Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Anyone have a reconsideration number?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:25 pm

How has Comenity been doing lately? Thinking about applying for the card again as I need to diversify my points.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by whistler814
(non) update:
Waited a week, nothing doing. Called Comenity, and was promptly referred to VX. VX by phone says wait another billing cycle. Explained the situation via email to VX ([email protected]) and was told in their reply to wait 90 days.
Final update:

5/13 Applied and approved for targeted 20k bonus after $1k spend in 90 days
5/20 Received card and completed spend
5/24 Statement close
5/25 10k points posted to Elevate (+ points equal to spend)
6/25 10k bonus points posted to Elevate

Seems like the process is automatic, however no one at Comenity or Elevate could provide any real status update.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: SoftServe, PP, Visa Buxx, So many cards
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Anyone have a reconsideration number?
800-303-1368
Their recon number doesn't seem to work if you wait on hold. You have to press 2 and go to the refunds department to actually talk to somebody. Then they don't even have information on my application. I have no idea whats going on with Comenity.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

Just received an email offering an additional $100 flight credit on top of the usual 10k/15k signup bonus. Not as good as double points so I may pass.

Are there still issues with the free checked bags? Has anyone confirmed the process?
Show your card at airport, or simply charge the fee and then request credit from Comenitu after you get your statement?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Just received an email offering an additional $100 flight credit on top of the usual 10k/15k signup bonus. Not as good as double points so I may pass.

Are there still issues with the free checked bags? Has anyone confirmed the process?
Show your card at airport, or simply charge the fee and then request credit from Comenitu after you get your statement?
Received the same email offer today. Been an Elevate member since nearly the beginning and this is the first targeted CC offer I've received.

How often does the double points offer come around?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
I got targeted offer for $150 off plus the 15,000 points, although the T&Cs reference $150 and $100:

† You are eligible to receive one (1) one-hundred fifty dollar ($150) Virgin America ticket Discount Code if you make $1,000 of Net New Purchases within the first 90 days of account opening. The Discount Code will be e-mailed to you approximately 6 to 8 weeks after you have made $1,000 in Net New Purchases. The Discount Code is good for one year from the date we e-mail it to you. The Discount Code can be redeemed for $100 off of the base fare on a paid, published airfare itinerary. The Discount Code cannot be applied to pay mandatory taxes and fees payable on the booking. The Discount Code is only eligible for new, round-trip full fare tickets for Virgin America-operated flights purchased directly from Virgin America either online at virginamerica.com or by phone to Virgin America reservations; codeshare flights with a Virgin America flight number but operated by another airline are not eligible. The Discount Code is for one-time use and is not valid for reward flight bookings. You must use your Card to purchase travel. Virgin America is solely responsible for the electronic delivery of the Discount Code. Discount Codes will be sent via email only. To ensure receipt, keep your email address updated in your Elevate account. 14-day advance purchase is required. Other restrictions apply and will accompany the Discount Code in the notification email from Virgin America.

On the $149 card, double points would be 30K points instead of the usual 15K points, so the extra 15K points would be worth ~$300 on VX redemption, so that would be the better offer of the two.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
... Are there still issues with the free checked bags? Has anyone confirmed the process?
No issues for me lately. I notice by the time I get my CC statement, a credit has been applied to off-set the baggage charge.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:54 am

Re: the churnable question -

I received the regular card (the $49 fee) in early 2014, and then was considering the Premium card earlier this summer. I asked both VX and Comenity if I would receive the 15K signup bonus on the Premium card if I applied, since I was already a regular cardholder. They both responded with a resounding YES, as it had been over a year since I applied for a card with them, so I applied.

I applied and was approved for a "new card". But then, instead of getting a new card for the Premium, Comenity instead "upgraded" my old card, and charged me a prorated annual fee for the remainder of the year. When I called to ask about the bonus spend, Comenity told me I was not eligible.

So. Wrong information abounds, on both the Comenity and the VX side. I love flying VX, but the awful customer service from both Comenity and VX makes me want to jump ship.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:04 pm

so is the $49 card churnable?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:15 pm

Last edited by anothertraveller12; Sep 17, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Last week I had to call Comenity to inquire about an over payment I made on my account... Somehow during the discussion, the subject turned to when will I be receive my new credit card as current one is set to expire in a couple months. I then asked if the card will have the microchip embedded in it too.

The agent said "no" despite some rule that all credit/debit cards should have chip technology come October 2015. The agent informed me that Comenity's entire "system" will need to be replaced as their current system can't handle the data the chip generates for each transaction.

All the agent could say was that VX is such a premier customer of theirs that we'd be the first ones to get the new CC when they become available. We should see the new cards sometime during Q1 of 2016.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:20 pm

My anniversary month is October, so I'm evaluating whether to keep this card (I have the regular $49 card).

If I pay the annual fee in November and later cancel the card, is a pro-rated portion of the AF refunded? I have a flight on VX in December (first SFO - OGG flight) and will probably keep the card till then for the free first checked bag.

I've searched online and in the paper pamphlet found at the airport but cannot find anything that would indicate whether or not the card is churnable. Does anyone have any experience with this?

The pamphlet at the airport offered double bonus points (20k for the black card) but the offer had expired. Seriously, why have those things out if the offer isn't valid anymore? If I could get double points with a new application, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:56 pm

Am I the only one concerned with the card not actually saying "Signature"?

They advertise it as "signature" but do we have any verification that it is? The photos say yes but my cheap flimsy card doesn't have the signature logo on it...
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by framerate
Am I the only one concerned with the card not actually saying "Signature"?

They advertise it as "signature" but do we have any verification that it is? The photos say yes but my cheap flimsy card doesn't have the signature logo on it...
It might be because you did not get a Visa Signature, but instead they approved you for a regular Visa (which you sort of consent to when you apply - it's their choice as to what "tier" Visa product they give you). Even though the main application page only shows the VS products, the Financial Disclosures show the other card tiers that they offer and corresponding APR terms, etc. For what it's worth, the one I have does say "Signature."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.