Fees on Canceled Partner Awards?

Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Fees on Canceled Partner Awards?

Me - Elevate Gold. Companion - Elevate Silver. All points from my account.

One way is available so I am tempted to just book it. But if I can't get the other way (either with VX or another plan) I will need to dump the tickets.

At time of possible cancellation I will likely be silver and companion won't have VX status, but (assuming post-merger) I will have top tier AS status (I'd expect some sort of instant status matching) and companion will have low tier AS status.

Fees? Carrots?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Elevate will likely be around for a while and the rules of that program will be the ones to follow. It is very unclear at this point as to how fast AS will be able to move once the acquisition is approved but I would not assume that everything will be instantly done. Marriott and Starwood worked for a year to ensure status would be matched when all the approvals went through but Marriott also stated that the frequent guest program was a top priority.

Nothing has been mentioned publicly by AS management regarding elevate so it does not seem that integration of the programs is on the top of the agenda. Be prepared to pay the cancellation fees and if you get lucky and the timing works out for you, then you will be happily surprised.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'm not expecting merged programs anytime soon. I am wondering what the fees currently are for gold, for silver (if I cancel as silver) and am optimistic that I will be gold if status matching occurs right away.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Silver members don't get any fee discounts. It is $100 to redeposit. Gold members have fees waived for award cancellations--but don't expect instant status matches. It may be months or longer after the sale closes for that to happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.