Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Petition: Stop the Alaska Airlines Virgin America Merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: VX Elevate, B6 TrueBlue, DL SkyMiles

https://t.co/KoA77OPu5N

Sign it!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
No, I won't. Thanks for asking.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
It is up to the shareholders and frankly VA shareholders would be insane not to take the offer. They are the only guaranteed winners and the stock price would be cut by half at least if this fell through.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
It is up to the shareholders and frankly VA shareholders would be insane not to take the offer. They are the only guaranteed winners and the stock price would be cut by half at least if this fell through.
The shareholders did, in fact, vote to take the offer.

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/ab...-air-group-inc

I have to wonder if all the VX partisans would be so full of OUTRAGE!11!!1!!1!1 were it B6 acquiring VX instead of AS...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: VX Elevate, B6 TrueBlue, DL SkyMiles
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I have to wonder if all the VX partisans would be so full of OUTRAGE!11!!1!!1!1 were it B6 acquiring VX instead of AS...
Yes
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/ab...-air-group-inc

Not as much as AS doesn't really provide much to those based at SFO. B6 would at least bring Mint service to transcons. Pay scales are probably more similar and B6 is redoing their cabins starting in a few more months to look very similar to what VX has now. Free fast internet on all flights would also be a bonus. It would have been a lot easier with the fleet commonality as well.

A little hard to get excited when the only destination added is a single, oddly timed flight to SLC and we are looking at a product that will not even be as good as VX.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Sep 28, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:30 pm

Admittedly, it's difficult for any SFO based flyer to get overly excited with this merger. It sure did appear a merger with B6 would have served the Bay Area better.

However, M&As of this size usually take years before the result will be known, regardless of the short term reaction. Right now, it's a popularity contest, but 3 or 4 years from now, it'll be weighed on merit.

The future is unknown and it's certainly possible for ALK to a big 4 if they were to make the right decisions, monetize and capture the SFO/Bay Area/Silicon valley clientele. Do this, and skies the limit, literally. As a person who would love to see a big 4 compete, I'm rooting for ALK.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by vxflyer
No, not in this post, not in the other VX post where you posted the same, nor in the AS forum on VX where you posted the same.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:36 pm

It's hard to imagine what sort of shareholder would have voted against it.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
One named Sir Richard Branson might well have.

Of course, it's sad to say that my next thought was "So would Willy Wonka."
Old Oct 11, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, former UA 1K
AS would be nuts to rework VX service to fit inside the AS brand. VX is a modern version of what AS used to be - value-based service. Now AS is just LUV with assigned seats. I was MVP Gold in the 90s but gave up on AS when it started squeezing seats together in an effort to compete with LUV on West Coast routes. Now I fly VX on West Coast travel and transcon travel where VX is available. Would never sit on AS equipment for 6 hrs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.