Wiki Posts
Search

VX passengers: young, hip, barefoot?!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM Gold
VX passengers: young, hip, barefoot?!?

Was a VX virgin until yesterday. Up and back SAN-SFO. Cool LED lighting. Not very full.

But both ways I couldn't help but notice insane people going barefoot. One guy even failed to put on footwear while deplaning in SAN. Went up the jetway like it was the beach. I was in an aisle, but some short guy in the row behind me at the window took his sandals off and poked his toes into the seat gaps in front of him. As if the space under the seat in front of him wasn't long enough. (Actually, it made me think he was under doctor's orders to air out his crotch, and had to sit like that with his knees in the air like he was in for a gynecological exam. )

In the Delta forum I normally hang out in, we have threads about passengers propping their bare feet on the carpeted bulkhead partitions, and the like. But those uncouth ones are relatively rare.

Is this normal for VX or do I just have too small a sample yet? Note I am none of the above: young, hip, or barefoot.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:33 am

dude, is this even a serious question? do you honestly believe that that could in any way be normal? come on..
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Yeah! It's not normal at all.

But I will say that on my recent SFO-PHL leg the FA in F did ask the two 20-something guys, that clearly announced they upgraded, to reframe from placing their feet on the bulkhead. They were cool and said "Totally! We're in First and I get it!".

A few smirks were had by me and my seat mate. The rest of the trip was amusing enough watching the FA help them with adjusting their seats and taking their pictures during the flight.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM Gold
The uncouth will be thoughtless, even when they're 20-something dudes, I guess. I'm just seeing fewer and fewer of them on Southwest lately, and wonder if they're migrating to VX for the lower fares? Not to say all kettles are uncouth.

I *did* notice the VX pilots (both ways) had far less of a hair-trigger for turning on the seat belt sign, where on my recent Delta flights I've noticed ANY turbulence results in the sign coming on. Could be a company culture difference - could be in the normal variation in pilot's threshold for turbulence. After 3M miles, I tend to look for and notice the little things about the staff and passengers I'm sharing space with.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
This happens on other Airlines not just VX.

I tend to prefer the hip crowd on VX vrs. the obese grouchy old farts that fly on the legacy carriers. I fly SFO - NYC often never seen anyone go barefoot.

On another note a few times in the F cabin on AA I've had some disgusting encounters with my fellow passengers, on one flight the guy that sat next to me stuck so bad I had to grasp for air on a flight from JFK to DFW.

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Yeah! It's not normal at all.

But I will say that on my recent SFO-PHL leg the FA in F did ask the two 20-something guys, that clearly announced they upgraded, to reframe from placing their feet on the bulkhead. They were cool and said "Totally! We're in First and I get it!".

A few smirks were had by me and my seat mate. The rest of the trip was amusing enough watching the FA help them with adjusting their seats and taking their pictures during the flight.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: VX Silver
Well... I'm a 20 something dude from California that takes off his shoes on F. Not barefoot, I'll keep my socks.

For some reason VX has a more comfortable vibe and I don't feel guilty doing this. Heck, even some 40-something dude sitting next to me did the same thing on F from ORD to LAX.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Irwin Alvarado
Well... I'm a 20 something dude from California that takes off his shoes on F. Not barefoot, I'll keep my socks.

For some reason VX has a more comfortable vibe and I don't feel guilty doing this. Heck, even some 40-something dude sitting next to me did the same thing on F from ORD to LAX.
That's something completely different. Shoes off and (clean) socks on with feet under the seat / on the floor is acceptable almost anywhere. In some cases, airlines even provide shoe cubbys AFAIK.

Shoes off and either bare/stinky feet or feet above the waist (bulkhead, tray table, headrest) is disgusting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.