Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uncleruckus
So I have ignored this card since it came out. I was Gold in 2014 and unfortunately did not hit 50,000 points to renew the status in 2015.

I received an email about 2 weeks ago indicating that if I sign up for the $150 card that my Gold status would renew for 2015 as long as I make a purchase on the card by April. So of course, they got me.

Hopefully I didn't get myself into a huge mess with this card based on all the trouble you guys have mentioned in this thread.

Has anyone else received a similar email from Virgin regarding the status renewal?
That is a sweet deal.

The card is well worth it. Save two change fees and it pays for itself. If you fly enough to be close to Gold it's a no-brainer; getting 3 pts per dollar on VX tickets is huge ($10k on tickets = 30k pts = $660 worth of pts). Even if you just set it up as a payment method on the VX website and then put it into a drawer and forget about it you will come out ahead if you fly VX a moderate amount.

I don't see how you could get yourself into a "huge mess" with this or any other card; there are no problems with it. Comenity is a small bank but the card works just like any other CC. You buy stuff on it and pay it off every month. The points post as soon as the statement closes.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I have used credit cards for a long time and never once payed a late fee. I just pay on time.

They brought up late fees in your retention conversation? In what context? That seems strange. Were they offering you some reduction of late fees or something? If so, that has to be the worst retention offer ever.

I also find it strange that you had all these issues. I've had the card since about September, and I've used it all over the place (in stores and restaurants, buying VX tickets, online, recurring charges, at hotels) and have not had a single issue. I use the card, all my pts post as soon as the statement closes, and I pay it off. This is the best card that I have in terms of rewards on regular spending.

When they told you that they could not waive the AF you should have asked for some large number of pts, like 15k. Even 10k pts is worth more than the $150 AF on the premium card. If they refused that, you should have asked if you can get some bonus pts after some minimum spend. If they still said no, then you should have asked what they could give you.
They brought them up to ask what they could do to keep me. If there were any late fees they could waive. They brought up the late fees, not me, as I don't have any, my balances are always paid in full before statement closing. Asking about the annual fee got me nowhere.

Keep in mind, you've had this card 4 months, I've had it 13 now. I got it when it launched with the poorly made card. I never received my replacements when everyone else did. They "sent" me new ones which I never got. When I finally called they had to claim the old ones were lost and create new account numbers, I even had to answer questions about if I knew where the card was, and confirm that there were no recent charges that I did not authorize. I then got the new cards with the old account numbers, which they told me initially wasn't possible. I then had to get 4 cards (for me + 3 AUs) resent again. So I've had 12 total cards from them in 1 year.

As far as asking for points, you know how when you start a conversation you can tell what direction it's going to go? As soon as I asked, the CSR let out a large sigh, and his tone of voice changed dramatically, like I was bothering him. I'm not particularly attached to this card, so it wasn't a huge loss to me. I like my VX points, but not enough to keep dealing with this company. The value I get out of them vs DL/AA/US points isn't enough to make me jump through hoops, but YVMV (your value may vary).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:48 am

That is a sweet deal.

The card is well worth it. Save two change fees and it pays for itself. If you fly enough to be close to Gold it's a no-brainer; getting 3 pts per dollar on VX tickets is huge ($10k on tickets = 30k pts = $660 worth of pts). Even if you just set it up as a payment method on the VX website and then put it into a drawer and forget about it you will come out ahead if you fly VX a moderate amount.

I don't see how you could get yourself into a "huge mess" with this or any other card; there are no problems with it. Comenity is a small bank but the card works just like any other CC. You buy stuff on it and pay it off every month. The points post as soon as the statement closes.
Very good points. I guess I was just reading how people get their card denied when making random purchases for no apparent reason and I just don't want to ever deal with that. I don't think I've ever had a card get denied so I'd like to continue that trend.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uncleruckus
Very good points. I guess I was just reading how people get their card denied when making random purchases for no apparent reason and I just don't want to ever deal with that. I don't think I've ever had a card get denied so I'd like to continue that trend.
For some reason a few people are having lots of problems with Comenity's fraud detection algorithm, but I think that most people are having no problems at all.

I don't think anyone is sure why. Probably there is something in their spending pattern that is triggering something in Comenity's algorithm that is too sensitive. I think that this can happen with any bank, but with Comenity being smaller they probably have less sophisticated systems so they may be more susceptible to it. I would't worry about it. Always carrying at least 2 cards is a good idea no matter what.

I have had one false fraud detection flag on a card in my life (it was years ago). It does happen occasionally but it should be very rare. I have also had actual fraud on cards a couple of times.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:09 pm

For some reason a few people are having lots of problems with Comenity's fraud detection algorithm, but I think that most people are having no problems at all.

I don't think anyone is sure why. Probably there is something in their spending pattern that is triggering something in Comenity's algorithm that is too sensitive. I think that this can happen with any bank, but with Comenity being smaller they probably have less sophisticated systems so they may be more susceptible to it. I would't worry about it. Always carrying at least 2 cards is a good idea no matter what.

I have had one false fraud detection flag on a card in my life (it was years ago). It does happen occasionally but it should be very rare. I have also had actual fraud on cards a couple of times.
It's probably also worth noting, in Comenty's defense, that they primarily issue store-brand cards, so aren't used to dealing with charges from varying retailers on the same account.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got an email that from now on, the "free checked bag" benefit will be made easier (you simply won't be charged, rather than being charged and then having to wait for a statement credit).

Having said that, this benefit is useless to those who fly F or MCS, or who have status, so I don't see this as a huge improvement (I'd think that most people who get the card also have status? Or will have it soon? Silver does not require much flying.)
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I just got an email that from now on, the "free checked bag" benefit will be made easier (you simply won't be charged, rather than being charged and then having to wait for a statement credit).

Having said that, this benefit is useless to those who fly F or MCS, or who have status, so I don't see this as a huge improvement (I'd think that most people who get the card also have status? Or will have it soon? Silver does not require much flying.)
It is a huge improvement for many. I know a fair number of people that fly mostly shorthaul VX (with an occasional longhaul) on cheap fares and never end up with status. I was actually surprised to find out that one friend wasn't silver knowing her what should have been frequent-enough travel patterns.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is a huge improvement for many. I know a fair number of people that fly mostly shorthaul VX (with an occasional longhaul) on cheap fares and never end up with status. I was actually surprised to find out that one friend wasn't silver knowing her what should have been frequent-enough travel patterns.
Yeah, not so much if you're a UA captive, but in SF, if you fly AA, VX makes sense for trips to SAN and LAS, for example, and if you do this enough with checked bags the card fee is a no brainer. Of course once you try them you might decide to switch alltogether like I did
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Alaska / Hilton / Amtrak / Avis
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Yeah, I have the silver card almost exclusively for the no-change fee benefit. I only got up to about 18,000 status points, so didn't make it to status. I doubt I'll have close to that this year. I appreciate the bag-fee change. When I used it before it lingered there, even though the counter person said it posts and is refunded the same-day.

I've never had a real problem with the card as noted above in this thread. Plus, I think the reward travel levels is pretty good compared to other cards/programs.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh well, I guess I was wrong then, and people really do use this feature. Good to know it's more convenient now.

Now if only they could change the "no change fee" benefit to work online instead of just over the phone they would be set (if you change your ticket online, you are charged the fee and have to wait for the statement credit; if you change over the phone the agent can waive it right there) I think that this has more to do with VX's computer systems than the credit card, though.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Feb 5, 2015 at 4:18 pm
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VX Gold, HHonors Gold
For a lot of people, it only takes one round trip with a couple of bags to make the $49 fee on the black card a no-brainer. Agree the free bag is not such a headline benefit on the $149 card.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA
Got a statement in the mail the other day, which is odd because I'm signed up with paperless and haven't gotten a hard copy in many months, and in the "additional information" section it informed me my account had been closed.

Called Comenity CS and they were completely baffled, said nothing was wrong and I'm in good standing. They couldn't find any record of that notification. They put a note for the fraud department and just said keep using the card. Go figure.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by chrisremo
Got a statement in the mail the other day, which is odd because I'm signed up with paperless and haven't gotten a hard copy in many months, and in the "additional information" section it informed me my account had been closed.

Called Comenity CS and they were completely baffled, said nothing was wrong and I'm in good standing. They couldn't find any record of that notification. They put a note for the fraud department and just said keep using the card. Go figure.
Wow...

Just a word of warning for anyone canceling the card. Make sure you confirm they're refunding the AF so you don't have to pay it. The rep I spoke of earlier closed my account, but left the AF due. Had I not paid attention it would have caused A LOT of problems when the next statement closed unpaid.

Last edited by Frindle; Feb 6, 2015 at 7:33 pm
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by Vip4me
Wish every airline card would do the no change fee. Best benefit ever!
Thinking of getting the card for this reason. But do they charge it, then credit you, or is it just waived if you call to change flights?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Thinking of getting the card for this reason. But do they charge it, then credit you, or is it just waived if you call to change flights?
I just did this for the first time an hour ago actually. (I'm really glad I kept this card even though I haven't used it for a new flight in months--I had a flight I booked last year that I no longer need.)

When you book the flight, it is charged to your card as normal. If you need to change or cancel it, you have to call Reservations (won't work via the website) and explain what you want. They'll check the system to ensure you booked the reservation with an appropriate card, make the change, and if there's a balance (ie, if your new fare is less than your old fare, or if you cancel outright), the balance will be credited to you as VX fare credit to be used on future bookings. You do not get the balance credited to your card; it can only be used on VX.

So it's not a true "refund" in the sense that you'll get the money back to do with as you wish. But if you're ever planning on traveling on VX again (and I'm sure anyone who bothers taking out a VX credit card falls into this category) it's a great perk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.