Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Virgin America misses payroll (ADP reportedly takes responsibility for it as mistake)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America misses payroll (ADP reportedly takes responsibility for it as mistake)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum Medallion, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
1) End of third quarter 2012:
Cash: $14,800,000
Short Term Investments: $60,002,000 (same number as end of Q2)
2) Air Traffic Liabilities at end of third quarter 2012: $143,711,000
3) $23,518,000 (end of third quarter 2011 unrest cash/equiv on hand) + $150,000,000 (loan from hedge funds; likely Cyrus Capital and Virgin Group) - $159,815,000 (unrest cash/equiv on hand end of fourth quarter 2011) = $13,703,000 fourth quarter 2011 cash burn.
4) To help complete the math problem, $159,815,000 (unrest cash/equiv on hand end of fourth quarter 2011) - $110,809,000 (unrest cash/equiv on hand end of first quarter 2012) = $49,006,000 first quarter 2012 cash burn

SocalApproach, customers buy airline tickets with the assumption that they will be in business on the day that they fly that airline. When an airline is in shaky financial condition, it is best to take protective steps to make sure you don't get burned. Such as not purchasing tickets more than 90 days prior to departure, and only purchasing tickets via credit card. I am simply cautioning fellow travelers to be careful with future ticket purchases on Virgin America. Until Cyrus Capital/Virgin Group writes another check for $150 million, it is questionable whether the company is a going concern ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_concern ). This company has had a net loss of $120,394,000 in the first three quarters of 2012. That's not chump change.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:13 pm

It was established, several posts back, that this is a non-issue. Virgin did meet its payroll, and this was an issue with ADP. Why are people still pulling out their "big number ammo and extra-detailed analysis" on this? it's like they're hoping for failure. I know this site is full of wannabe airline executives, but maybe the thread should be closed.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
Because they'd rather waste their time on this....

Originally Posted by cringle
It was established, several posts back, that this is a non-issue. Virgin did meet its payroll, and this was an issue with ADP. Why are people still pulling out their "big number ammo and extra-detailed analysis" on this? it's like they're hoping for failure. I know this site is full of wannabe airline executives, but maybe the thread should be closed.
Makes some people feel self-important, i guess...?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:30 pm

No, it was never proven that this was an issue with ADP. So far none of the employees here referring to it that way have any proof that it was anything other than the fault of VX. So, it is a big deal. They messed up and faied to tell their employees until after they hadn't been paid on time. That is a big deal.

Last edited by HRDiva; Feb 10, 2013 at 6:52 pm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:54 pm

The employees that I have spoken to were paid the same day.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:50 pm

The employees that I have spoken to were paid the same day.
What employees? You?

For the last and final time for those that don't read. Direct deposit did not work due to an error (my years of experience say it was a VX error, but one person on the web said it was ADP's fault but won't come back to prove it). People expecting to be paid on 1/31 had to wait for a check in the mail. If they were on a trip, it was a several day wait. Then they had to deposit it and be subject to deposit holds.

Stop arguing about payroll procedures in an attempt to mask the truth. You are arguing with someone who knows how payroll is processed, the law and teaches it.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by HRDiva
What employees? You?

For the last and final time for those that don't read. Direct deposit did not work due to an error (my years of experience say it was a VX error, but one person on the web said it was ADP's fault but won't come back to prove it). People expecting to be paid on 1/31 had to wait for a check in the mail. If they were on a trip, it was a several day wait. Then they had to deposit it and be subject to deposit holds.

Stop arguing about payroll procedures in an attempt to mask the truth. You are arguing with someone who knows how payroll is processed, the law and teaches it.

This lady is a total whack job! Lol She has some demented agenda against VX. Everyone ignore her. Our company has taken great care of us and the issue has been resolved. We've all moved on. See you in the skies!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
This lady is a total whack job! Lol She has some demented agenda against VX. Everyone ignore her. Our company has taken great care of us and the issue has been resolved. We've all moved on. See you in the skies!
I have reported your post as a personal attack. How dare you.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
HRDiva is absolutely certain that ADP is not at fault after all how can they ever be wrong. I'm sure its possible for Virgin to make a mistake but in her mind there is no possible scenario where ADP can ever mess up.

She says she knows from experience so she was probably party to this before. Hmm I wonder which role she was in, the smaller company making the mistake or ADP the monolith wondering why the little people can't figure out their easy to use system.

Mind you the rest of us grounded in reality know better.

HRDiva are you Chris Dorner??

Please lock, VXCabinCrew is right this thread has gone so far off the rails we are at ludicrous speed.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcat
HRDiva is absolutely certain that ADP is not at fault after all how can they ever be wrong. I'm sure its possible for Virgin to make a mistake but in her mind there is no possible scenario where ADP can ever mess up.

She says she knows from experience so she was probably party to this before. Hmm I wonder which role she was in, the smaller company making the mistake or ADP the monolith wondering why the little people can't figure out their easy to use system.

Mind you the rest of us grounded in reality know better.

HRDiva are you Chris Dorner??

Please lock, VXCabinCrew is right this thread has gone so far off the rails we are at ludicrous speed.
I never said I was sure. I have cited how the mistake could have happened and that it would be operator error. I said there could possibly be another scenario. I asked the red juicers to prove it. So far no one has done so. Rather they have launched personal attacks.

I think you are all the same person posting and I know who you are. What a joke. And I have reported this post as a personal attack too.

Last edited by HRDiva; Feb 10, 2013 at 9:41 pm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Good lord -- clean up on aisle 4.

Enough!

-AZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.