Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Challenges with VX aren't VX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United silver, American Platinum, Marriott platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz gold, Avis First
Challenges with VX aren't VX

I flew SFO-ORD and back a few weeks ago. Since I've started seeing other airlines since I broke up with United in March, I was interested to see how this airline was different.

Overall, I was very intrigued with the experience. An upgrade on the way there got me an exit row aisle with all the amenities I could sample, as well as a VX worker in the seat next to me. The plane was good, the staff were wonderful. On the way back, same sort of deal.

The problems weren't that. The problems were the passengers. On each flight, the person immediately in front of me had issues. On the flight out, it was someone that boarded in group ZZ complaining there was no room for their bag, and someone else had taken HER spot in the overhead. After an attentive FA got involved, the issue was resolved with said pax being cranky for the rest of the flight.

On the flight back, it was someone that was upset a tall and broad person with a laptop needing to work would strongly prefer she not recline her seat into his lap. Also wouldn't switch seats when asked. Also pointed out that since the seat next to me was empty, I could put my legs and laptop there since my legs are apparently supposed to bend sideways. Also announced to the whole cabin that she had a peanut allergy and insisted the flight attendant make an announcement to the entire front section of the cabin. Who then proceeded to take another open seat (thankfully), recline the seat the whole way, AND put her knees up on the seat in front of her, preventing the person in front of her from reclining his seat (sigh).

The fun part was after the landing, where a bunch of folks apologized for not supporting me by agreeing with me during the flight, and some others who she ended up sitting next to were grousing about her as well.

I would typically write both of this issues off to things that happen now and again, and the entropy of the universe was enjoying itself. However, given the "status" (perceived or otherwise) of flying VX over a standard US carrier, I wonder if these issues are more common on VX.

Thoughts? Experiences? I'd be happy to fly VX again if given the opportunity, but it may well not be my first choice.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Sounds random to me. I have annoying people on Virgin and every other airline I've been on, I think you just had the bad luck of twice in a row. Regarding the recline issue, I'm off the school that one is entitled to recline the seat back to its full recline, although I don't do it unless I feel it's necessary.

Another good part about the upgraded Main Cabin Select seats is not only do you get extra legroom, but the row in front of you cannot recline as you are in the exit row (or if in Row 3 there is nobody in front of you).
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:38 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Moral Of This Story...

NEVER fly in steerage!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United silver, American Platinum, Marriott platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz gold, Avis First
Depends on how steerage is defined. Still figuring out VX assignments, but on other US carriers the seats forward of the exit row aren't steerage - which is where I was. My rule of thumb - if I can work on a laptop, it's not steerage. If I can't, it is. What's interesting is that I use the exact same term to refer to non E+/MCE seats.

I can see (unfortunately, darnit) both sides of the seat recline argument. When the same person takes both sides of the argument during the same flight, I've got an issue.

Personally, I try never to recline and I've seen laptops broken when people do without thinking/realizing. I can understand the people that do choose to recline, and don't intend to open that jihad
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Main Cabin Select are the two rows with extra legroom that recline, on an A320 thats 3 and 10, on an A319 thats 3 and 8. Virgin recently rebranded rows forward of the exit row as "Main Cabin Express." The seats are no different than the back of the bus, they are just closer to the front and allow earlier boarding and most recently bundled in priority security as well. Note that on the A320 row 9 also has extra legroom, but does not recline and as such is not included in Main Cabin Select.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Sounds random to me. I have annoying people on Virgin and every other airline I've been on, I think you just had the bad luck of twice in a row.
I'm not sure about the random part. I've been on maybe a dozen VX flights, all in the F, and most of those flights have included which I would characterize as "abnormal pax" behavior. Most involve at least one pax that falls in the obnoxious, stupid and/or just plain selfish kettle category. By contrast, I rarely have that experience in the F cabins on AA or DL. Suspect that it is more a function of fewer frequent/experienced pax that tend to fly VX.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 22, 2013 at 10:25 pm
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:45 pm

I fly VX monthly in all varieties (Main, MCS, F) and haven't noticed any issues. I did have one where the girl across the aisle in 1a had a dog and there's no underseat storage at the bulkhead so she was freaking out that the FA was going to take her dog to the back of the plane but other than that, nothing really.

Actually the only thing of note was sitting directly behind Vince Vaughn last summer and I don't think anyone would consider that bad.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
I've never flown VX in F, but the weird-pax factor on VX seems no higher or lower than on other airlines. I would agree that VX seems to have fewer elites, so the overall flying experience factor may be lower than on legacy airlines.

VX's FA's also seem a a bit more polite/accommodating so perhaps this plays into it.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by SilentMonarch
the entropy of the universe was enjoying itself.
I think this is your answer...

I have flown VX much more this year than ever before, mostly in F, and it seems more the same than different relative to other airlines. (well, there is the white leather and mood lighting...)

Most interesting flight was to Vegas, and the two 'ladies' seated near me were proudly proclaiming that they were going to a party, and that somebody had paid for their trip because they 'are so pretty'. But, this type of behavior probably happens on lots of flights / airlines with destination LAS...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.