FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1537369-new-credit-card-details-comenity-capital-bank.html)

gq533 Jan 22, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm in no rush to get the card, so I will wait for a promotion.

PainCorp Jan 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by gq533 (Post 22204237)
Thanks for the update. I'm in no rush to get the card, so I will wait for a promotion.

Did you have the former VX card? This specifically cited the old card as a reason for offering it to me.

MarkBearSF Jan 23, 2014 6:31 am

Replacement Cards Coming

They're replacing the crappy cards. Just got this email:

"Thanks for applying for the new Virgin America VisaŽ Card. If you haven't received your new card already, it will be arriving shortly. We wanted to get your card to you as quickly as possible, but cosmetically it might not be as perfect as either of us would like. We're fixing that with a little nip-and-tuck and will be sending you a replacement card soon. In the meantime, please activate and start using the card to take advantage of all your new cardholder benefits. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. "

bevnetcraven Jan 23, 2014 6:44 am

Originally Posted by MarkBearSF (Post 22206892)
They're replacing the crappy cards. Just got this email:

"Thanks for applying for the new Virgin America VisaŽ Card. If you haven't received your new card already, it will be arriving shortly. We wanted to get your card to you as quickly as possible, but cosmetically it might not be as perfect as either of us would like. We're fixing that with a little nip-and-tuck and will be sending you a replacement card soon. In the meantime, please activate and start using the card to take advantage of all your new cardholder benefits. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. "

Got that too...Funny, the front of mine started peeling off after just 1 week...

BAR423 Jan 23, 2014 6:53 am

thinking about getting the card...think they'll offer a promotion in the near future?

gq533 Jan 23, 2014 11:49 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 22204985)
Did you have the former VX card? This specifically cited the old card as a reason for offering it to me.

Yes, I do have the old VX card and just recently received the new Barclays Arrival replacement card. Guess I did not charge enough on the old card for them to offer me a promotion on the new card. I will give them a call to see if I can get the better offer.

jlampert Jan 23, 2014 12:52 pm

I received another card in the mail today, and while the quality is maybe a little bit better, there are still issues with the plastic covering and peeling, etc.

I'm not sure the card was issued before or after they pinpointed the production issues, as I called as soon as I received my initial card to get a replacement (half of my hologram on the back was missing on my first card). I'll be following up with Virgin and post what they say.

PainCorp Jan 23, 2014 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by gq533 (Post 22208753)
Yes, I do have the old VX card and just recently received the new Barclays Arrival replacement card. Guess I did not charge enough on the old card for them to offer me a promotion on the new card. I will give them a call to see if I can get the better offer.

I almost hit the $25k threshold last year. I won't this year though, my spending is focused elsewhere for different rewards.

teo24 Jan 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by jlampert (Post 22209184)
I received another card in the mail today, and while the quality is maybe a little bit better, there are still issues with the plastic covering and peeling, etc.

I'm not sure the card was issued before or after they pinpointed the production issues, as I called as soon as I received my initial card to get a replacement (half of my hologram on the back was missing on my first card). I'll be following up with Virgin and post what they say.

VX should be putting these cards on surfaces akin to the Chase Sapphire Preferred

WheelsFirst Jan 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by teo24 (Post 22209846)
VX should be putting these cards on surfaces akin to the Chase Sapphire Preferred

But that would require VX choosing a bank like Chase.

UA Fan Jan 23, 2014 10:11 pm

I am thinking of applying for this card as I might need to make a partner reward booking. How quickly can one expect to get the bonus? As soon as the statement closes in which the 1K is spent? The T&C say 6-8 weeks which is why I am asking. Plus this is a bank I have not dealt with before and I need to make the booking soon.

vxflyer Jan 23, 2014 10:25 pm

I have yet to get the Barclay Arrival card even though when I log in to my account online I apparently have a new account number waiting to be activated.

I never did get an email invitation to apply for the new card either. With all the quality issues though, I might as well wait to apply.

Marathon Man Jan 24, 2014 3:51 am

After reading much of this thread I find I am still confused.

There's too many virgins and I never thought that would be a bad thing til now!

My wife and I have Virgin Atlantic Flying Club and its CC is issued by BofA.

Now this one is Virgin America.

I guess the points or miles from each are different and non combinable?
Not to mention Virgin Australia and whatever other Virgins there may be.

Call me dumb but I am a virgin to Virgin as I am often elsewhere lol
:D

vxflyer Jan 24, 2014 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 22212934)
After reading much of this thread I find I am still confused.

There's too many virgins and I never thought that would be a bad thing til now!

My wife and I have Virgin Atlantic Flying Club and its CC is issued by BofA.

Now this one is Virgin America.

I guess the points or miles from each are different and non combinable?
Not to mention Virgin Australia and whatever other Virgins there may be.

Call me dumb but I am a virgin to Virgin as I am often elsewhere lol
:D

There are three Virgin carriers: Virgin Atlantic (VS), Virgin America (VX) and Virgin Australia (VA). Each airline is part of the Virgin Group but they are separate companies. They each have their own frequent traveler program. VS (Flying Club), VX (Elevate) and VA (Velocity). You can earn and redeem points between all three, but it's not a 1-1 exchange.

P.S. "Virgin Samoa" is a part of VA. It is a joint venture between Virgin Australia Holdings and the Samoan government.

Marathon Man Jan 24, 2014 7:23 am

Originally Posted by vxflyer (Post 22213418)
There are three Virgin carriers: Virgin Atlantic (VS), Virgin America (VX) and Virgin Australia (VA). Each airline is part of the Virgin Group but they are separate companies. They each have their own frequent traveler program. VS (Flying Club), VX (Elevate) and VA (Velocity). You can earn and redeem points between all three, but it's not a 1-1 exchange.

P.S. "Virgin Samoa" is a part of VA. It is a joint venture between Virgin Australia Holdings and the Samoan government.

Thanks

Crazy

Lol

djfrugal Jan 24, 2014 12:22 pm

New Card Sign Up etc.

Applied 1/7 with response saying they need to review my info and will get an answer within 7-10 business days.

Didn't hear back, then received my cards on the 22nd.

I was a previous cardholder but did not get notified of the new card early or offered any promotional sign up deal. Just signed up off the website.

Card is cheap looking and cheap materials compared to the previous card. Hope they can rectify this.

teo24 Jan 24, 2014 7:57 pm

Still haven't gotten my VX Visa (applied and approved on 1/8) and after opting out of the Arrival Card before 12/15 and then calling again to complain the beginning of Jan when they still converted my account, I received the Arrival MC in the mail today! Why am I still in their system?!

beevesdoopie Jan 24, 2014 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 22213622)
Thanks

Crazy

Lol

There is also Virgin Galactic... if you are heading that direction! :p

LaneyLeft Jan 25, 2014 12:00 pm

I finally got my CC on Thurs 1/23. I applied for it Wed 1/8 and got an email saying I would receive my welcome packet in 7-10 business days. If you don't count MLK, then I got it exactly in 10 business days. Mine arrive via USPS not UPS.

Has anyone had issues using the card?

I used it for the first time last night and everything was fine. Transaction went through without a problem. Used it to pay for dinner.

I just tried using it online to pay a bill and I got an error saying my account was invalid. I tried several times and double checked all account info. It was all correctly entered. Ended up using another CC to pay the bill online.

I reached out to Comenity via their website, but wanted to know if anyone else was having issues using the card for online purchases. Thanks in advance!

aschran Jan 25, 2014 1:41 pm

I contacted Mint.com to ask them to add support for this card. They said they need to get the same request from at least 5 other people before they will consider it. So if you use Mint.com and want it to support this card, send them an email about it!

You can contact them using the "Contact Mint" button near the bottom of this page:
https://wwws.mint.com/support.event

JDiver Jan 25, 2014 2:32 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Your duplicate post (standalone thread) has been deleted, as cross-posting is prohibited on FlyerTalk. Your post is likely to get more attention here, as members are aware of this discussion.

Thanks,

JDiver
senior moderator

Originally Posted by aschran (Post 22221067)
I contacted Mint.com to ask them to add support for this card. They said they need to get the same request from at least 5 other people before they will consider it. So if you use Mint.com and want it to support this card, send them an email about it!

You can contact them using the "Contact Mint" button near the bottom of this page:
https://wwws.mint.com/support.event

vxflyer Jan 25, 2014 6:59 pm

I have to be honest. I'm becoming hesitant to apply for this card. Comenity Bank seems like such a crap-fest, and I'd hate to apply for this card only to have VX suddenly drop Comenity and switch banks again. I'm going to guess that the reason for the switch was because the marketing deal with Comenity was cheaper that with Barclays, and their contract with Barclays was up and VX didn't renew. However, you get what you pay for. I think I'm going to wait awhile before applying, perhaps not until the summer.

In other news, I finally got the Barclays Arrival Card on Friday. Such a useless card when it comes to rewards. I'd much rather have it be like AMEX Membership Rewards where I could just transfer points to VX (or other airlines or loyalty programs). I may send them that suggestion.

PainCorp Jan 25, 2014 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by vxflyer (Post 22222532)
I have to be honest. I'm becoming hesitant to apply for this card. Comenity Bank seems like such a crap-fest, and I'd hate to apply for this card only to have VX suddenly drop Comenity and switch banks again. I'm going to guess that the reason for the switch was because the marketing deal with Comenity was cheaper that with Barclays, and their contract with Barclays was up and VX didn't renew. However, you get what you pay for. I think I'm going to wait awhile before applying, perhaps not until the summer.

In other news, I finally got the Barclays Arrival Card on Friday. Such a useless card when it comes to rewards. I'd much rather have it be like AMEX Membership Rewards where I could just transfer points to VX (or other airlines or loyalty programs). I may send them that suggestion.

Imagine if they do that and have to switch everyone again. There will be some kind of thank you for putting up with this....again.

Pilot05 Jan 26, 2014 9:04 am

Originally Posted by vxflyer (Post 22222532)

I have had my new VX (Comenity) Premium Card for about 3 weeks now. I got the 25k elevate point offer. I use the card exclusively and have had no problems online, or anywhere else^. Card quality is poor, but my numbers have not rubbed off and they are sending me a new one. I have had the occasion to call Comentity cust service a few times, and I think they have been GREAT..far better than Barclays. I called yesterday to confirm the 25k elevate point offer, and it had been previously noted in my account.

So, wait for a good offer if you want to, but the card works pretty much as advertised. The 5k transaction limit (not a daily limit, a transaction limit) might bother some, but I havent found much to spend $5k on in one transaction.

vxflyer Jan 26, 2014 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Pilot05 (Post 22225346)
I have had my new VX (Comenity) Premium Card for about 3 weeks now. I got the 25k elevate point offer. I use the card exclusively and have had no problems online, or anywhere else^. Card quality is poor, but my numbers have not rubbed off and they are sending me a new one. I have had the occasion to call Comentity cust service a few times, and I think they have been GREAT..far better than Barclays. I called yesterday to confirm the 25k elevate point offer, and it had been previously noted in my account.

So, wait for a good offer if you want to, but the card works pretty much as advertised. The 5k transaction limit (not a daily limit, a transaction limit) might bother some, but I havent found much to spend $5k on in one transaction.

I haven't gotten *any* offers to apply for this card!

About the card: The name and account number is just printed on the card and not embossed like a normal credit card?

EDIT: Actually, I could see why it wouldn't be. The machines that emboss cards are probably not capable of doing it with the card in a vertical orientation, and if it were, the embossment of the card would interfere with the magnetic stripe which is still horizontal.

vxflyer Jan 26, 2014 9:11 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 22223190)
Imagine if they do that and have to switch everyone again. There will be some kind of thank you for putting up with this....again.

Ha, if they do that again, they'd better make a deal with the new bank to take on all the current cardholders automatically and not make people apply again.

Pilot05 Jan 26, 2014 10:16 am

Originally Posted by vxflyer (Post 22225374)
I haven't gotten *any* offers to apply for this card!

About the card: The name and account number is just printed on the card and not embossed like a normal credit card?

EDIT: Actually, I could see why it wouldn't be. The machines that emboss cards are probably not capable of doing it with the card in a vertical orientation, and if it were, the embossment of the card would interfere with the magnetic stripe which is still horizontal.

Name and Numbers are printed (not embossed) on the card..perhaps for the reason you mentioned..Embossing would certainly interfere with the mag strip. They probably gaffed by choosing a portrait orientation...too many issues (numbers names,etc), and when people accept it, they're more annoyed with having to to turn it than anything else. People often commented on the look of the old Barclays VX card, but I always thought the numbers were hard to read.

I think anyone who applies for the new card gets the 10k/15k (base/premium) elevate point offer on the new card.

ZbadhabitZ Jan 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Not to take this thread in a different direction, but has anyone received their new non-premium VX Visa card yet? I signed up on 1/8, with approval (matching my same credit limit on the old VX Visa, just to make mention as I know that was a discussion point), and a quote of 7-10 business days, which has since passed and no arrival.

I see a fair number of posts discussing the card quality of the premium card, but can't say I've seen a thread mentioning anyone who has received the non-premium.

PainCorp Jan 27, 2014 8:04 am

Gotta love Comenity. Just had my first statement close, before I even got the card. They're charging me the annual fee for my card before I'm even able to use it!

Eastbay1K Jan 27, 2014 9:16 am

Originally Posted by PainCorp (Post 22231204)
Gotta love Comenity. Just had my first statement close, before I even got the card. They're charging me the annual fee for my card before I'm even able to use it!

I guess I was much luckier than you. I finally had 2 days to use it prior to the statement!

cringle Jan 27, 2014 10:30 am

Originally Posted by vxflyer (Post 22225383)
Ha, if they do that again, they'd better make a deal with the new bank to take on all the current cardholders automatically and not make people apply again.

Not possible. Only if it's through the same bank/issuer who already has a signed cardholder agreement. New card issuer means a new application.

skyblue Jan 27, 2014 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by ZbadhabitZ (Post 22226910)
Not to take this thread in a different direction, but has anyone received their new non-premium VX Visa card yet? I signed up on 1/8, with approval (matching my same credit limit on the old VX Visa, just to make mention as I know that was a discussion point), and a quote of 7-10 business days, which has since passed and no arrival.

I see a fair number of posts discussing the card quality of the premium card, but can't say I've seen a thread mentioning anyone who has received the non-premium.

My non-premium card arrived today 1/27 via regular USPS mail. I had applied and was approved online on 1/13. (In the meantime I too got a statement with the annual fee on it.)

It basically looks like how it does on the website, matte black with a pink translucent "window" in the corner; and the account number, date, and name are printed in silver, not pink. Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the quality, but ah well. A few days ago I did receive that e-mail that others have mentioned about how they are sending out replacements.

Aside: My Barclays Arrival Mastercard arrived last week.

rekoil Jan 27, 2014 4:47 pm

I got my VX Premium card about two weeks ago, but just now got a mailer offering the 25K mile bonus. I'm going to call them and see what they can do for me.

My ultimatum to Barclays to give me their new-customer bonus or lose my business is still being considered, apparently...

vxflyer Jan 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by cringle (Post 22232087)
Not possible. Only if it's through the same bank/issuer who already has a signed cardholder agreement. New card issuer means a new application.

Not if the bank were to agree to it. Give us your info, sign, done, here's your new card. It's possible. Whether you think they *would* do that is another story.

vxflyer Jan 27, 2014 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by rekoil (Post 22234548)
I got my VX Premium card about two weeks ago, but just now got a mailer offering the 25K mile bonus. I'm going to call them and see what they can do for me.

My ultimatum to Barclays to give me their new-customer bonus or lose my business is still being considered, apparently...

By "mailer" I assume you mean via post and not email, correct?

rekoil Jan 27, 2014 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by vxflyer (Post 22235001)
By "mailer" I assume you mean via post and not email, correct?

Correct, this came as ink on dead trees delivered by a man in a diesel truck. I just got off the phone with Comenity, who told me that I'm already getting the 25K bonus; however, the mailer directs to virginamerica.com/creditcard which still says that the Premium card only gets you 15K bonus points. I'll hang onto the mailer and see what shows up in my account at the end of the month.

cringle Jan 28, 2014 5:08 am

Originally Posted by vxflyer (Post 22234982)
Not if the bank were to agree to it. Give us your info, sign, done, here's your new card. It's possible. Whether you think they *would* do that is another story.

I mean it's legally not possible. You must sign a cardholder agreement with the new company physically or electronically.

vxflyer Jan 28, 2014 6:02 am

Originally Posted by cringle (Post 22237255)
I mean it's legally not possible. You must sign a cardholder agreement with the new company physically or electronically.

That's what I said, you would sign one, and get it.

PainCorp Jan 28, 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by cringle (Post 22237255)

For what it's worth, it appears that those of us that received pre-approved offers were transferred over under the "sign and here's your card" since no hard pull was pulled on my credit for this application, at least that I can see.

Chachito415 Jan 28, 2014 5:10 pm

Elevate Silver, former Barclaycard VX Visa cardholder here:
I applied and received yesterday the VX Comenity Visa. Boy, is it ugly. Anyway, I applied via the link in an email from VX offering 20k bonus Elevate points for spending $1000 in the first 3 months. Yet all the printed material I received from Comenity and VX says I'll be receiving 10k bonus points. Should I just be patient and expect the 20,000? Or, would you hassle VX about this discrepancy ahead of time?