Wiki Posts
Search

Maintaining First-only bathroom.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold

i realize this sounds incredibly pretentious, but I thought I should post this.I took a redeye in First from LAX-JFK. It was a pleasant flight, with just one exception. Many Y passangers came into the first class cabin to use the restroom. I found that additional foot traffic bothersome.
Again, sorry for rant. I'd be interested to here other thoughts.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:50 pm

Have noticed this a few times lately on VX flights. Some pax who sit in row 3(MCS) tend to make there way forward when able. The announcement about lavs is always made but seems ignored.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by adrouault
i realize this sounds incredibly pretentious, but I thought I should post this.I took a redeye in First from LAX-JFK. It was a pleasant flight, with just one exception. Many Y passangers came into the first class cabin to use the restroom. I found that additional foot traffic bothersome.
Again, sorry for rant. I'd be interested to here other thoughts.
Unfortunately, this has been my experience as well.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:57 pm

Had the same experience last week on my DFW-SFO flight.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:42 am
Original Poster

And it's not just row three. I've seen people come up from the middle of the plane. I honestly think there should be a curtain of sorts to separate the two cabins.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My personal experience is that VX tries to enforce the F lav 'exclusivity' a lot better than AS does.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
My personal experience is that VX tries to enforce the F lav 'exclusivity' a lot better than AS does.
I'll second that one. AS is awful in that regard. And AA isn't far behind especially since they no longer make lav announcements. IME, DL is probably the best domestic for F lav announcements and enforcement.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 4:46 pm

i find this annoying too. while it may sound a bit pretentious, the reality is that a transcon first class ticket is not inexpensive (whether purchasing the ticket or paying for an upgrade), and part of the reason people are willing to pay the substantial difference in price is due to a desire for increased privacy. It's really annoying to either not be able to use the bathroom due to a long line of people from the main cabin, or constantly having to deal with the foul odor of the bathroom door being constantly opened and closed while trying to have dinner.

This really is an issue I wish the airline would fix, considering all it really takes would be the flight attendants (politely) asking passengers to use their assigned bathroom.

Last edited by luigi1988; Oct 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm Reason: wrote expensive instead of inexpensive
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luigi1988
i find this annoying too. while it may sound a bit pretentious, the reality is that a transcon first class ticket is not expensive (whether purchasing the ticket or paying for an upgrade), and part of the reason people are willing to pay the substantial difference in price is due to a desire for increased privacy. It's really annoying to either not be able to use the bathroom due to a long line of people from the main cabin, or constantly having to deal with the foul odor of the bathroom door being constantly opened and closed while trying to have dinner.

This really is an issue I wish the airline would fix, considering all it really takes would be the flight attendants (politely) asking passengers to use their assigned bathroom.
My main problem was when I had to use the facilities after a good few hour rest. There were two people waiting, and they were from Main Cabin.
When I fly MC, I expect to have to wait for a toilet.
Not when I'm in First.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
And it's not just row three. I've seen people come up from the middle of the plane. I honestly think there should be a curtain of sorts to separate the two cabins.
Yes, while there isnt a curtain, but I've seen them using some red furry rope in a megger attempt to halt folks. But from what I can tell, the F FA's tend to begin turning folks away once the Y food service is going on (that's been the case on my recent trips on my F transcontinental flights. Guess they figure it's best to send folks up to the front rather than moving the cart to the front and sending folks to the back!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:17 pm

I actually agree that it's annoying as well. It's not pretentious.... you are PAYING for that service. That's what First Class is all about and why the prices (or the frequent flying you did to earn those seats) is so high. Just like people who can pay for a suite at Four Seasons or can hire a private chef in their home... the more money you have, the more you get exclusive to you. Doesn't matter if you are a businessman, or you look like a scrub, or you're 7 years old. Welcome to America.

I know some people look at First Class and think "well it's an empty bathroom so I'll use it" and I don't blame them. But really the flight attendants should be saying "these people paid for this bathroom, you paid for the one in the back. use the one in the back, sorry."

It's the FA's fault for not enforcing the rules.

E
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:55 pm

I'm going to disagree here. I just don't care and it's a service I pay for often. It just doesn't matter to me. 8 people don't need one bathroom and while I appreciate the effort to make me feel special, I don't need it.

Now if a load of people are blatantly ignoring this and there's a line up front then yes, it's a problem but on all of the VX flights I've flown in F there's generally just a few people brave enough to ignore the rules.

As someone that prefers the bulkhead row of MCS, I think that at the very least they should extend that bathroom to the MCS passengers in the bulkhead rows. It's a pain in the ... to walk to the back of the plane from row 3.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Mike_K
As someone that prefers the bulkhead row of MCS, I think that at the very least they should extend that bathroom to the MCS passengers in the bulkhead rows. It's a pain in the ... to walk to the back of the plane from row 3.
I agree with this totally. MCS should get access to the First bathroom.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethanwa
I agree with this totally. MCS should get access to the First bathroom.
I'd say not all of MCS. Row three, but not exit rows. No, this isn't abitrary, it's due to the fact that if row 9 pax can use the toilet up front, the thought of pax in the surrounding rows will be, if they can use it, so can I. Then, passengers in rows 3-10 will be using the front restroom.
Sorry, I'd rather not have 60 additional people walking past my seat during the flight.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:11 pm

I'd say not all of MCS. Row three, but not exit rows. No, this isn't abitrary, it's due to the fact that if row 9 pax can use the toilet up front, the thought of pax in the surrounding rows will be, if they can use it, so can I. Then, passengers in rows 3-10 will be using the front restroom.
Sorry, I'd rather not have 60 additional people walking past my seat during the flight.
What I meant was just row 3, sorry i wasn't clear on that in my other post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.