FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1537369-new-credit-card-details-comenity-capital-bank.html)

unitedfflyer Dec 8, 2016 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 27580207)
AS management has stated several times now that one of the main benefits of the acquisition is to get Californians using the AS credit card. The Virgin card and its benefits will be gone as soon as they work out the conversion process.

I'm sure Comenity will convert current VX cardholders to a different card. May not provide any benefits, but I'd be shocked if they closed all the VX cards and did not provide a path for a continued relationship with them.

I wonder if AS will provide an option for redeeming the $150 off a companion fare certificate that you get for opening the VX premium card? I haven't used mine yet and it says it doesn't expire until July '17.

sfozrhfco Dec 8, 2016 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by unitedfflyer (Post 27583593)
I'm sure Comenity will convert current VX cardholders to a different card. May not provide any benefits, but I'd be shocked if they closed all the VX cards and did not provide a path for a continued relationship with them.

I wonder if AS will provide an option for redeeming the $150 off a companion fare certificate that you get for opening the VX premium card? I haven't used mine yet and it says it doesn't expire until July '17.

The problem is that Comenity is an issuer of retail store cards. What are they going to convert it to-- a Victoria Secret card? If Bank of America buys the VX Comenity portfolio, they would just take over the accounts completely and Comenity would be out of the picture. This is what Barclays did when they purchased the JetBlue Amex portfolio.

I haven't used my $150 off cert either but as I plan to get rid of the card next month anyway, I have resigned myself to the fact that it will be lost. I just won't pay another $149 in January so no big loss I guess.

vxflyer Dec 8, 2016 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 27584016)
The problem is that Comenity is an issuer of retail store cards. What are they going to convert it to-- a Victoria Secret card? If Bank of America buys the VX Comenity portfolio, they would just take over the accounts completely and Comenity would be out of the picture. This is what Barclays did when they purchased the JetBlue Amex portfolio.

I haven't used my $150 off cert either but as I plan to get rid of the card next month anyway, I have resigned myself to the fact that it will be lost. I just won't pay another $149 in January so no big loss I guess.

This is, in fact, one thing I was annoyed with with VX. I had the Barclays VX Visa. For whatever reason, they ended up switching to ...... Comenity Bank. I ended up with another Barclays product I didn't want, and didn't bother applying for the Comenity card, because it was such a piece of crap. I've always wondered what really happened when it came to the credit card. Who broke off the relationship, and why? I will say that the credit card was one area where VX did .... up (when they switched to Comenity).

worldwidedreamer Dec 8, 2016 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by vxflyer (Post 27584079)
I will say that the credit card was one area where VX did .... up (when they switched to Comenity).

My experiences with Virgin America? Incredibly awesome.

Comenity? The opposite. Scary story yesterday: they could not reset my password, so just deleted the username and had me create a new username. Just seems like a bad idea.

jakers3200 Dec 9, 2016 10:53 pm

Does it make sense to apply for the Alaskan airlines credit card now just to get the miles? Current offfer is 30,000 points, which seems decent but far from exceptional. If some of the above are right and the virgin card gets converted down the line, it may not be possible to get a mileage bonus with the Alaska card. Has anyone been tracking the bonus offers-- is 30,000 miles the standard or do they occasionally offer much more?

jimmygottfredson Dec 10, 2016 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jakers3200 (Post 27590501)
Does it make sense to apply for the Alaskan airlines credit card now just to get the miles? Current offfer is 30,000 points, which seems decent but far from exceptional. If some of the above are right and the virgin card gets converted down the line, it may not be possible to get a mileage bonus with the Alaska card. Has anyone been tracking the bonus offers-- is 30,000 miles the standard or do they occasionally offer much more?

I've never seen a bonus higher that 30K for the Alaska card. Keep in mind that they also have a business version if you qualify. Between my girlfriend and I we have 3 cards (first one 11 years ago) and the buy one get one for ~$115 is the best perk of this type out there. Virtually no restrictions.

I also picked up the Comenity Capital VX Premium Visa Signature card this year after the acquisition was announced. I used it as a faster track to VX Gold (Status Challenge) - and I figured it would be going away sometime during the next couple years. I see a lot of negative comments about Comenity on this board, but frankly my experience has been positive so far. FWIW I wrote a post about the Alaska Card on my blog.

AAddicted Dec 10, 2016 6:52 pm

Comenity is easily the the most amateurish bank I've ever done business with. God help you if you ever have to call them or use your card in a foreign country without triggering a fraud alert.

jakers3200 Dec 10, 2016 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson (Post 27592035)
the buy one get one for ~$115 is the best perk of this type out there. Virtually no restrictions.

Does it work on American codeshares?

jimmygottfredson Dec 10, 2016 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by jakers3200 (Post 27594129)
Does it work on American codeshares?

Nope, Alaska metal only. Also no FC, only coach.

stupidzbu Dec 10, 2016 11:44 pm

quick question .. I've been spending hard on the card and paid it off trying to ink as much as I could from it

Some large charges posted after statement cut date in Nov, and on that same day they charged the AF ... So I assume my statement will cut on 12/23 because Nov statement cut 11/23

AF should expire on 12/23 ... but points probably won't post until 12/24 .. so if I nuke the card to not pay the AF, I will be foregoing close to 7k points

suggestions?

jakers3200 Dec 11, 2016 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu (Post 27594617)
quick question .. I've been spending hard on the card and paid it off trying to ink as much as I could from it

Some large charges posted after statement cut date in Nov, and on that same day they charged the AF ... So I assume my statement will cut on 12/23 because Nov statement cut 11/23

AF should expire on 12/23 ... but points probably won't post until 12/24 .. so if I nuke the card to not pay the AF, I will be foregoing close to 7k points

suggestions?

I canceled my united card this year, and they prorated the refund. Might give them a call and ask how they handle it.

jimmygottfredson Dec 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu (Post 27594617)

I wouldn't cancel the card until after the 24th (maybe even after New Years day); or at least until I saw the recent spend post. I would then try to get out of the annual fee. At worse case keep it one for more year for the $150 companion discount if you can use it.

Tracer_SEA Jan 6, 2017 8:35 am

Bonus miles for second VX card?

I had the VX Premium credit card a few years ago

Do others have experience with getting the 10,000 bonus miles if I sign up now for a new VX Signature (non-premium) card?

The rules say the bonus miles are a one time thing, but I don't know if that's per product, or for any VX card.

Thanks in advance.

blitzen Jan 9, 2017 7:07 am

Hi,

Had the premium first and now the non premium and it seems they just deposited the 10k bonus miles

BUT somehow they showed up in my Alaska Airlines (as 10k not using the 1:1.3 ratio) account not in the Virgin account

sfozrhfco Jan 9, 2017 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen (Post 27730321)
Hi,

Had the premium first and now the non premium and it seems they just deposited the 10k bonus miles

BUT somehow they showed up in my Alaska Airlines (as 10k not using the 1:1.3 ratio) account not in the Virgin account

Which is yet another indication that Elevate will be euthanized soon.