FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1537369-new-credit-card-details-comenity-capital-bank.html)

PainCorp Jan 5, 2014 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN (Post 22088902)
Received an invitation email on 1/3/14. The offer is for "valued Elevate members and current Virgin America Visa cardholders". The additional 5,000 bonus points is for preapproved individuals only. The file name of the T&C's states: "vx_cc_preapproved_standard_plus_five". I signed up for the Premium Card so I can easily qualify for Silver Status this year. The APR I received is 15.98%.

Ah, I cancelled my card shortly after the official announcement, maybe why I haven't gotten an email yet.

ZbadhabitZ Jan 5, 2014 3:58 pm

I, too, received the sign-up e-mail, and will note that I do not have any status with VX. I'm assuming most who had the previous card are receiving/will receive the e-mail.

The lack of street address and nowhere to enter your Elevate number are a tad concerning, but I'm sure it'll be hammered out over the next few days. It only went live on Friday, and I would doubt any of our complaints can be rectified until the week starts. I mentioned this in a different thread, but I think my loyalty to VX outweighs the cons of this card. I have no experience with Comenity, but VX is the only airline that I truly wish to fly. I'll need a new card to replace my Barclays, and the thought of signing up for UA or Delta or AA, while fine airlines, just doesn't get me as excited as earning free flights with VX. Hope you all feel similarly.

cringle Jan 5, 2014 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by SoCalZman (Post 22088684)
If you are not happy with the APR or any other aspect of the new card, complain to VX. If you have good credit, 25% seems high

I would speak directly to Comenity instead. Virgin may have provided the preferred cardholder information, but has little say so in how the applications are processed.

mayhem213 Jan 5, 2014 9:25 pm

both of those signup bonus's are terrible

deeply dissapointed since i wanted to fly alot on virgin this yr

teo24 Jan 5, 2014 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by mayhem213 (Post 22092469)
both of those signup bonus's are terrible

deeply dissapointed since i wanted to fly alot on virgin this yr

I agree, JB AMEX was 20k on a card that isn't 149/yr
Barclay Arrival seems good with the 40,000 miles ($400) on signup. But when you compare to VX, 10k on VX gets you almost $300 for a flight. The miles you'll earn are more valuable than a generic travel card (ie Arrival), but far inferior to something like the SWA card (you get 50k miles which is enough for something like 2 or 3 flights).

flyingcat Jan 6, 2014 4:34 am

Originally Posted by tdb27 (Post 22083149)
I'm sure they will be awful with disputes and unauthorized transactions. VX really should have taken a less sweet deal with a more legitimate bank.

Legitimate, don't make me laugh, all of the banks (BofA, Citi, etc) have been in trouble with the law and been investigated numerous times.

patrick.barnes Jan 6, 2014 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcat (Post 22093781)
Legitimate, don't make me laugh, all of the banks (BofA, Citi, etc) have been in trouble with the law and been investigated numerous times.

Comenity is a subprime issuer. I think that's what people are complaining about. Esp with a premium brand like VX.

Edit: Have a look at the T&C: https://d.comenity.net/virginamerica...nditions.xhtml

What's appealing about that?

Compare the latest Barclays HA WEMC to this offering by VX.

Pilot05 Jan 6, 2014 10:55 pm

Application Link now on VA website

Looks like the application link is now live on the VA website. I will probably go for the $149 card. What are the chances they increase the incentive to sign up from 15-20K Elevate points anytime soon? I don't have a great sense of what card issuers do in this case. They presumably know a large number of affinity customers will sign up right away..so why goose the incentives early on?

SoCalZman Jan 6, 2014 11:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I just applied for the Premium.

Got a 7k limit and 15.98% APR (I pay it off every month).

Woot.

teo24 Jan 7, 2014 7:40 am

I was a former VX Barclay card holder. Do you think its worth it to see if I get an email with the additional incentives (as in one offering 15k/20k) or does it seem like everyone who was going to get an email got one already?

Pilot05 Jan 7, 2014 8:36 am

Wait for the email

Originally Posted by teo24 (Post 22102578)
I was a former VX Barclay card holder. Do you think its worth it to see if I get an email with the additional incentives (as in one offering 15k/20k) or does it seem like everyone who was going to get an email got one already?

Wait for the email!:(...I am an Elevate Silver member and had the old Barclays VA card. Today I jumped the gun and applied for the new Premium Card. Was awarded a $25k line and a 15.95% interest rate, with 15,000 Elevate points with $1,000 spend in first 90 days. about an hour after I applied, I received an email offering 25,000 Elevate points with same spend requirements..I called Comenity and asked for the extra...fingers crossed.

teo24 Jan 7, 2014 8:52 am

Will Comenity be able to add the extra points or will we have to go thru VX Elevate people directly? Was going to call VX (or Comenity) and see if they can take care of some extra points since I was a former card holder. Anyone have any ideas of whether VX or Comenity will be the ones to do this?

SoCalZman Jan 7, 2014 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Pilot05 (Post 22102934)
Wait for the email!:(...I am an Elevate Silver member and had the old Barclays VA card. Today I jumped the gun and applied for the new Premium Card. Was awarded a $25k line and a 15.95% interest rate, with 15,000 Elevate points with $1,000 spend in first 90 days. about an hour after I applied, I received an email offering 25,000 Elevate points with same spend requirements..I called Comenity and asked for the extra...fingers crossed.

D'oh! I just got the email offering 25k elevate points too. What did Comenity say?

teo24 Jan 7, 2014 8:55 am

Originally Posted by SoCalZman (Post 22103062)
D'oh! I just got the email offering 25k elevate points too. What did Comenity say?

Do you have status? I don't currently have status so I'm not sure whether I should get my hopes up or not

FastMJ Jan 7, 2014 8:58 am

Please share link to 25K offer

Hi - would you mind sharing a link to the 25K signup? Maybe it will work for us too.

SoCalZman Jan 7, 2014 8:58 am

Originally Posted by teo24 (Post 22103077)
Do you have status? I don't currently have status so I'm not sure whether I should get my hopes up or not

I am a Gold Status member.

teo24 Jan 7, 2014 9:03 am

Conversion of Miles to $$

By what algorithm are they converting miles into $$ with this slider: https://www.virginamerica.com/ads.do

2266 miles = $60 (37.8 miles/$)
74488 miles = $1612 (46.2 miles/$)
Why wouldn't they just use some linear method?

MarkBearSF Jan 7, 2014 9:26 am

Originally Posted by teo24 (Post 22102578)

For what it's worth, I haven't received an email yet. I was a Barclay's card holder and am a silver elevate member. I don't know what process they're using to go through the solicitations, but I figure I'm likely to be midway or so. (My surname begins with "K" and my statement date was the 12th).

Pilot05 Jan 7, 2014 9:36 am

To clarify, I called the service number on my newly-opened VA Visa Premium Card account. 855-871-9842. The first call, the lady was very nice, but transferred me to Virgin Elevate, and nobody picked up. The second call (9842number) to a different lady (also very nice, and maybe a little more confident) sent an email/ noted my account. She completely understood my situation and was going to try and get me the extra 10k elevate points. She said she would call back in 48 hrs. As a first call, I would say friendly custiomer service...Better than Barclays.

SoCalZman Jan 7, 2014 9:46 am

Originally Posted by teo24 (Post 22103132)
By what algorithm are they converting miles into $$ with this slider: https://www.virginamerica.com/ads.do

2266 miles = $60 (37.8 miles/$)
74488 miles = $1612 (46.2 miles/$)
Why wouldn't they just use some linear method?

That's not how VX works. They are points. Not miles. The points are worth a certain amount of cash depending on the day of the flight. I believe they have 2 valuations depending on the weekday. Exact values are on the VX FAQ site

unavaca Jan 7, 2014 9:58 am

Would someone mind sharing a 25k link? If a PM is easier, I'd be happy to try and sanitize the link to see if it can be made suitable for public consumption.

SoCalZman Jan 7, 2014 10:19 am

Originally Posted by unavaca (Post 22103608)
Would someone mind sharing a 25k link? If a PM is easier, I'd be happy to try and sanitize the link to see if it can be made suitable for public consumption.

I am not sure this offer is link specific. I clicked the link in my email and it took me to the same generic apply page that I saw last night. Even after I signed in like it asked me to, the offer details did not change to what it said in the email. Maybe it is something on their back end they see once the user applies. Pilot5 can you confirm you see the same thing?

Pilot05 Jan 7, 2014 10:33 am

Originally Posted by SoCalZman (Post 22103787)
I am not sure this offer is link specific. I clicked the link in my email and it took me to the same generic apply page that I saw last night. Even after I signed in like it asked me to, the offer details did not change to what it said in the email. Maybe it is something on their back end they see once the user applies. Pilot5 can you confirm you see the same thing?

I see the same thing. When I click on the 25K Premium link, it takes me to the generic application page. I suppose the 25k offer is somehow linked in the backend...

I suggest calling the Comenity number I listed in the previous post and ask for the 25k Elevate offer.

jlampert Jan 7, 2014 10:54 am

I don't think the new $149 card will necessarily result in more Elevate members. The old card offered the ability to earn 10,000 status points after $25,000 in spend, and this reduces that number by only $5,000 (you get 10,000 after $20,000) in spend.

I would also be interested in the higher sign-up bonus offer if possible.

jlampert Jan 7, 2014 11:10 am

One other quick thing about the cancellation fee waiver on the $149 card, after reading the T&C, it looks like the cancelled fare gets applied to your VA travel bank. I thought maybe it would be refunded to your original form of payment, but it doesn't look like this is the case.

rumia4 Jan 7, 2014 11:14 am

link problem

Hello. I received the link with the extra points - but when I clicked through and signed in to my virgin account, only the lower points (10K for the signature visa) were offered. I called a phone number that was noted in the email, and the agent that answered offered to adjust my records to get the 20K bonus points after spending $1K in the first 90 days. Yay.

Do call Virgin if you are having a problem with the points...

teo24 Jan 7, 2014 11:25 am

Which Virgin phone # is this? Could you repost so we can refer to that exact number?

SoCalZman Jan 7, 2014 11:43 am

Right, I dont see a phone number in my email. Do you mean the comenity customer service number or virgin itself?

JBauer Jan 7, 2014 12:32 pm

anyone who didnt get this 20k email have luck getting that bonus? trying to figure out if i can.

SoCalZman Jan 7, 2014 1:25 pm

I called comenity customer service. Guy seemed friendly but he didnt seem to know much about the sign up bonus. He said if I got the email, I will get the 25k bonus. I am not going to worry about it much more right now since there doesnt seem to be much more I can do. I will hit $1G very quickly and I will keep an eye on it. If there is an issue I will call them again.

As an aside, Their call center seems to be located within the US, which I consider a big plus over Barclays.

CreditRocks Jan 7, 2014 6:04 pm

What is the difference between Virgin Elevate vs. Flying Club? Looks like they are partners but the Ultimate Rewards only transfer to the Flying Club?

Thanks for the help.

apbailey Jan 7, 2014 6:13 pm

Weird question, but can anyone tell what the form factor of this card is? It appears it's either a regular size card that is printed in "portrait" mode or is basically twice the size of a regular card.

crimsonred Jan 7, 2014 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by CreditRocks (Post 22107134)
What is the difference between Virgin Elevate vs. Flying Club? Looks like they are partners but the Ultimate Rewards only transfer to the Flying Club?

Thanks for the help.

Two different airlines. Elevate is Virgin America's FFP, whereas Flying Club is Virgin Atlantic's FFP.

crabbing Jan 8, 2014 6:23 am

Originally Posted by SoCalZman (Post 22076080)
Virgin America Premium Visa Signature

No change or cancel fees on Virgin America flights

ifrequently fly transcon on business, which typically requires me to buy refundable fares. this benefit would pay for itself the first time i booked a flight.

oddly, although i am gold on virgin, i did not receive the email. granted, i never had any prior VX-branded CC, which may be the reason.

MarkBearSF Jan 8, 2014 9:18 am

Are people still getting emails?
Strangely enough, I have yet to receive one - and I was a long-time user of the Barclay card, am a silver elevate member - and my credit scores are excellent.
...AND I signed up for the notification.
(Yes, I've been checking my junk email folder too)

nnn Jan 8, 2014 11:35 am

Anyone know if the waived change/cancel fees apply to all passengers in the reservation, or only the named cardholder? While the T&C suggest the waiver applies to all passengers (see bolded portion below -- says "a" passenger, not "the" passenger), it is not totally clear:

6-4. Flight Change/Cancel Fee Waiver (for Premium Cardholders only): Premium Cardholders are eligible to receive waived change or cancel fees (as published at virginamerica.com) when purchasing non-refundable fares on Virgin America-operated flights. To receive the waived change or cancel fee benefit, you must include your Elevate account number in your reservation and use your Premium Card to purchase your ticket(s) directly from
Virgin America. Your Credit Card Account must be in open and not in default at the time of making a change or cancellation to an existing reservation. The waived change or cancel fee benefit is only available on paid Virgin America marketed and operated flights; codeshare flights with a Virgin America flight number but operated by another airline are not eligible. The waived change or cancel fee benefit is not valid for Reward Travel, where the published Elevate redeposit fee will apply for cancellations. When changing a reservation, you will be responsible for paying for any difference in fare in accordance with the original purchased fare rules. Premium cardholders must remain a named passenger on the reservation and include their Elevate account number in order to receive the waived change or cancel fee benefit. When changing or cancelling a reservation, any remaining funds will be credited to your Travel Bank account for future travel on Virgin America. The travel credit is valid ithin 12 months from the date of change or cancellation. To make a change or cancellation to an existing reservation, you must call the Virgin America Contact Center at 1.877.FLY.VIRGIN (877.359.8474) from the United States and Canada, 001.877.359.8474 from Mexico, or +1.650.762.7005 from other countries prior to your scheduled flight departure time. If you call from the United States, you may access a complimentary telecommunications relay service by dialing 711.

gu15fo Jan 8, 2014 11:59 am

So I applied and received an email saying "We are reviewing the information you provided, and we will contact you by mail within 7-10 business days." Does this basically mean I was declined. I really hate not being able to earn elevate points with my credit card.

redanman Jan 8, 2014 12:05 pm

VX Barclays Gone

A Generic Barclays MC is the replacement from them, worthless & already cancelled at my house. "Comenity Capital Bank" is on the VX website offering the new cards. Don't fly them enough to do it since PHL-SFO does not allow useful connections (e.g. PDX)

Comenity Capital Bank is from OHIO. There could be from the moon for all I know.

ManagerJosh Jan 8, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm sorry, but if I'm going to be paying an annual fee, the benefits better be decent. However, the benefits seems more of the same and more like the legacy airlines like United or Delta. I might as well pay them the annual fee and have access to a larger travel network.

I like Virgin, but I'm pretty much limited to the west coast networks.

SoCalZman Jan 8, 2014 12:45 pm

I dunno, I plan on splitting some charges between the MC and the VX VISA. I can use the VX visa points for airfare and the MC points for something like hotel/other travel charges.

I have already had one discussion with Comenity customer service. They were very easy to talk to and am happy so far. I am looking forward to using the card and seeing how it goes long term.