Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Virgin America ending partnership with Virgin Atlantic on November 13th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

I wrote an email to Virgin America Elevate to try to find out more about when I would be able to book a partner award on the new Virgin Atlantic SEA-LHR flight that starts in March 2017, and received the following response in return:

"Thank you for contacting Virgin America Elevate Desk. My name is LaShanda and I will be assisting you on this matter. In regards to your request, beginning on November 13, 2016 Virgin Atlantic will no longer be a partner of Virgin America. It is mostly not showing on the web as our Partner Award travel due to this fact.
We do apologize about the inconvenience, if you have any other additional questions please feel free to contact us at 877-359-8474 and we will be more than willing to assist you."

I wrote back to ask if any other partner changes are happening on 11/13, but haven't heard back yet. Looks like the next 12 days may be the last change to book partner awards on Virgin Atlantic.

EDIT: The rep wrote back and said that there are no changes planned for any other partners - just Virgin Atlantic.

Last edited by mipaho; Nov 1, 2016 at 2:34 pm Reason: Added info
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Had the merger already gone through this response wouldn't have surprised me. Alaska controlled Virgin American not getting along with Delta partnered Virgin Atlantic - no love loss there.

But the merger hasn't even been approved yet. To have this change this early seems that VS must have pushed for it with their recent (and I'm sure Delta influenced) update to their Flying Club program.

How soon before access to the SFO, JFK and IAD Clubhouses goes away.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I would guess Virgin Australia and all other Virgin related brands would be next on the chopping block.

They haven't even updated their website yet and it is only 12 days away. Basic things just are not happening these days at Virgin America. They don't have very many partners to begin with and they don't even bother to give people warning when they eliminate one.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: VS Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
As I've often credited my flights on Virgin America to Virgin Atlantic in the past, this came as rather troubling news, so I called Virgin Atlantic Flying Club to ask them - they said they hadn't heard anything about this, or any other changes to the airlines that they partner with, aside from all the changes that have recently been announced. Not sure what that's worth but I guess we may have to wait for something official.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bristoldave
As I've often credited my flights on Virgin America to Virgin Atlantic in the past, this came as rather troubling news, so I called Virgin Atlantic Flying Club to ask them - they said they hadn't heard anything about this, or any other changes to the airlines that they partner with, aside from all the changes that have recently been announced. Not sure what that's worth but I guess we may have to wait for something official.
Gary Leff, View From The Wing, confirmed the news with Virgin America FWIW. Sure seems like a clumsy way for the news to get out in regards to VX.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
No more redemption's on virgin atlantic, non-existent inventory for SQ in premium cabins, and inability to book in advance on virgin australia...

Guess I'll just hope my points transfer to Alaska at a decent ratio.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by esquesk
No more redemption's on virgin atlantic, non-existent inventory for SQ in premium cabins, and inability to book in advance on virgin australia...

Guess I'll just hope my points transfer to Alaska at a decent ratio.
All but one of those is (potentially) within VX's control. They don't have control over OA award space.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Frindle
All but one of those is (potentially) within VX's control. They don't have control over OA award space.
Issue is that it is advertised as a benefit to the program. Like a sucker, I looked at their award chart thinking that if I was flexible enough, I'd be able to fly in SQ premium cabins from the West Coast to Asia.

Not a single date available in all of 2016 or 2017.

If your partners are not releasing availability to you (while releasing it to other partners), you need to remove their redemption's in the advertising of how you can use your points.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:26 am

Issue is that it is advertised as a benefit to the program. Like a sucker, I looked at their award chart thinking that if I was flexible enough, I'd be able to fly in SQ premium cabins from the West Coast to Asia.

Not a single date available in all of 2016 or 2017.

If your partners are not releasing availability to you (while releasing it to other partners), you need to remove their redemption's in the advertising of how you can use your points.
How do you think "loyalty" programs have stayed around so long? People use credit cards they don't need to get what they believe to be magical points which can be used for anything at any time. After years of accumulating these points, they find out they are not so useful. If something relating to points looks too good to be true, it likely will either be taken away or has some other condition which will be impossible to meet.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Well, that tears it. Gentlemen (and ladies), it's been fun, but there is now a good chance I've spent my last dollar on VX.

(On the SQ front...given the extreme lack of availability, VX really should have looked to cut that tie...or at least de-list F/R awards...long ago.)
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Well, that tears it. Gentlemen (and ladies), it's been fun, but there is now a good chance I've spent my last dollar on VX.

(On the SQ front...given the extreme lack of availability, VX really should have looked to cut that tie...or at least de-list F/R awards...long ago.)
Agree on both points. My main regret is that the 20K I spent on VX this year would have gone a long way to getting me GS on UA.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
After years of accumulating these points, they find out they are not so useful. If something relating to points looks too good to be true, it likely will either be taken away or has some other condition which will be impossible to meet.
The thing is, all other loyalty programs have hoops to jump through but things are possible with patience and flexibility. With VX, they are advertising benefits that are literally impossible (like a flight on SQ in premium cabins).
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson

Ditto -- the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. It's been a fun ride.

As the folks at VX have been saying, "'till the wheels fall off." The wheels have fallen off.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Agree on both points. My main regret is that the 20K I spent on VX this year would have gone a long way to getting me GS on UA.

The thing is, all other loyalty programs have hoops to jump through but things are possible with patience and flexibility. With VX, they are advertising benefits that are literally impossible (like a flight on SQ in premium cabins).
SQ has space in premium cabins on 772/773/333. They rarely ever release any space on 77W/77L/E/A380/359 in premium cabins as their policy, however, they occasionally do on SIN-IAH.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
No more access to the SFO Clubhouse ?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints
No more access to the SFO Clubhouse ?
Unlikely. VS is now cutting off the partnership as of 12 November. AS is partners with BA and VS is nearly half owned by DL. BA and VS obviously do not exactly love each other. DL has no interest in helping AS so neither AS nor DL want any money to be spent to update the IT infrastructure to keep the partnership between VX/VS going only to dissolve the relationship when the merger goes through. The Virgin Group will not be getting any money from AS once the Virgin name is dropped. Thus VX has a lot stacked against it. If the merger falls apart, things may change. Otherwise, we are watching a slow motion train wreck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.