December 19, 2016, Mileage Plan members can earn Mileage Plan miles on Virgin America flights, and Elevate members can earn Elevate points on Alaska Airlines flights.

Beginning Monday, January 9, 2017, Elevate members will be invited to activate a Mileage Plan account, with elite status match, and learn how Elevate points can eventually be used to book award travel on Alaska and its global partners. At that time, Mileage Plan members will have the ability to redeem Mileage Plan miles for Virgin America flights.

Longer term, we’ll be evaluating how to bring these programs together to deliver our loyal customers the most value. We look forward to bringing you more news in the coming weeks.
If I have elite status on Mileage Plan or Elevate, will I receive elite benefits on both?

Today, you'll continue to enjoy all your Mileage Plan elite status benefits when flying on Alaska Airlines or Elevate elite status benefits when flying on Virgin America.

Plus, starting Monday, December 19, 2016, Mileage Plan MVP, Gold, and Gold 75K members will receive priority check-in and priority boarding when flying on Virgin America, and Elevate Silver and Gold members will receive priority check-in and boarding when flying on Alaska Airlines.

We are working quickly to extend a broader range of reciprocal elite benefits to both Elevate and Mileage Plan members across Virgin America and Alaska flights.
http://www.differentworks.com/#faq
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hmm, still vague about points transfer ratio. Hope its at least 1:2.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:24 am

Was thinking about getting the Alaska credit card before the programs merge. Is there any rush? Better to act before January 9 or after? Should I sign up for Alaska frequent flier account ahead of time in any case?

For perspective, I have the virgin card now and a few dozen miles short of status.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HGHUA
Hmm, still vague about points transfer ratio. Hope its at least 1:2.
I would hope. A VX award on VS was what, 50K points for a US<->LHR trip.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I would hope. A VX award on VS was what, 50K points for a US<->LHR trip.
20,000 in Y Rt
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
This is way too vague, even given the promised additional information next week. For example, in anticipation of the merger, I have a flight on a partner of AS on January 1. I am VX Gold. I am not currently in Mileage Plan. Do I have to enroll in Mileage Plan to get the credit? I assume so. Even if I do so, will I not get elite mileage because it is before January 9? Why did they make the date January 9? I am sure there is a reason, but January 1 would seem to make sense as that is the beginning of the frequent flyer year.

Also, it says Elevate elites will be status matched into Mileage Plan. Does that give VX members full benefits? Normally, a Mileage Plan status match will not entitle one to some elite bonuses. If that is the case, VX members are getting second rate status.

Of course the other big questions, presumably to be answered next week, is which level VX Gold will be matched into. Will it be to MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75K? If it is not to MVP Gold 75K, VX elites are really being shortchanged.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Nevsky
This is way too vague, even given the promised additional information next week. For example, in anticipation of the merger, I have a flight on a partner of AS on January 1. I am VX Gold. I am not currently in Mileage Plan. Do I have to enroll in Mileage Plan to get the credit? I assume so. Even if I do so, will I not get elite mileage because it is before January 9? Why did they make the date January 9? I am sure there is a reason, but January 1 would seem to make sense as that is the beginning of the frequent flyer year.

Also, it says Elevate elites will be status matched into Mileage Plan. Does that give VX members full benefits? Normally, a Mileage Plan status match will not entitle one to some elite bonuses. If that is the case, VX members are getting second rate status.

Of course the other big questions, presumably to be answered next week, is which level VX Gold will be matched into. Will it be to MVP Gold or MVP Gold 75K? If it is not to MVP Gold 75K, VX elites are really being shortchanged.
(1) The early stuff is nothing more than partner benefits, along with some sort of status matching when you fly the other airline. So, if you remain flying on VX only, you shouldn't have much effect.

(2) January 9 makes sense in that it avoids all the hassle of dealing with holiday travel - the newly implemented rules, infrequent travelers, training staff, passengers demanding benefits for which they may or may not be entitled, etc.

(3) Future matching (i.e., G v 75K) - now that they "own the place" they can take a look at the FF ranks, and it would seem that some would be 75K and some just G. Notwithstanding same, VX Gold represents a very high spend flyer that AS shouldn't want to tick off, even if it ticks off a few AS 75Ks.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
(3) Future matching (i.e., G v 75K) - now that they "own the place" they can take a look at the FF ranks, and it would seem that some would be 75K and some just G. Notwithstanding same, VX Gold represents a very high spend flyer that AS shouldn't want to tick off, even if it ticks off a few AS 75Ks.
This is a key part. As the announcement said "Elevate members will be invited to activate a Mileage Plan account, with elite status match." That could mean either a normal status match which is typically given to members of other programs, which does not include (to my understanding) all of the bonuses regular elites get, or it could be they will match your status and you will be a 100% equal with existing Mileage Plan members (e.g. for MVP Gold 75K (assuming VX members get this) "Members granted complimentary status, including status matched from another program, are not eligible for the 50,000 bonus mile offer.").
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:50 am

I assume they are waiting until 9 January to find out who actually requalified for status in 2016. That way they don't have to give AS status to people that already stopped flying on VX.

Interesting too that on 9 Jan only AS people will be able to redeem on VX and not the other way around.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:52 am

The status match is going to be very tricky . Hoping they don't alienate us Elevate Gold members - JetBlue is making a BIG push to get MINT expanded to an increasing number of markets and already had a very generous mile match for Virgin customers. If the status match turns out to be disappointing or inadequate , then I suspect JetBlue will make a very aggressive play for Elevate elites.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
The status match is going to be very tricky . Hoping they don't alienate us Elevate Gold members - JetBlue is making a BIG push to get MINT expanded to an increasing number of markets and already had a very generous mile match for Virgin customers. If the status match turns out to be disappointing or inadequate , then I suspect JetBlue will make a very aggressive play for Elevate elites.
VX already lost me and I am a regular in Mint now. I did requalify for Gold but just by doing the 30 segments--many of which were before the take over announcement and the rest being 1200 to 2500 point redemptions on short flights. I earned less than 30% of the qualifying points as last year and also stopped using the VX credit card for anything other than VX flight purchases.

So far they haven't given much thought to retaining VX customers. They have announced some upcoming benefits for AS people but have almost completely ignored the VX people. Kinda strange as AS people are already flying AS so they don't need to work as hard to get them on board.

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
This is a key part. As the announcement said "Elevate members will be invited to activate a Mileage Plan account, with elite status match." That could mean either a normal status match which is typically given to members of other programs, which does not include (to my understanding) all of the bonuses regular elites get, or it could be they will match your status and you will be a 100% equal with existing Mileage Plan members (e.g. for MVP Gold 75K (assuming VX members get this) "Members granted complimentary status, including status matched from another program, are not eligible for the 50,000 bonus mile offer.").
The only bonus a person does not receive via status matching is the 50K one-time bonus after qualifying for 75K. All other perks are identical, including upgrade certificates and bonus redeemable miles on distances flown, etc. That said, I very strongly doubt AS would match Elevate Golds to 75K across the board. If I'm reading the terms correctly, it's possible to reach VX Gold by flying 30 segments in a year, which is the same bar as reaching Alaska's lowest MVP level. I personally expect that Silver will match to MVP and Gold to MVP Gold. Even that may seem overly generous to the guys up in Alaska earning MVP on expensive Horizon segments, but I think it's by far the most likely scenario. On the other hand, if individual accounts were reviewed in order to award 75K matches to the most active VX flyers, I don't think I or any other Alaska elites would have a reason to complain about that.

Programs: Virgin America
I know this is all vague, but, just based on this email am I correct that I shouldn't be in a rush to spend my 100k+ elevate miles? If they come out and say im going to lose 2:1 points when this merger happens, I will of course try to spend my miles as quickly as possible before this happens. No need to worry yet, right?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by skron
I know this is all vague, but, just based on this email am I correct that I shouldn't be in a rush to spend my 100k+ elevate miles? If they come out and say im going to lose 2:1 points when this merger happens, I will of course try to spend my miles as quickly as possible before this happens. No need to worry yet, right?
So far it is not looking promising but who knows what they will do.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:30 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium

1) If you want to receive Mileage Plan credit, then yes, you need to enroll in Mileage Plan. But beginning December 19, you'll be able to enter your Elevate# into the Alaska reservation and earn Elevate miles for it.

2) As said in other posts, matched status gets all of the same benefits as earned status, other than the 50K bonus for those who earn Gold 75K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.