Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Main Cabin "Express"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Main Cabin "Express"

VX now has Main Cabin "Express" seats. For $20, you get to board before the rest of Main Cabin and sit towards the front of the plane (rows 5, 6, 9 and sometimes 7). I tend to book early, so I guess I've always been sitting in Express seats, although the express part has only been getting off the plane as Row 5 has always been boarding group "F". Not worth the money to me, but some folks will like it I'm sure to get the overhead bin space.

http://virginamerica.custhelp.com/ap...dEUzZzdfNGw%3D
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:23 am

The only time this would be beneficial is if somehow I needed two seats together, and I'm booking a few days before a flight- and the ONLY way we'd sit together is MC Express.

Other than that, it's not useful at all, and I'm the kind of person who NEVER checks a bag, but I'm only saving 2-3 minutes of deplaning.

It is however, I believe, designed as a tiny perk for high tier elevate members, to be able to book the front of the plane if they don't get upgrades. Which I see as a small perk that doesn't change the airlines day to day operations, but makes passengers feel good.

What MC Express should offer, and is a point of contingency with VX, is priory check in/security at JFK. JFK is the ONLY airport that VX serves that is housed ENTIRELY in an international terminal. Security is INSANE at Terminal 4, and 50% of the time I fly VX out of JFK, VX employees are coming down the long security line and picking up passengers who are flying domestically as they WILL miss their flights.

MC Express would offer me NO advantage in getting to the airport sooner, as JFK security is abysmal since the majority of T4 passengers are fumbling for their passports, or don't understand basic English directions.

I'll fly to JFK with VX in a heartbeat, but won't fly out from them simply because I've come too close to missing flights TOO many times. I'm not arriving at the airport more than 60 minutes before my flight if I'm not checking a bag and flying domestically. Hell, most of the time I like to arrive 30 minutes before my flight.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
great development, I'll gladly pay the 20
Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:30 pm

This Main Cabin Express really offers nothing...

Why can't Virgin just do something similar to Jetblue "EML Even More Legroom" program? I really need something more than just priority boarding. Priority airport security lane and two or three inches of extra legroom.

I know Virgin offers MCS, but Main Cabin Select is very expensive especially on transcontinental flights. I know if it gives free food and beverages and entertainment, but that is just not good enough.

Carfield
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield

Why can't Virgin just do something similar to Jetblue "EML Even More Legroom" program? I really need something more than just priority boarding. Priority airport security lane and two or three inches of extra legroom.

I know Virgin offers MCS, but Main Cabin Select is very expensive especially on transcontinental flights. I know if it gives free food and beverages and entertainment, but that is just not good enough.

Carfield
If you have a dinner, a snack, 2 drinks, and a movie- MCS is pretty great.
Don't forget your $25 dollar bag checked for free.

Not always worth a double-ticket price, but sometimes they have sales on the MCS and First, as well as reasonable upgrade costs.

It's true MCE (or should it be MCX) offers pretty much nothing. I think it's more-or-less just a tiny perk for frequent fliers who will get it for free at time of booking.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield

Carfield
I'm going to assume this is a typo. Because what you just said is exactly what jetblue offers in their EML so if VX offers that then what is the fuss? Like I said probably a typo...

Anyhow VX cannot afford to offer more legroom in more than 2 rows of the aircraft because they have a first class cabin and more often than not that cabin goes out empty or on an upgraded price on anything besides a transcon to/from JFK. No one really pays full fare on VX first class on anything shorter than 2 and half hours. They only have 149 seats on board it would be considerably less with more legroom seats like jetblue. But then all of VX flights would make NO money! They already have a low RASM. It would be disastrous if VX only had 139 seats on board to make room for more legroom economy seats. And dont think about only having this on certain flights because then there is the problem of not having a universal fleet along with having basically 4 classes of service on a A320! ridiculous if they went along with that.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:44 am

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Companions?

If a Gold member travels with a companion on the same reservation, the companion is required to pay the $20 fee to sit in the Xpress seats. So basically I am penalized for bringing a companion along. I was also told I would have to divide my wife from my PNR if I wanted to have a better shot for an upgrade.

I recently became an Elevate Gold member and with these policies I jumping back to AA ASAP.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
great development, I'll gladly pay the 20
Same here! Recently I ended up having to purchase tickets for the parents to take a transcon VX flight to SFO. Most of the MC seats had center seats open. We ended up selecting MCS for them since that section of plane was wide open. Money well worth it for them to sit together and even near the front of the plane.

Hope that perhaps the next upgrade will be to get them in F or MCS. Hope I'm quick with pulling the triggers on the upgrade windows! LOL
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:01 am

Couple months in on Main Cabin Express-

anyone have an experiences? Positive... negative?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by grt2106
Couple months in on Main Cabin Express-

anyone have an experiences? Positive... negative?
I find the Main Cabin Express seats are usually empty until the 24 hour mark when they
become occupied. I prefer an MCS seat when its available.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:34 am

I was kind of forced into buying one of these seats for an upcoming flight. Used some miles to purchase a one way and all that was left on the seat map were middle seats or the "express" seats for $20 bucks.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:00 pm

main cabin select on VA just increased

On long haul, the cost for main cabin express went up to $30. I just paid $20 a week or so ago for an outbound flight. Shame on you VA for slipping the increase in without notification.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Are you saying they are making you pay $30 for the flight you already paid $20 for? That's not good.

Looks like they advise of the fee here http://www.virginamerica.com/news.do...nge#fee-change

Appears they've added priority security access as one of the benefits along with the fee increase.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum Medallion, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by nancysberk
On long haul, the cost for main cabin express went up to $30. I just paid $20 a week or so ago for an outbound flight. Shame on you VA for slipping the increase in without notification.
Let me get this straight. You're complaining because Virgin America raised prices by $10 for Main Cabin Express seating? Seriously?
Nancy, your ticket price is already less than Virgin America's breakeven cost. If $10 means that much to you, save $30 and don't upgrade to Main Cabin Express.

Do you complain when the price of gasoline goes up by 10 cents without notification?????

Originally Posted by gooseman13
Are you saying they are making you pay $30 for the flight you already paid $20 for?
No; she's whining because she didn't book her return ticket prior to the price increase.

Edit: I just reviewed VX's current prices. It looks like they've raised ticket prices on most routes by $2-$10. I applaud the move, as they've been selling their tickets well below cost. This move won't get them to breakeven but it's a darned good start. Something they need to do in order to survive long term.

Last edited by Seat2C; Apr 14, 2013 at 9:16 pm
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nancysberk
It didn't affect you on the purchase you already made, because you already paid $20. If you go to buy it for another flight, you will be notified that it is $30 before you purchase the product. The only "shame" would be if the product was advertised at $20 at the time of purchase, and the charge came through as $30.

The end

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.