Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Policy - No free upgrades to Main Cabin Select if booking thru 3rd party

New Policy - No free upgrades to Main Cabin Select if booking thru 3rd party

Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down New Policy - No free upgrades to Main Cabin Select if booking thru 3rd party

Just found out this morning as I went to check in that VA has changed their policy for free MCS upgrades if you're Silver/Gold. Apparently if you book through a 3rd party (which most people do when traveling for work) you cannot get the free MCS upgrade. You have to pay for it if you want it. The only way to get it is if you book through Virgin's website, call them directly or book through Kayak.

Really disappointing....I travel for work often with Virgin and have to use our online booking system. Seems as if they're disregarding anyone who travels on business which to me seems like a bad business model.

I'm also upset because there was no notification to members about this. I went back and looked through my emails and nothing was sent out....apparently this policy change happened about 3 weeks ago.

Anyone else find this disturbing? I'm honestly questioning whether or not I should yet again, find another loyalty program.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by TravelForBeer
Just found out this morning as I went to check in that VA has changed their policy for free MCS upgrades if you're Silver/Gold. Apparently if you book through a 3rd party (which most people do when traveling for work) you cannot get the free MCS upgrade. You have to pay for it if you want it. The only way to get it is if you book through Virgin's website, call them directly or book through Kayak.

Really disappointing....I travel for work often with Virgin and have to use our online booking system. Seems as if they're disregarding anyone who travels on business which to me seems like a bad business model.

I'm also upset because there was no notification to members about this. I went back and looked through my emails and nothing was sent out....apparently this policy change happened about 3 weeks ago.

Anyone else find this disturbing? I'm honestly questioning whether or not I should yet again, find another loyalty program.
Out of curiosity, who told you the policy has changed?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:54 am
Original Poster

I noticed when I went to check in that it was trying to charge me for Main Cabin Select. That's when I called the Silver line and the representative on the phone told me that this was a new policy and that if I wanted to upgrade for this flight, I'd have to pay.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Any chance this ticket was coded differently than previous tickets? Website still says "A complimentary upgrade request may be made on tickets purchased from any authorized travel agency, through the Virgin America call center, or from virginamerica.com for a single guest itinerary. Opaque, net, bulk fares, infant tickets, guests travelling with pets, or purchased extra seats are not eligible for complimentary upgrades." Of course maybe they didn't update the verbage.

Does seem strange that they would punish business travelers though.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Unless the policy has changed, the first step is that you need to call and opt yourself in to get yourself on the upgrade list. You don't just get to choose a MCS select seat just because you are Silver/Gold. Once you are cleared and confirmed to MCS during the upgrade window (within 12 hours of flight time for silver) you can then select a seat. You can only select the Express seats in main cabin more than a day in advance of the flight.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Unless the policy has changed, the first step is that you need to call and opt yourself in to get yourself on the upgrade list. You don't just get to choose a MCS select seat just because you are Silver/Gold. Once you are cleared and confirmed to MCS during the upgrade window (within 12 hours of flight time for silver) you can then select a seat. You can only select the Express seats in main cabin more than a day in advance of the flight.
Previously I've selected that option when booking through site. But regardless I called today to see if I can be upgraded and they told me it wasn't complimentary because I had booked through a 3rd party. I was told this was a new policy change.

Will try calling again to see if I get the same answer but this was through the silver line.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Interesting. I called back and asked to see if a complimentary upgrade was available and they gave it to me!

Very odd. Why would someone say this is a new policy if it wasn't? I did give the feedback on the survey after the call.

Hoping this was just a bad/misinformed agent versus a policy that not everyone knows about.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by TravelForBeer
Hoping this was just a bad/misinformed agent versus a policy that not everyone knows about.
Happens on the legacy airlines much more than it should.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS Gold, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Executive Elite
It's been this way for a while when booking through a third party -- the system won't auto-upgrade. You need to call VX after booking and be added to the list, or talk to the gate agent on-site.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.