Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Sir Richard Branson reaffirms commitment to re-start VX if AS kills the brand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sir Richard Branson reaffirms commitment to re-start VX if AS kills the brand

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by Jeff767
You would probably expect Delta to have a few things to say about Branson starting up a competing airline in the US since they are pretty deeply in bed together.
This might be true, but I doubt DL would do anything if new Virgin codeshare with DL and builds its network from DL's abandoned hubs like CVG, or MEM or even taking over operation at MSP.....just speculation of course.

Jiburi
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi
This might be true, but I doubt DL would do anything if new Virgin codeshare with DL and builds its network from DL's abandoned hubs like CVG, or MEM or even taking over operation at MSP.....just speculation of course.

Jiburi
The Delta pilot contract forbids domestic code shares with a exception for Alaska on aircraft with over 76 seats. The Alaska exception was inherited from NWA however is dying a natural death. I suspect it would be a fight to the death if management tried to get another exception.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jiburi

Jiburi
CVG? MEM? LOL. Seriously, you think a hip coastal brand like Virgin is going to take off and be successful from the middle of Trump Country, out of second-tier Appalachian or Rust Belt cities? Just because the theme color is red?

There's a reason why DL pulled out of those markets; they aren't big enough to support hubs for anything other than an LCC (MSP is a top 20 metro area by population, CVG and MEM aren't). SRB isn't going to start VX 2.0 as a FR/NK/G4/F9 knockoff. That's not his deal.

And as for DL pulling out of MSP to give it to SRB... it will never happen. Never. Never in a million billion years. There is exactly zero reason for a profitable and well run airline to shrink out of a solid fortress hub, to give traffic to a competitor starting up an airline (it would be corporate malfeasance and shareholder lawsuit time- there is no good reason for you to assist a competitor like that). There is a better chance that SRB will send me a check for a couple hundred million for no good reason. Let's speculate on why he'd do that. Makes about as much sense...
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:57 pm

I wonder if Branson isn't saying this as part of a negotiation in the hopes that Alaska continues to license the brand, whether or not they use it.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by fenstere
I wonder if Branson isn't saying this as part of a negotiation in the hopes that Alaska continues to license the brand, whether or not they use it.
Could be. Doesn't cost him much to posture. Could pay off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.