Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America - best in US, really?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Virgin America - best in US, really?

I just took my first roundtrip on VX and had some other ticketting/award experience with them.

If this is the best airline in US, I wonder how bad others are.

First for positive:
- in my small sample size, flights departed and landed early
- IFE was great to kill time
- Mostly staff seem to be professional

But for negatives:
- ran into some unusally rude FA (Crystal) on flight from SFO - very surprising for any FA to be so bad on any airline (but lets ignore it as all businesses have bad apples)

- unbelievably difficult time trying to get VS and VX to coordinate for award tickets (points were there, seats were thers - just two sister companies couldnt coordinate - had to give up)

- BIGGEST NEGATIVE it takes few minutes (or hours) to show charge for full fare ticket to show up on credit card but why does refund takes 5+ weeks?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:00 am

"- ran into some unusally rude FA (Crystal) on flight from SFO - very surprising for any FA to be so bad on any airline (but lets ignore it as all businesses have bad apples)

- unbelievably difficult time trying to get VS and VX to coordinate for award tickets (points were there, seats were thers - just two sister companies couldnt coordinate - had to give up)"

Please contact the company about this....venting on here won't fix the issue. It's important to let them know your experience.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Sorry to see your negative experience with the FA, OP. I think the very strong consensus among us VX regulars is that VX FAs are among the friendliest and most helpful in the world.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:24 am

You're right, the process of redeeming points for flights on other airlines is a nightmare, since the other airlines release so few seats for these types of bookings. In my experience, the agents are really helpful, however, in trying to make your flight work by checking other cities and dates that could work.

As far as the credit card refunds, that's mostly dependent on your credit card company or your bank. Virgin releases the credit information to them within 24 hours but they all have different processes for adding back a refund. Some even wait for the end of your billing cycle, which can draw it out. I use Amex mostly and haven't had it take any more than 5 days at most.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: sad kettle
^ def true re: refunds, it's usually the bank/credit card company's policy that gets in the way. Never any issue with Amex or Citi.

But I must say, after all the hype I've heard about Virgin from friends etc, I wasn't blown away after my 1st trans-con flight with them recently.
I did appreciate their timeliness, nice GA, comfy seats, and mood lighting.

BUT, IFE was pricey ($8 a movie, seriously!?) unless less you wanted to watch CNN or sitcom reruns, Wifi wasn't free (then again whose is?) the onscreen drink ordering system didn't seem to work (I ended up just having to ask a FA), and worse (at least for me) no snacks a la Jetblue!

I'll still give them another try tho if the opportunity comes up =)
Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Also very small sample size, but ...

Positives --
in-air first class service was excellent
food very good.
Seat comfortable though a bit hard.
Mood lighting great.

Negatives --
* Unable to modify secure flight profile online to add known traveler number, needed to call, and unknown if it was actually added correctly (did not get TSA-PRE).
* Ground staff seemed very untrained, not pre-boarding handicapped pax, leaving wheelchair in middle of line, etc ...
* No closet to hang up garment bag with suit -- every other first class cabin I have ever been in has had one.
* Required phone call to upgrade to first class -- why can't this be done online?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by some dude
Also very small sample size, but ...

Negatives --
* Required phone call to upgrade to first class -- why can't this be done online?
FC upgrades become available online six hours before departure.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
If you have previously checked in, I don't think that function functions.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
If you've already checked-in online in Main Cabin, you can always inquire if there are any upgrades available for a fee at the airport gate before departure.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I specifically did not check in at the 24 hour mark (my normal procedure on other airlines) to allow for this upgrade, after reading the FAQ. Since the flight was at 9AM, that meant the 6 hour window was 3AM (highly inconvenient timing -- to be customer friendly, it really should be at least 10 red/ 20 silver / 30 gold or something like that, rather than 6/12/24). Fortunately, a friend with insomnia promised that he would be awake at that hour anyway, so I provided him with my reservation number (booked through a corporate travel agent), as well as a separate reservation number for my Fiancé (booked from virginamerica.com).
Neither upgrade was successful online (unknown exact reason as I didn't do it myself), and he had to call.

The reservation was not checked in until I woke up at 6AM to do it myself. At that point, the first class cabin was booked solid. At the time I went to sleep, there were still 4 seats available in FC, suggesting that calling in at 3AM is probably the only way to get that upgrade.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by some dude
Since the flight was at 9AM, that meant the 6 hour window was 3AM (highly inconvenient timing -- to be customer friendly, it really should be at least 10 red/ 20 silver / 30 gold or something like that, rather than 6/12/24).
Are you serious.... 10,20, and 30 hours prior?? Pretty sure this suggestion will not be considered anywhere. That is ludicrous. Changing to those times wont do any good, sure maybe for your flight at 9AM THIS TIME but NEXT time it may be at 10PM. All this will do is make people have a headache trying to crunch times in their head.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Thanks for this post! I was going to buy a ticket to try them out from LAX to JFK as the new United is not the best choice anymore service wise. Virgin America sounds just as mediocre though as United, but still better than Delta. I will just abet a business class ticket on American's new A321 instead. Good to hear your flights were ontime, but it is not good to read about the negative service from the FA.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:49 pm

I had several trips planned where VX was the most appealing option even though I don't have status with them. However their limited schedule led me to choose AA/UA (both of which I have status on) because I was afraid of being a whole day waiting for the next flight in case of IROPS.

Actually, same thing goes for VS ORD-LHR too.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:27 pm

Comment deleted.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
Thanks for this post! I was going to buy a ticket to try them out from LAX to JFK as the new United is not the best choice anymore service wise. Virgin America sounds just as mediocre though as United, but still better than Delta. I will just abet a business class ticket on American's new A321 instead. Good to hear your flights were ontime, but it is not good to read about the negative service from the FA.
I'd give DL a try. Service better than ever and an airline that seems to be in real service oriented mode. Also really doing well financially reflecting great management and customer satisfaction. Different airlines than 5 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.