Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Can anyone provide links to these experiences/complaints with this new bank? I am curious.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:46 pm

Having the old barclay card for the past few years I was very excited to get my offer to sign up for the new VA card yesterday.

I signed up, was confused that they didn't ask for my street name, as mentioned by the previous poster but got a confirmation that signup was successful. The street name was present when I first logged into the new site.

I never entered my VA account number and now that I'm logged into the https://d.comenity.net/virginamericavisacard I can't find anywhere to review/change it. I assume that was also pulled from the signup Email URL.

I had close to a 15k limit and 17% APR with Barclay.
I just got 4k limit + 24.99 APR on approval.

To say the least I'm not happy at all. I've already requested a credit limit and if it doesn't happen I'll be calling and cancelling this card and sticking with Barclay.

One more note, the comenity/VA branded site looks pretty raw and may still be under construction and missing some functionality.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:49 pm

Has anyone been able to apply for this yet? Or did you have to get an email from VX?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by virginflightshavedoom
Having the old barclay card for the past few years I was very excited to get my offer to sign up for the new VA card yesterday.

I signed up, was confused that they didn't ask for my street name, as mentioned by the previous poster but got a confirmation that signup was successful. The street name was present when I first logged into the new site.

I never entered my VA account number and now that I'm logged into the https://d.comenity.net/virginamericavisacard I can't find anywhere to review/change it. I assume that was also pulled from the signup Email URL.

I had close to a 15k limit and 17% APR with Barclay.
I just got 4k limit + 24.99 APR on approval.

To say the least I'm not happy at all. I've already requested a credit limit and if it doesn't happen I'll be calling and cancelling this card and sticking with Barclay.

One more note, the comenity/VA branded site looks pretty raw and may still be under construction and missing some functionality.

Could very be because you have a high limit on Barclay's they don't want to overextend the credit line.

The interest rate should make no difference. If you are not paying the bill in full every month, whether the interest rate is 17 or 25%, whatever value the points have will be eaten up very quickly by the interest you are paying. If you are not paying the bill in full every month, may as well just stick with 0% card or some other low interest rate card with no rewards.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Could very be because you have a high limit on Barclay's they don't want to overextend the credit line.

The interest rate should make no difference. If you are not paying the bill in full every month, whether the interest rate is 17 or 25%, whatever value the points have will be eaten up very quickly by the interest you are paying. If you are not paying the bill in full every month, may as well just stick with 0% card or some other low interest rate card with no rewards.
Good point regarding the APR. I do pay in full but the flexiblity is good to have.

My offer came via Email btw.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
What is the APR that people are getting? At 25%, no thanks. Not that I ever have a balance, but my loan shark has a lower APR than that.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ethanwa
Has anyone been able to apply for this yet? Or did you have to get an email from VX?
No email yet, and no good link to apply that I can find.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
If you are not happy with the APR or any other aspect of the new card, complain to VX. If you have good credit, 25% seems high
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Received an invitation email on 1/3/14. The offer is for "valued Elevate members and current Virgin America Visa cardholders". The additional 5,000 bonus points is for preapproved individuals only. The file name of the T&C's states: "vx_cc_preapproved_standard_plus_five". I signed up for the Premium Card so I can easily qualify for Silver Status this year. The APR I received is 15.98%.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Do we have any data yet on which credit bureau they pull? If you could report your experience, indicating your state of residence also helps.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
Received an invitation email on 1/3/14. The offer is for "valued Elevate members and current Virgin America Visa cardholders". The additional 5,000 bonus points is for preapproved individuals only. The file name of the T&C's states: "vx_cc_preapproved_standard_plus_five". I signed up for the Premium Card so I can easily qualify for Silver Status this year. The APR I received is 15.98%.
Ah, I cancelled my card shortly after the official announcement, maybe why I haven't gotten an email yet.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
I, too, received the sign-up e-mail, and will note that I do not have any status with VX. I'm assuming most who had the previous card are receiving/will receive the e-mail.

The lack of street address and nowhere to enter your Elevate number are a tad concerning, but I'm sure it'll be hammered out over the next few days. It only went live on Friday, and I would doubt any of our complaints can be rectified until the week starts. I mentioned this in a different thread, but I think my loyalty to VX outweighs the cons of this card. I have no experience with Comenity, but VX is the only airline that I truly wish to fly. I'll need a new card to replace my Barclays, and the thought of signing up for UA or Delta or AA, while fine airlines, just doesn't get me as excited as earning free flights with VX. Hope you all feel similarly.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by SoCalZman
If you are not happy with the APR or any other aspect of the new card, complain to VX. If you have good credit, 25% seems high
I would speak directly to Comenity instead. Virgin may have provided the preferred cardholder information, but has little say so in how the applications are processed.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:25 pm

both of those signup bonus's are terrible

deeply dissapointed since i wanted to fly alot on virgin this yr
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by mayhem213
both of those signup bonus's are terrible

deeply dissapointed since i wanted to fly alot on virgin this yr
I agree, JB AMEX was 20k on a card that isn't 149/yr
Barclay Arrival seems good with the 40,000 miles ($400) on signup. But when you compare to VX, 10k on VX gets you almost $300 for a flight. The miles you'll earn are more valuable than a generic travel card (ie Arrival), but far inferior to something like the SWA card (you get 50k miles which is enough for something like 2 or 3 flights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.