Wiki Posts
Search

VX for sale?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by rubbernyc
Made Gold already and now it can potentially disappear.

The only constant in this industry is change.
Gold is not going to "disappear" (at least if AS is the suitor - never flown B6 so I don't know anything about its FF program). AS takes very good care of its elites, and even offers status matches to other programs. So rest assured that VX elites would receive comparable status on AS and IMO even better treatment including free upgrades to F on AS flights, fee waivers, etc.

Originally Posted by shza
AS's mileage program is the one thing that is better than VX, so I wouldn't worry about that (except the F you'd get upgraded into is crap, like UA). But much better international partner awards.
I think this depends on how you use your miles. I've never been able to find saver awards to Mexico, Hawaii during peak periods, but others have reported success. OTOH there is no question that AS has some good international partners. In some ways the VX $-based program is easier to use and offers more predictable value - though aspirational awards come at a much higher cost.

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Actually, as a serious question: Virgin has at least some brand power to speak of. Even if Alaska (for example) bought the company, why not simply have two brands (with full interlining of tickets, etc.) under one company instead of bothering to "merge away" the second brand? You could still merge ticket desks (where appropriate), co-locate most flights in the same terminals, and take advantage of other economies of scale. Consider it a version of the "Delta approach" (e.g. the pile of foreign carriers DL owns chunks of).
I concur. It would be foolish to destroy the brand - better to simply integrate scheduling and FF programs, similar to pre-merger UA/CO. I see this as more akin to WN/AirTran, which took a long time to merge ops.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Well, and I'm going to argue that VX actually has a brand that stands on its own. I could hash out differences between DL, UA, and AA (and some of their now-merged predecessors) but dangit, it would take some effort and even then I don't know what would stand out between them. Honestly, in the scope of things, I can speak to five airlines which have brand/product propositions that stand out in ways I can articulate: VX, WN, NK, and to a lesser extent AS and HA. The first three are glaringly obvious (VX's high-quality operation; WN's single-cabin product; NK's deep-discount, screw-you-with-fees model [I said stand out, not necessarily in a good way]; and HA/AS's somewhat-unique products [HA has a somewhat-unique product, partly because they're an almost 100% long-haul airline]).

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Mar 30, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:55 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
All this talk of VX being acquired by anyone is nonsense in my opinion. The airline's current market cap is $1.5 Billion, so it's safe to say they're not taking any offers less than that.

What does VX have that anyone would be willing to pay $1.5 billion for? A couple gates at DAL? A few landing slots? Leases on some aircraft? A few dozen Airbus delivery slots? Without the brand itself (which it's hard to see how any acquirer would get value out of), the sum of the parts doesn't come to $1.5 billion.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Beckles
All this talk of VX being acquired by anyone is nonsense in my opinion. The airline's current market cap is $1.5 Billion, so it's safe to say they're not taking any offers less than that.

What does VX have that anyone would be willing to pay $1.5 billion for? A couple gates at DAL? A few landing slots? Leases on some aircraft? A few dozen Airbus delivery slots? Without the brand itself (which it's hard to see how any acquirer would get value out of), the sum of the parts doesn't come to $1.5 billion.
What one gets with VX is a brand that has attracted a large number of flyers who are by and large willing to pay a premium to fly VX, mostly ex-SFO. The loyalty of those flyers is the most valuable thing. [e.g. via a personal story c1998-2001 I flew TWA, always on a full fare ticket, AA came on, stripped out upgrades (we suddenly had to earn certs), club access for elites, and took down the rather reliable flights ex-STL I was using. I skipped off to another airline - CO. Fast forward 10 years my seat mate on a flight is a senior exec at AA. We get to talking, and he says that AA really bungled that merger and that nearly all of the premium traffic had left when they took over, rather than as they had just assumed switching to AA's existing network.]

I tend to be of the same view you have, I just don't see B6 (or AS) retaining many of the VX flyers if the airline suddenly becomes something else.

The "winner" in a VX take over is short term probably United.

While I understand the desire for airlines to bulk up (AS and B6) I continue to think the thing that makes the most sense is someone taking a stake and giving recypocol benifts to their fliers (like with the old NW/CO tie up).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Two marketing budgets, two HR departments and back offices, two operations and network planning staffs, two sets of pilots/FA/ground crews and employees, you can't interoperate fleets and get any efficiencies out of it, it means you have questions to resolve like "So I'm an AS/VX elite, I'm flying the other airline, what's my experience? How many miles/VX points do I get? Does this count for AS/VX EQM or partner EQM?", you have two sets of certifications to the FAA to make every time you want to do something across the fleet.

In other words, you get all the headaches of a merger and none of the benefits/synergies. If you just wanted to interline tickets or operate as a partner airline you could do that any day without throwing a ton of cash at VX to acquire it.

FWIW, AS had a well regarded regional brand (Horizon/QX) that it got rid of to put under the Alaska brand. So they've basically rejected the approach you are suggesting already. I don't see why VX is so awesome that this changes the calculus. If it was VX wouldn't be putting itself up for sale (this is about people deciding to cash out).

Still wondering where you got the idea HA and AS are teamed up in any way, incidentally...
So someone will lose their job, who?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
I think we are mixing up airline codes and stock abbreviations. Delta owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic (VS). Branson and people aligned with him own the rest. Branson owns 22% of Virgin America (VX).

So far there is no tie up between DL and VX, there is a strong tie up with VS.
This is an aviation forum and we use airline codes here.

Yes, there is a strong tie between DL and VS, but it is not a majority tie as travelingchumley had suggested. travelingchumley also suggested that DL owned a majority interest in VA (Virgin Australia), it does not own any bit of VA as far as I know and certainly nothing significant. And you are correct, DL also doesn't own a chunk of VX.

The only airline that DL owns a majority interest in is 9E.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Yeah...the main holders in VA are Air New Zealand and Virgin Group (around 25% each).
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Beckles
All this talk of VX being acquired by anyone is nonsense in my opinion... What does VX have that anyone would be willing to pay $1.5 billion for?
If VX financiers want to monetize / cash out -- and this is an excellent time to do so; we're at the probable apex of an airline boom-bust cycle, with VX making consistent profits for a change, and its investors have been patient -- then a lot of other tactical considerations become moot.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Elevate, B6 TrueBlue, DL SkyMiles
Craplaska and JetBlue can keep their filthy dirty paws off VX. That goes for every other [redacted] U.S. air carrier too. DL = garbage. UA = Garbage. AA = Garbage. AS = Garbage. There are only three U.S. airlines worth anything: HA, VX, and B6 though B6 can [redacted] of thinking about touching VX.

Last edited by oliver2002; Apr 3, 2016 at 12:29 am Reason: rule 16.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by vxflyer
Craplaska and JetBlue can keep their filthy dirty paws off VX.
While an owner could say that for a private company, VX is now a public company. Everyone thinks with $$$ in this domain....

Last edited by oliver2002; Apr 3, 2016 at 12:30 am Reason: redacted quote removed
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
While an owner could say that for a private company, VX is now a public company. Everyone thinks with $$$ in this domain....
The problem is not so much share owners thinking about $$$, it is share owners and senior executives thinking about shor term $$$ while ignoring long term growth. Even more concerning are investment bankers and lawyers whose thought about $$$ is for the fees that they will receive from a merger notwithstanding the long term interests of share owners.

Despite all the cries that demand makes markets, the interests of passengers never are of concern to those who will stand to profit from a merger. Even the DOJ with their charge to protect both market place and customer from excessive avarice is only concerned to minimally protect the market place and consumers. That's why we have seen so many airlines disappear, many of them great airlines.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Elevate, B6 TrueBlue, DL SkyMiles
Originally Posted by edcho
VX can choose not to accept an offer. It's like Starwood with Marriot versus selling out to the Chinese.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vxflyer
VX can choose not to accept an offer. It's like Starwood with Marriot versus selling out to the Chinese.
I think you mean the 'VX shareholders' can choose not to accept an offer, but remember that a very small group of institutional shareholders, including original investors Virgin Group and Cyrus Capital, can cast the majority decision either way dependent upon whether they want to cash out or not.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Fox Business reporting that a deal could be announced early next week, and that senior JetBlue executives are reportedly flying to San Francisco on Monday.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/2efb2c9a-633...0-9311f56183c7
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
So Jetblah looks to be the winner.

I'm sure the VX FF base will be placated and assured the merged airlines will blend their culture and product, which we all know will be bs.

It was fun while it lasted. Better burn those miles before all you can do is redeem them on Hawaiian or Jetblah.

Sure am glad I stockpiled 100k points and got this stupid VX credit card a month ago. Feel like such an idiot. Jetblue sucks only slightly less than the big 3.

Last edited by Prospero; Apr 2, 2016 at 7:23 pm Reason: Remove profanity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.