Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you make the change online, they charge it (actually, they just put less money in your travel bank) and then credit you. If you call in they just put the whole amount in your travel bank.

Some people (particularly those who don't fly very often) might prefer waiting for the statement credit (since you get cash back instead of travel bank funds).
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you make the change online, they charge it (actually, they just put less money in your travel bank) and then credit you. If you call in they just put the whole amount in your travel bank.

Some people (particularly those who don't fly very often) might prefer waiting for the statement credit (since you get cash back instead of travel bank funds).
That's interesting. The site simply didn't let me make any changes or cancellations to this reservation. It just told me to call.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisremo
That's interesting. The site simply didn't let me make any changes or cancellations to this reservation. It just told me to call.
Was it a red bar across the top of the page telling you to call? That's a web site error. It was happening yesterday too. I had to call to cancel a flight.

Unfortunately, since they "improved" their web site, it's not very reliable.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:30 pm

Was it a red bar across the top of the page telling you to call? That's a web site error. It was happening yesterday too. I had to call to cancel a flight.

Unfortunately, since they "improved" their web site, it's not very reliable.
Yep, that was it. And yeah I've noticed the same thing.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Elevate, B6 TrueBlue, DL SkyMiles
So are the cards still cheap and flimsy?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:51 am

Has anyone been able to pay for the cancellation fee with their premium card on flights not originally booked with their VX card? I have some travel bank flights and VX caught on and now check the payment source when you call them. My last hope before eating $100 travel bank funds is to pay for the cancellation fee up front and hope Commenity refunds it...
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it works that way. Don't they just refund you $100 less?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:23 pm

Over the weekend my card was suspended due to a $7 transaction at a fast food place. They supposedly tried to call, but I had no missed calls or voicemails.

Here we are 4 days later, and no further attempt to reconnect, but my card continues to be declined, with no info from Comenity.

When I call, I have to go through their ridiculous verification system - SSN, home address, plus BOTH phone numbers on the account.

The guy then says he'll transfer me to the fraud prevention team - involving time on hold, plus all the reverification crap.

Seriously, Comenity is by far the worst credit card company I have ever dealt with.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by vxflyer
So are the cards still cheap and flimsy?
nope. When I applied in late 2014, their initial cards were real flimsy. I called them for "extra cards" and the replacements they sent were the sturdier ones. They still suck. Not on the level of a Discover card or even a Chase Freedom card quality.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Hands down the worst experience I've had with a credit card issuer. I applied for the $149 premium version of the card and was given a message that additional processing was needed. I called in and the agent completed the application over the phone.

I received the $49 non-premium version of the card. When I called to inquire about this, they told me there was nothing they could do to switch the product. I could either a) wait a year then convert or b) cancel, wait 37 days and reapply. The agent was nice enough to offer to match the higher 15,000 point sign up bonus.

After hitting the spend requirement and the statement closing, only 10,000 points posted to my account. When I called in the agent proactively transferred me to his supervisor who curtly informed me there was nothing she could do and that I should have applied for the right card in the first place. Cancelled on the spot.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:43 am

I am advising a friend about the different credit cards, and am trying to make sense of the benefits of the change fees with the PREMIUM card - especially wrt same/next day changes to flights.

The cc terms state
You’ll only need to pay the difference in fare when making a change.
For example: if I buy today a o/w flight LAX-EWR for a few weeks time might cost $170. The same flight leaving tomorrow costs (say) $670. So if had originally paid $170 for a LAX-EWR flight but decide at the last minute to postpone my flight to leave the next day, would I be hit with an extra $500 because of the jump in ticket prices?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Cloudwanderer
I am advising a friend about the different credit cards, and am trying to make sense of the benefits of the change fees with the PREMIUM card - especially wrt same/next day changes to flights.

The cc terms state

For example: if I buy today a o/w flight LAX-EWR for a few weeks time might cost $170. The same flight leaving tomorrow costs (say) $670. So if had originally paid $170 for a LAX-EWR flight but decide at the last minute to postpone my flight to leave the next day, would I be hit with an extra $500 because of the jump in ticket prices?
Yep.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by chrisremo
Yep.
Thanks! Good to know.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Originally Posted by Cloudwanderer

The cc terms state

But if this is your scenario, you'd be far better served going to the airport and making a Same Day Confirmed (SDC) change for $50 (for long haul, or $35 for med haul or $25 for short haul).

If you're concerned about the flight selling out, book it on the CC and then get a full refund rigt before you attempt to SDC.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:42 am

Has anyone had problems getting the 2 "free" bags?

I've had the VX Signature Visa Card since it's inception. I've also had many of the same issues previously mentioned in this thread including having the card inactivated at several inopportune times for "security" concerns that weren't real. I believe VX took a giant step backwards when they switched from away from Barclays to Commenity Bank!

My question is regarding the "free" bags feature of the card. Until recently when I traveled I almost always carried on my luggage. Now I almost always check it, and the "free checked bags" feature of the Signature Visa card was very appealing to me.

According to VX's website, "If your reservation was made on or after December 11, 2014, the bag fee will be waived at the time of purchase."

My first experience trying to use it occurred last week and did not go well. I purchased our tickets after 12/11/2014. As part of the process when I checked in for the flight it asked if I wanted to check any bags. I said yes for two bags, and the website charged me $25 per bag or $50 total. I was under the impression that that fee was not supposed to be charged because I had booked the trip using our VX Signature Visa card. I called VX, and they ended up transferring me to Commenity where the agent stated that I would "automatically receive a statement credit" for those charges in two to three days. I mentioned to her that the VX website said those fee's would not be charged after Dec 11, 2014. She knew nothing about that.

When it came time to check in for our return flight I had my wife use her VX Elevate account to check in to see if anything different would happen. Again it wanted to charge us the $50 fee for two bags. So she called VX and spoke to a CS representative. That person told her "not to add any baggage" at on-line check in, rather that when we arrived at the airport we should go to the ticket counter and show them our VX Signature cards and that they would check our bags and waive the baggage fee. When we arrived at DAL we went to the ticket counter and the the VX agent "knew nothing about waiving the baggage" fee by showing our VX Visa card and told us that we would have to pay it there and then request a credit from Commenity! Fortunately, after I just about "blew a gasket" and explained to her that she was the third VX person to give us a different story she went ahead and waived the baggage fees anyway.

Has anyone else experienced problems? If not, how did you get your "2 Free bags"? Did you pay at check-in and was it automatically refunded by Commenity? Or did you have to badger them for it? According to VX's own website it says "the baggage fee will be waived at the time of purchase" As I understand "the time of purchase" it is when you check-in online for your flight as you can't specify baggage at the time you actually book your flight.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Last edited by partzguy; Apr 20, 2015 at 2:12 pm Reason: Correct typo's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.