Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vx to Pdx beginning June 2012

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Vx to Pdx beginning June 2012

My sources say Vx will announce Sfo and lax to Pdx beginning June 2012.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:06 am

Correct!!

Your source is correct!!

http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/book...d=sm_social908
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:12 pm

Tiny schedule footprint...this reminds me of America West when they ran dual LAS/PHX hubs in the shorthaul markets into CA.

Otherwise a nice way to create utilization in between transcons.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Yay, more options to PDX (starting from WAS)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Here the official news release from VX:

http://www.virginamerica.com/press-r...-portland.html

VX will have 1 daily RT SFO-PDX & 2 daily RT LAX-PDX, too.

It's good to see to bring more capacity growth. Let's stepped it up to start more new city to be announced.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:27 pm

Finally some relief from the AS monopoly
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by falconred
Finally some relief from the AS monopoly
AS monopoly? UA also flies PDX-SFO and PDX-LAX.

Anyway, shame the time for the flight to SFO is a noon departure as I'd quite like to try them. I'll stick to UA/AS for now as I prefer to fly down after work.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:21 am

LAX-PDX with the 20% off promo code is pretty good. $80 inclusive all in.

Good to see that drop down list of destinations getting bigger.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Bummer - connections are impossible to many of the good destinations. For example, no way to go PDX-SFO-MCO or PDX-LAX-MCO as you'd have to sit overight. Thats a bummer. They could excel on a routing like this,
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:15 am
Used to be 'rockferd'

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Virgin America's Next stop is PDX!

Here they grow again! VX get there 50th aircraft and Portland meets their first Virgin! This time the sexy and sometime sleazy brand of Virgin is introducing themselves to the city of Roses, Portland. Virgin America is inaugurating nonstop flights from SFO and LAX to PDX. How appropriate to bring this young hip airline to a city that often brags that they have more strip club per capita than any other city in the US. And if that doesn't get your chops wet, then they are also known as the microbrewery capitol of the world with over 70 microbrewery within the city limits.

Hipsters get ready, strippers back your bags, and beer drinkers hold on! On June 5, flights will take off from both LAX and PDX and head up to the beautiful northwest! Flights begin at only $99 each way from both LAX/SFO (taxes included). The flight schedule is listed below

From Portland to Los Angeles From Los Angeles to Portland
FLT DEP ARR FREQ FLT DEP ARR FREQ
803 630 850 Daily 802 935 1150 Daily
809 1605 1825 Daily 808 1910 2125 Daily

From Portland to San Francisco From San Francisco to Portland
FLT DEP ARR FREQ FLT DEP ARR FREQ
817 1235 1430 Daily 816 1330 1520 Daily

I see a celebrity boxing match in the near feature as Virgin(Vx) and Alaska (As) duke it out over these new routes! Vx is going to have quite the fight as they try to take on Portland's largest airline Alaska, and her sister Horizon. Vx and As already compete on the LAX/SFO to Seattle routes and since Vx entered Seattle at Virgin's conception, AS and VX have been in a nasty pricing war, with fares falling as low as $59 o/w. Furthermore, As beefed up routes and offering between the two cities and surrounding airports.

Currently Alaska serves the PDX/LAX market with 5 daily nonstops, PDX/ONT 3x daily, PDX/BUR 3x daily, and PDX/SNA 4x daily. Also on June 4th, Alaska brings back the PDX/LGB route once daily. On select routes Alaska is currently offering fares for only $89, undercutting Virgin's price by $10!

If you're flying PDX to the bay area, Alaska and their partner Horizon offers PDX/OAK 4x daily PDX/SFO 5x Daily, PDX/SJC 6x daily and PDX/STS 1x daily. Alaska is currently matching Vx's price of $99 on select routes.

Watch out for a price war on this route for Alaska will defiantly be on the defense! Furthermore, if you're flying on Alaska's sister from PDX (horizon air) know that the airline offers free Beer and Wine to ALL passengers! This is one perk that Vx doesn't have! Furthermore, expect big promotions at Alaska to keep their passengers loyal....bonus miles anyone?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:55 pm

better served as a night time flight for leisure travellers.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Bummer - connections are impossible to many of the good destinations. For example, no way to go PDX-SFO-MCO or PDX-LAX-MCO as you'd have to sit overight. Thats a bummer. They could excel on a routing like this,
The LA flight works for commuters, but the PDX-SFO flight doesn't. What I need is morning / evening flights. Still i might try it a few times as alternative to AS, also i suspect that i'll pull down prices on the routes in general which is good. It's a high load route, the flights are almost always full.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
They doesn't have enough aircraft availability. They don't have a flexibility schedule yet. I think you have wait for a while. Later in the future if VX will done extremely very well. They will able added more flights sometime in the future.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: UA, DL, OZ, HH/S, MR, PC, SPG, A-Club
coupon expired

Originally Posted by GO_CAT
LAX-PDX with the 20% off promo code is pretty good. $80 inclusive all in.

Good to see that drop down list of destinations getting bigger.
unfortunatey, the 20% off coupon expired end of Feb 2012.

Speaking of competition, don't forgot Southwest also flys into the bay area (OAK) and LA area.

still, it is about time AS and UA gets some competition...can VX hold out for the onslaught or just retreats after a while??
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by eeprofessional
unfortunatey, the 20% off coupon expired end of Feb 2012.

Speaking of competition, don't forgot Southwest also flys into the bay area (OAK) and LA area.

still, it is about time AS and UA gets some competition...can VX hold out for the onslaught or just retreats after a while??
There's 20% off coupons still floating out there.

https://www.facebook.com/VirginAmeri...57309064314015

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.