Experience redeeming VX miles on International Partners

Old Feb 4, 14, 9:59 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Virgin America Partner Booking Desk

Virgin America Partner Booking Desk agents are phenomenal. Few interesting points based on a Virgin Australia booking between OZ/NZ:

- Queenstown, NZ isn't on Virgin Australia's city drop down list yet booked without issue
- Return from Queenstown to Sydney had no availability so agent suggested an open jaw from AKL @:-)
- Itinerary (SYD-ZQN & AKL-SYD) priced at 16,000 points and $121 in taxes (vs. SYD-AKL roundtrip would have priced same points but $180 in taxes)
- Received personalized email from booking agent with itinerary once VA acknowledged receipt
- Reservation isn't confirmed-confirmed until ticketing (1-3 business days)

All in all a great experience ^
Old Feb 4, 14, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
How long did the whole procedure take?
Old Feb 5, 14, 1:11 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Was on the phone 31 minutes which seems long, but I requested she check availability on EK, too. Agent shared VA's system response time is arduously slow (plausible being an Australia company )
Old Jun 8, 14, 1:42 pm

Programs: LH FTL
Singapore Airlines partner availability doesn't match up with the ANA tool. I checked for business class on Singapore - Bangkok, and there was a rather large mismatch in business class award availability.
Old Jun 9, 14, 9:08 am

I am totally confused - can I or can't I redeem on Singapore for A380 or 77W F class ?
Old Oct 10, 15, 7:00 am

A couple of times every year Virgin Atlantic has a mileage rewards sale. If you redeem VX miles for a VS flight during the sale period does the rewards sale apply?
Old Oct 11, 15, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Drolmala View Post
A couple of times every year Virgin Atlantic has a mileage rewards sale. If you redeem VX miles for a VS flight during the sale period does the rewards sale apply?
No
Old Oct 13, 15, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
I spent 40 mins on the phone awaiting availability search on a single day on Singapore Air, only to be told there were no seats in any class on any of the 5 flights offered (HKG-SIN). Wasn't surprised to learn of no availability, but was surprised the hold time was that long.
Old Oct 16, 15, 1:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, UA Silver, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Adding a data point: I just booked 4 upper class tix to LHR for next summer on VS, using Elevate points.

I had searched the VS site to find where there was availability for 4 UC tickets (none from SFO or LAX; lots from ORD, turns out), so I knew the exact flight I was asking about -- making this significantly easier.

But the agent was very competent and got it booked in maybe 15 minutes, including taking down some passport info for all four members of my family.

Nice Gold perk: if I need to change plans (e.g., if availability from SFO comes up), no change fee as long as it's 2 hours before takeoff; and if I need to outright cancel, I get all of my Elevate points back and they credit all of the fuel surcharges back to my card. So although it's "nonrefundable," it's actually 100% refundable.

Last edited by shza; Oct 16, 15 at 2:47 pm
Old Oct 16, 15, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you mix VX on partner award bookings?
Old Oct 16, 15, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by shza View Post
But the agent was very competent and got it booked in maybe 15 minutes, including taking down some passport info for all four members of my family.
Do you know who you dealt with at redemptions? I'll recommend Patti.

Originally Posted by shza View Post
Nice Gold perk: if I need to change plans (e.g., if availability from SFO comes up), no change fee as long as it's 2 hours before takeoff; and if I need to outright cancel, I get all of my Elevate points back and they credit all of the fuel surcharges back to my card. So although it's "nonrefundable," it's actually 100% refundable.
Gold on VX or VS? I was also told it was non-refundable, and changes were $100.
Old Oct 16, 15, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, UA Silver, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by abeille View Post
Angela

Gold on VX, no status on VS (haven't flown it since 1999). She told me I'd need to go through VX for any change or cancellation, since VS wouldn't be able to do anything about it.
Old Oct 16, 15, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold

Patti is excellent!

Gold on VX gets you fee-free Elevate Reward cancellations, which includes Elevate Reward partner flights.
Old Nov 8, 15, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Experience redeeming VX miles on International Partners

Could somebody point me in a direction of a partner award chart, specifically Singapore Airlines for VX redemptions? I can't seem to find it. Looking to fly NRT-SIN
Old Nov 8, 15, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted.

Last edited by UA Fan; Nov 8, 15 at 11:16 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: