Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: UA G
Whoa, did anyone notice the change in benefits on the premium $149/yr card? It's now 8 points per dollar on VX flights and no Foreign Transaction Fees.

I could have sworn it was 3 points per dollar before.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
That's great!!

I didn't catch the point increase part. But I called to confirm inquire about the foreign exchange fee being waived as now I'm doing more international travels for work.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by unavaca
Whoa, did anyone notice the change in benefits on the premium $149/yr card? It's now 8 points per dollar on VX flights and no Foreign Transaction Fees.

Thanks for the update. Definitely makes it a stronger card. Would really like to see them increase that 15k to maybe 25k and then I'd go for it.

Just not enough juice at 15k and $149
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by unavaca

I think they've always advertised 8 in the sense you get 5 default + 3 bonus for having a VX card on all VX charges. 8 bonus points would be pretty damn sweet.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
Any idea if the terms are new and when they changed? No foreign transaction fee is huge and I really could have used it 3 weeks ago.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by FinicalFlyer
I think they've always advertised 8 in the sense you get 5 default + 3 bonus for having a VX card on all VX charges. 8 bonus points would be pretty damn sweet.
Yes, this is the answer. It's still just 3x/$ spent coming from the card.

Did the black card always earn at the same rate though? I had thought it only gave you 2x for flights, compared to 3x for the silver card.

Given that I already get the baggage allowance and no cancellation/change fee perks from Gold status, there's really no reason for me not to downgrade to the black card and save $100.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by shza
Did the black card always earn at the same rate though? I had thought it only gave you 2x for flights, compared to 3x for the silver card.

Given that I already get the baggage allowance and no cancellation/change fee perks from Gold status, there's really no reason for me not to downgrade to the black card and save $100.
I believe it's always been 3x for both cards.

Have you actually cancelled or changed a flight as a Gold with no fee? The redeposit fee for award flights is waived as a Gold, but I believe the 100/150 cancel/change fee still applies.

The other reasons to keep the premium card as a Gold would be the status points and rollover benefit.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by FinicalFlyer
I believe it's always been 3x for both cards.

Have you actually cancelled or changed a flight as a Gold with no fee? The redeposit fee for award flights is waived as a Gold, but I believe the 100/150 cancel/change fee still applies.

The other reasons to keep the premium card as a Gold would be the status points and rollover benefit.

Thanks -- you are right on both points.

I somehow had not realized that the cancellation fee waiver was a card benefit rather than a Gold benefit. I use that *all the time,* so that's reason enough for me to keep the silver card.

And I had not realized that the rollover was a card benefit rather than just an aspect of Elevate. It's odd -- they don't highlight that as a card benefit on the "compare card perks" table on the VX page, though it is buried in the card benefits section of the Elevate terms and conditions page. It seems, though, that you get the rollover benefit with either (black or silver) card. The 15k status points, when combined with the rollover, however, is a nice perk on the silver card -- and one that will benefit me come January.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: UA G
Oh darn, that 8X = 5 + 3 math is annoying. Oh well. At least the No FTF thing is new.

The status points and the rollover sold me on the premium card. It also drove me to put some extra spend on VX since I know those points will roll over to status next year.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Thanks for the update. Definitely makes it a stronger card. Would really like to see them increase that 15k to maybe 25k and then I'd go for it.

Just not enough juice at 15k and $149
Agree. VX keeps sending idiotic emails hawking the normal bonus as a "limited time offer" - umm, right.

Originally Posted by paradox
The pamphlet at the airport offered double bonus points (20k for the black card) but the offer had expired. Seriously, why have those things out if the offer isn't valid anymore? If I could get double points with a new application, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Good catch, I usually ignore everything at the airport except for the TSA pre-check drones and the coffee cashier I will have to look for those flyers next time.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:35 pm

I heard when they add the chip it wont be a vertical design anymore (I hope.)
Has anyone heard this?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Hello. I'm thinking of applying for the VX credit card, and I was wondering if someone can help with some questions.

1. Assuming I maximize the 15,000 of status points, I only need to spend $1,000 on VX flights to earn Silver status, correct?

2. The no change fee, I get travel credit if I cancel my flight, correct?

3. Does the no change fee also apply to other people on my itinerary?

Thank you in advance!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by fishy21
1. Assuming I maximize the 15,000 of status points, I only need to spend $1,000 on VX flights to earn Silver status, correct?
Correct, $1,000 on base fares.

2. The no change fee, I get travel credit if I cancel my flight, correct?
Correct, if you cancel a non-refundable flight you get full credit in your travel bank. You must call to change/cancel, if you do it online you will be charged the fee which will later be reimbursed. Also the ticket must be purchased directly from VX, not through a third party eg. hotwire.

3. Does the no change fee also apply to other people on my itinerary?
I believe this is correct, as long as that itinerary is paid for with the CC and the cardholder remains on the itinerary.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: United
Can anyone share their experience with Comenity retention on this card? Specifically getting the $149 fee forgiven? Spending promos?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Do you get travel credit when cancelling the ticket (purchased with a different card) prior to getting the VX card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.