Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Experience redeeming VX miles on International Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience redeeming VX miles on International Partners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
If I redeem UK-US the taxes on Virgin Atlantic's website are $562 but Virgin America's online flight calculation tool shows taxes as being $1,200. Which one do they charge?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by onlysuites
If I redeem UK-US the taxes on Virgin Atlantic's website are $562 but Virgin America's online flight calculation tool shows taxes as being $1,200. Which one do they charge?
Are you possibly confusing round trip and one way?

In any event I've found that they use the amount shown on VX webpage.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedwoodA320
Are you possibly confusing round trip and one way?

In any event I've found that they use the amount shown on VX webpage.
No. Their taxes are definitely around $562 return. Which sounds about right anyway. $200 for the APD and $150 + $150 YQ and the rest Airport taxes. I don't know any airline that charges $1,200 tax from the UK.

Can anyone else confirm what they were charged?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic
Is there a better phone # to call than the gold desk? I got the "I have to fill out a form and someone will call you back" response....
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Keep calling
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. Their taxes are definitely around $562 return. Which sounds about right anyway. $200 for the APD and $150 + $150 YQ and the rest Airport taxes. I don't know any airline that charges $1,200 tax from the UK.

Can anyone else confirm what they were charged?
Bump. Anyone?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:27 am
Suspended

Bump. Anyone?
I paid $500 something for a one way LHR-JFK
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:27 am
Suspended

Never booked round trip originating in UK.

Call and ask, and point them to the VS fees if they tell you it'll be $1K
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedwoodA320
I paid $500 something for a one way LHR-JFK
^
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:54 pm

am i correct that using VX points to redeem VA LAX-BNE/SYD/MEL J cabin seats is basically chasing unicorns?

anyone has any recent experience to share? how far out do you need to start looking?

Last edited by gnomey; Sep 20, 2016 at 3:04 pm
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gnomey
am i correct that using VX points to redeem VA LAX-BNE/SYD/MEL J cabin seats is basically chasing unicorns?

anyone has any recent experience to share? how far out do you need to start looking?
No personal experience, but I'm tempted to book whatever is available now, then look for VA availability at T-1 week. If found, book that and cancel original, paying the associated fee if necessary (decent chance schedule will have occurred, allowing free cancellation).

For 45k each way, it's cheap enough that the above could make sense.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS

You can sometimes find availability about a week or two out. Anything ahead of that does not exist. Same with the partner redemption's for SQ, which are just plain non existent.

I built up a point balance of about 1/2 a million hoping to start redeeming for international J travel and haven't been able to use any of it.

Advertising partners where availability is non-existent is not a business practice I condone and have moved my 50K - 75K a year in spend elsewhere. VX was a fun 1 year experiment but the ride is over for me.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
No personal experience, but I'm tempted to book whatever is available now, then look for VA availability at T-1 week. If found, book that and cancel original, paying the associated fee if necessary (decent chance schedule will have occurred, allowing free cancellation).

For 45k each way, it's cheap enough that the above could make sense.
Originally Posted by esquesk
You can sometimes find availability about a week or two out. Anything ahead of that does not exist. Same with the partner redemption's for SQ, which are just plain non existent.

I built up a point balance of about 1/2 a million hoping to start redeeming for international J travel and haven't been able to use any of it.

Advertising partners where availability is non-existent is not a business practice I condone and have moved my 50K - 75K a year in spend elsewhere. VX was a fun 1 year experiment but the ride is over for me.
thanks both. yeah i never collect miles in VX all this while. but now suddenly i have a pile of them bc of the Jetblue match. so i am figuring out what to do with it. i guess the other option is to wait till VX merge with AS and hope VX points become AS miles. but the problem is my VX points are expiring in Dec 2017 so need some plan to either use it or prevent it from expiring.

--------------

i guess besides VA to australia, my other options are

1) VS to london. but this has high fuel surcharge
2) EK flights ex-Dubai to wherever
3) HA to maui.

are these also chasing unicorns?

--------------

other questions
* what is this burn desk that everyone is talking abt? is that the award redemption dept?
* is it much easier to redeem VA domestic flights using VX points?

Last edited by gnomey; Sep 21, 2016 at 4:40 pm
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:11 pm

I just got back from a trip to Australia. I booked my flight out the day before I left, and then my flight back just after landing. Use delta.com to check for availability before calling the burn desk. Use expertflyer to predict which flights will be available. I booked business class, and if a flight had >=12 seats available, it ended up becoming reservable with points anywhere from 1-6 days ahead of time. Mid-week is much more likely, but I did see weekend availability with as few as 4 seats showing as available in business (but only released the day before).

FYI, 90,000 points return (since I ended up having to book 2 one-ways), plus $100 or so in fees. I booked separate Virgin domestic flights to get to LAX.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
* is it much easier to redeem VA domestic flights using VX points?
Exceedingly easy. Just do it off of the website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.