FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   VX posts $76 million 1Q loss (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1362954-vx-posts-76-million-1q-loss.html)

OWdevotee Jul 3, 2012 2:46 pm

VX posts $76 million 1Q loss

Loss is up from a $45mm loss 1Q2011. Still expects to be profitable for the year, as a whole.

N830MH Jul 3, 2012 3:33 pm

That's terrible! That not good! They have save the money and try to save the labor cost. I wasn't wonder why they losing the money for everyday.

grt2106 Jul 5, 2012 8:10 am

Where is this money coming from that gets thrown into this black hole?

bpe Jul 5, 2012 9:12 am

Originally Posted by OWdevotee (Post 18865545)
Still expects to be profitable for the year, as a whole.

Well, it never has had a profitable year, so I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Several questionable business decisions and strategies don't help either.

FWAAA Jul 5, 2012 11:04 am

Originally Posted by grt2106 (Post 18874168)
Where is this money coming from that gets thrown into this black hole?

Richard Branson and his American Citizen "friends." ;)

Seriously, though, VX borrowed about $150 million last year that will help see it thru a few more dismal quarters. Keep in mind that not every dollar "lost" represented a dollar of cash out the door - some of the loss consisted of non-cash accounting items like depreciation/amortization (where the cash went out the door long ago and is now being accounted for slowly, year by year).

grt2106 Jul 5, 2012 7:20 pm

I just don't see who would continue to lend money to this airline. While it may, some day, in the far off future see record profits- there's bound to be a million better investments.

Hell, a bank account with 2% interest is looking a little bit better.

N830MH Jul 5, 2012 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by grt2106 (Post 18877722)
I just don't see who would continue to lend money to this airline. While it may, some day, in the far off future see record profits- there's bound to be a million better investments.

Hell, a bank account with 2% interest is looking a little bit better.

The bank will rising 5% interest. This way they need to save the money. Don't try to lose the money anymore.

GO_CAT Jul 6, 2012 4:29 pm

Approaching 600m in losses. :td: Full year profit? How many times have I heard that before....

This planned phase of accelerated growth will wind down in mid-2012, until the airline's next major fleet order begins delivery later in 2013
And that is where there problem lies. They need to stop expanding, defer aircraft, increase utilization of the current fleet which in my opinion has alot of downtime. Adding 13 aircraft in a quarter is just suicide considering the current state of the business.

Then Expand the business when its profitable. Or, keep aircraft coming, just not at the current rates. Look at how LCCs have transformed the Asian region. They started off with small fleets, gradually adding aircraft/capacity as they made profit, and now dominate the region. When the business is stable, then order your mammoth aircraft orders.

They are clearly growing too fast, they are out of their depth.

grt2106 Jul 6, 2012 11:43 pm

...but their new delivery will include the A320NEOs which could be both favorable in cost and publicity for them. Just about anything at this point could pull them through.

bpe Jul 7, 2012 2:30 am

Originally Posted by grt2106 (Post 18884521)
...but their new delivery will include the A320NEOs which could be both favorable in cost and publicity for them. Just about anything at this point could pull them through.

The new delivery next year will be just normal 320s - the 320NEO won't be until 2016.
The probably did get a good deal on these aircraft, but it will be many more years until they gain from the increased efficiency. And publicity is nice, but that still doesn't solve anything regarding making money.

Brenden99 Jul 16, 2012 12:09 am

Re:

Interest rate of less than 5% have no benefit I think,