Baggage Allowance w. CC

Old Aug 12, 16, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Baggage Allowance w. CC

I've got the premium Visa card and just redeemed my elevate miles for MCS seats. However, our next trip will be finishing with a 16 day round-trip crossing on the QM2 - with the result of tuxes and lots of clothes. Three large suitcases for the two of us, to be specific.

Our MCS seats each have a 1 bag allowance. I expect that my "free bag" perk of the VX Visa will not extend that allowance and I'll have to pay for that third bag. Am I correct? If so, does VX give a lower rate if I buy the extra bag before I reach the counter?
Old Aug 12, 16, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
The benefits are not additive. So you'll get two checked bags free. If one of them is small enough, you could bring it through security and then gate check it for free?

Extra bags are $25, regardless of whether you buy in advance, at the airport, online, in person, over the phone, etc. None of that Spirit sh!t.
Old Aug 12, 16, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I figured they weren't cumulative. Here's hoping I get a chance at upgrades and pay that rather than the baggage fee.
Old Aug 12, 16, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MarkBearSF View Post
Yeah, I figured they weren't cumulative. Here's hoping I get a chance at upgrades and pay that rather than the baggage fee.
FWIW there's many reports of people getting their bag fee refunded after they upgrade, in the event that the bag fee is paid prior to the upgrade.
Old Aug 14, 16, 2:57 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by RedwoodA320 View Post
FWIW there's many reports of people getting their bag fee refunded after they upgrade, in the event that the bag fee is paid prior to the upgrade.
It's actually vx policy that the bag fees can be used torwards the cost of an upgrade where those bags would be comped. Like others said above, you can't stack comped bags, you simply get whatever amount is higher.
Old Aug 14, 16, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Having no status level (Red) this year, I've got no expectation that upgrades will be available when my window opens - which is when I check-in. And if they aren't - I'll not pay for my bag until then anyway.

In the truly unlikely event of an upgrade opportunity at the airport, I'd note the paid baggage fee at the time. In any event, it'll be a nice trip. We like row 3 and know how to put in our orders for double drinks and food as soon as ordering opens. (And as Admirals Club members, we can use the lounge right in SFO T2 beforehand)

If we get the upgrade to F, it'll be lovely, but we'll have a great flight nonetheless. And, since we used elevate points for the flight, spending $25 for a bag is no big deal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: