How to use the $150 companion fare discount?

Old Jun 18, 15, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
How to use the $150 companion fare discount?

What it says on the tin. How do I use that discount from the CC?
Old Jun 18, 15, 2:42 pm

It's all in the T&C:

You are eligible to receive one (1) one-hundred fifty dollar ($150) Virgin America companion ticket Discount Code each year. The first Discount Code will be e-mailed to you approximately 6 to 8 weeks after you have made a Net New Purchase and have paid the Annual Fee. Each year thereafter, you will receive your Discount Code approximately 6 to 8 weeks after you pay your Annual Fee for the upcoming year, provided that your Account is open and not in default. The Companion Ticket Discount Code is good for one year from the date we e-mail it to you. The Discount Code can be redeemed for $150 off of the base fare for a companion ticket when traveling with another passenger on a paid, published airfare on the same itinerary. The Discount Code cannot be applied to pay mandatory taxes and fees payable on the booking. The Discount Code is only eligible for new, round-trip full fare tickets for Virgin America-operated flights purchased directly from Virgin America either online at virginamerica.com or by phone to Virgin America reservations; codeshare flights with a Virgin America flight number but operated by another airline are not eligible. To use the discount, exactly two (2) passengers are required and the maximum discount per booking is $150 off the base fare. If the base fare is lower than $150, the remaining discount value will be forfeited.

The Discount Code is for one-time use and is not valid for reward flight bookings. You must use your Card to purchase travel. Virgin America is solely responsible for the electronic delivery of the Discount Code. Discount Codes will be sent via email only. To ensure receipt, keep your email address updated in your Elevate account. 14-day advance purchase is required. Other restrictions apply and will accompany the Discount Code in the notification email from Virgin America. Please call us at 1-877-359-8474 with any questions.
Old Jun 22, 15, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
I've tending to let my discount lapse as I'm finding lower fares when I do not use the voucher. Just received my new vouchers a couple weeks ago and notice that I still have 2 others in my VX email folder!! LOL
Old Jun 27, 15, 8:49 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Can anyone clarify that you for sure need a r/t ticket. According to what is pasted above, you do, but I just got the e-mail, and in the T&C, it says for me:

Terms and Conditions

The Virgin America Visa Credit Card must be used to purchase travel in order to receive the discount. Virgin America is solely responsible for the electronic delivery of this Discount Code. Discount Codes will be sent via email only. To ensure receipt, keep your email address updated in your Elevate account. 14-day advance purchase is required. Promotion code expires June 16, 2016.

Base fares do not include Passenger Facility Charges of up to $9 each way, September 11th Security Fees of $5.60 per one-way trip or stopover, and a Federal Segment Tax of $4.00 per domestic segment. A segment is a takeoff and landing. A stopover is a break in travel of more than 4 hours between 2 flights. For service to/from Mexico, base fares do not include the U.S. Immigration User Fee of $7, the U.S. APHIS fee of $5, the U.S. Customs processing fee of $5.50, a U.S. International Arrival/Departure Tax of $17.50 each way and additional taxes/fees of up to $70, including: Mexico International Departure Tax and Mexico Tourism Tax. One time use promo code is valid for non-refundable Main Cabin tickets only in fare classes N, S, L, I, M, U, E, H, B, or V. Travel must be booked by June 16, 2016. Travel must occur between June 2015 and June 30, 2016. Blackout dates are: 5/22/15 and 5/25/15, 7/3/15, 7/5/15, 9/4/15, 9/7/15, 10/9/15, 10/12/15, 11/6/15, 11/9/15, 11/20/15 through 11/30/15, 12/18/15 through 1/4/16, 1/15/16, 1/18/16, 2/12/16, 2/15/16, 3/18/16 through 4/4/16, 5/27/16, 5/30/16 and 6/30/16. Promo code may be used only towards newly booked travel and may not be applied to prior bookings. Promo code discount will be deducted off of base fare. Promo code may not be redeemed for cash. Promo code may only be used for bookings made on virginamerica.com and is only valid on itineraries of exactly 2 guests. Offer is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offers. Seats are limited, subject to availability, and may not be available on all flights.

The Virgin America Visaź Credit Cards are issued by Comenity Capital Bank, pursuant to a license from Visa USA. For full program terms and conditions, visit www.virginamerica.com/creditcard. Virgin America reserves the right to terminate the program or change the program terms, benefits, conditions of participation or points levels, in whole or in part, at any time, with or without notice.
I can't seem to get my promo code to show up properly for r/t or o/w tix.... Anyone else have luck with it?
Old Jul 10, 15, 6:55 pm

I was confused about this as well but did end up using a promo code recently. When you apply it when booking a roundtrip with a companion (the only way you can use the code), it takes $37.50 ($150/4) off each leg of the flight, and that is what you will see reflected in your search.

I expected to see the discount at checkout but you won't see that at all.
Old Oct 29, 15, 7:52 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread.

Since this is just a code, did anyone manage to "transfer" the discount to a friend or family member? I mean - primary cardmember not flying, but two others fly instead.
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88 View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread.

Since this is just a code, did anyone manage to "transfer" the discount to a friend or family member? I mean - primary cardmember not flying, but two others fly instead.
Anyone could use it, you just have to be signed in to your account and use the Virgin America credit card on your account to pay for it.
Old Jan 13, 16, 11:38 am

Has anyone actually tried purchasing outside of your account and not using your Virgin Elevate card? I just tried to get through the checkout process not logged into my account and the promo code was taken fine. I entered an AMEX as payment and it accepted that, however I didn't actually hit the checkout button, as I didn't want to void the promo code (would have immediately cancelled the order). So it looks like you don't have to be in the member account, but can't confirm if they actually hold to the credit card piece. Has anyone truly just passed on the code and had it work for someone else?
Old Apr 12, 16, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by kerryc5 View Post
Has anyone actually tried purchasing outside of your account and not using your Virgin Elevate card? I just tried to get through the checkout process not logged into my account and the promo code was taken fine. I entered an AMEX as payment and it accepted that, however I didn't actually hit the checkout button, as I didn't want to void the promo code (would have immediately cancelled the order). So it looks like you don't have to be in the member account, but can't confirm if they actually hold to the credit card piece. Has anyone truly just passed on the code and had it work for someone else?
I'd like to know this too, but if I can use any card while logged into my account.
Old Apr 12, 16, 11:10 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hiima View Post
I'd like to know this too, but if I can use any card while logged into my account.
This is not the strong suit of VX's IT infrastructure. I am sure it would go through fine---though nobody can encourage you to break the rules of the promo code. If they wanted, they could audit your account later and charge you or sanction your account in some way. As with doing anything by going around the rules, YMMV.
Old May 25, 17, 2:17 pm

Have a similar question. I have the companion code but my gf has $50 in her travel bank that we'd also like to use.

Anyone successfully use the companion code through someone else's account?
Old May 25, 17, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
This is not the strong suit of VX's IT infrastructure. I am sure it would go through fine---though nobody can encourage you to break the rules of the promo code. If they wanted, they could audit your account later and charge you or sanction your account in some way. As with doing anything by going around the rules, YMMV.
It would go through fine, without any discount. Then you're stuck because you can't reuse it.
Old May 25, 17, 3:16 pm

Programs: DLSL, MVP75K, Accor Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone had luck using the companion code on a main cabin seat and then try upgrading both seats to MCS or F later?
Old May 25, 17, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson View Post
Has anyone had luck using the companion code on a main cabin seat and then try upgrading both seats to MCS or F later?
At the check in window where they offer for 199 or so, yes.
Old May 29, 17, 5:55 pm

Programs: DLSL, MVP75K, Accor Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hiima View Post
At the check in window where they offer for 199 or so, yes.
Thanks, haven't used one yet and wanted to know if it was even an option. Looking at SFO-SEA for June as Y is running ~170 or so. I find it ridiculous you can't use on any ticket other than Y. Discontinuation of elevate and credit card will solve that issue.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: