Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
got my companion pass too. Boo to the blackout dates!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Why are you seemingly getting bent out of shape, and really, what is the BFD?
It's not the card, it sits in my churning wallet in my drawer, it's the fact that the person replying to the email had absolutely no clue what I was talking about and sent me a canned response.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PainCorp
It's not the card, it sits in my churning wallet in my drawer, it's the fact that the person replying to the email had absolutely no clue what I was talking about and sent me a canned response.
If you were making minimum wage, your response would come out of the same can.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
If you were making minimum wage, your response would come out of the same can.
If you only knew....
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Almost three weeks and still no card. Even longer since the initial "we're replacing your card" email.

Sent VX an email today:

I know Virgin recently changed the co-branded credit card provider from Barclays to Comenity, and I never thought I would say this, but can you switch back to Barclays? I say that jokingly, knowing it can't happen, but I just wanted to forward on my displeasure dealing with Comenity. Their website is ancient and hard to use, the physical quality of the card is horrible, their customer service is not even reading messages before responding to questions and overall does not live up to the Customer Service level that Virgin America holds itself to.

Right after releasing the card they (or possibly Virgin America, the email was from them, signed by Virgin America) realized how poorly the card was made and was going to re-do them. I got that email on February 4th. By the beginning of this month I still had not received a new card, despite the quoted time of "soon," and I don't think anyone considers a month "soon" for delivering a new piece of plastic. I emailed Comenity to ask if I had missed my new card, or when I should expect to see the new and improved card. I got a reply stating that since I had requested a new card they would mail one out to me. It came today and has the same issues as the original one, so they apparently still aren't sending out the fixed card.

While Virgin America is a smaller airline, that doesn't mean Virgin America needs to work with these smaller partners for a sub-par credit card with sub-par service. JetBlue partners with American Express, after all. If it does come time for Virgin America to separate itself from Comenity (pretty please?) and find a new partner (something many would not be opposed to that I've talked to), I would urge you to talk to American Express if you have not in the past/already. Having the Virgin America American Express would provide that extra (if you'll excuse the term) "swag" that Virgin America prides itself on having.

I opened this card and got my bonus points with high hopes for the new provider. It has now been placed in my nightstand drawer, with my Hilton credit card which also no longer gets used. I urge you, fix this so I can justify using the Virgin America credit card again.

Last edited by PainCorp; Mar 17, 2014 at 10:06 pm
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:26 am

Read the last few pages and the first few but don't see the link to this card. What's the current best offer on this card? On the website it's 10k for $49 AF or 15k for $149. That's barely worth it w/o the AF, and the AF just kills the deal no?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:03 pm

I got the annual fee card for the benefits it provides. The sign up bonus was icing on the cake.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:08 pm

Just had a call with Comenity Customer Service

Originally Posted by harpster
Comenity so far has failed - can you believe they say the agreement they have with Visa is a Maximum charge of $4999 per day - I tried today for a charge larger than this and it declined.
What a disappointment! I wonder if this is true for all accounts?
Then they send the card to you next day air (really) why waste money on this service and decline your customer's transactions where you make money?

I was concerned about this reported single charge limit, as I want to make a "seasonal" payment larger than this. I called Comenity and they told me the DAILY charge limit is $15,000 and yes, it CAN be made in a single charge. I will try a large charge and report back in a bit.

Also, I asked about the new, replacement card they were supposed to send me (us) to replace the early cards with minor defects. I was told they did a second batch of cards and they were no better than the first, so they are making changes to try and improve the appearance of the card. We should get them eventually, but as others have noted, the crummy early cards work fine.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:01 pm

Has everyone been receiving the correct number of points when spending money on VX? Last month I noticed I was missing some points from a VX related purchase and I called customer service. She said those points usually follow up to a billing cycle behind. That sounds a bit off to me. This makes me want to go back and check the other statements too.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SoCalZman
Has everyone been receiving the correct number of points when spending money on VX? Last month I noticed I was missing some points from a VX related purchase and I called customer service. She said those points usually follow up to a billing cycle behind. That sounds a bit off to me. This makes me want to go back and check the other statements too.
I did receive my first VX points a month after the statement that they should have appeared on.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:09 pm

Follow-up: Large payment is Possible

Originally Posted by Pilot05
I was concerned about this reported single charge limit, as I want to make a "seasonal" payment larger than this. I called Comenity and they told me the DAILY charge limit is $15,000 and yes, it CAN be made in a single charge. I will try a large charge and report back in a bit.
Okay. I have the new VX Visa premium card with a 25k line. In order to make a large payment (> 15k over a few days) I first needed to pay off an outstanding balance. I did so, and they credited my account, but DID NOT immediately free up my available credit line. When I called they said it would take 7-10 business days to free up my available credit line because I used a personal check for my payment. I spoke with a cust service manager (on a Sunday) and he agreed to 1. expedite the request to free up the line and 2. request a credit line increase to $40k, which is as high as he has ever seen. he said the Comenity folks are really trying to accommodate the former Barclay VX visa people. Sure enough, my Line was increased to 40k two days later. ^

I was able to make a single $15k ( a little less to be safe) payment on the card today without a problem.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:05 am

he said the Comenity folks are really trying to accommodate the former Barclay VX visa people. Sure enough, my Line was increased to 40k two days later. ^

I was able to make a single $15k ( a little less to be safe) payment on the card today without a problem.
Glad to hear they are making the extra effort. I wonder if VX card holders tend to spend more or less the industry average via their cards.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SoCalZman
Glad to hear they are making the extra effort. I wonder if VX card holders tend to spend more or less the industry average via their cards.
Don't they normally issue Department Store cards? I would assume more....
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:43 pm

Still haven't received my 20k bonus miles. Was just informed by VX@Comenity that it may take 1-2 billing cycles after the end of the three month promo period. My three month period ran Early Jan - Early April, so I guess I won't see them 'till the summer...
As for the replacement card, some of them have already gone out and my account has been "flagged for expedition", so the new card should arrive in 7-10 days.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:47 pm

There doesn't actually appear to be a $15k limit, by the way. I did a $20k transaction earlier this week that went through fine.

(Just to say what seems to be going unsaid in this thread -- paying taxes on the premium card seems to be an easy and quick way to get to the max 15k status points early in the year and thus get to Gold more quickly, and the redemption value of the points you get by doing so is substantially more than the 1.78% fees you get charged to pay taxes by credit card.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.