New VX destination dartboard target: SJC

Old Oct 31, 11, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
New VX destination dartboard target: SJC

http://www.mercurynews.com/sal-pizarro/ci_19209907

I...uh......sheesh. I give up.
Old Oct 31, 11, 6:01 pm

My take is that with the constant ground delay programs at SFO, it really hurts them for short haul flights. It doesn't impact long haul as much. Were I in Cush's shoes, I would use SJC from LAX, LAS, SEA, and PDX (eventually), and not SFO at all from those stations.
Old Nov 1, 11, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
So, you're saying that because SFO-SNA worked out so well for VX, that they should go headlong into an assault on WN AND AS? They should spend time building up a new hub not to run against AA, who loses money, but the two airlines that actually consistently make money?

There's also a problem with utilization if you don't have the ability to fly a plane shorthaul after a longhaul, like JFK-LAX-SFO.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 2, 11 at 6:15 pm
Old Nov 1, 11, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
So, you're saying that because SFO-SNA worked out so well for VX, that they should go headlong into an assault on VX AND AS? They should spend time building up a new hub not to run against AA, who loses money, but the two airlines that actually consistently make money?

There's also a problem with utilization if you don't have the ability to fly a plane shorthaul after a longhaul, like JFK-LAX-SFO.
AA and AS have cut down SEA-SJC to a fraction of what it used to be. But I do see your point about the utilization problem.
Old Nov 2, 11, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
AA and AS have cut down SEA-SJC to a fraction of what it used to be. But I do see your point about the utilization problem.
It's not just AS on SEA-SJC, though- it's PDX-SJC (AS, WN), LAS-SJC (WN), LAX-SJC (QX flying for AS, WN).

AS has really built up their SJC presence, too: along with the mentioned routes they have service to MMH, GDL, HNL, OGG, KOA, LIH, SJD, BOI and PSP. Once they start HNL service, they'll actually offer more destinations out of SJC than WN does, even after getting muscled out of the Nerd Bird route.

The places where VX has had the most success driving capacity to themselves off of routes have been SFO-BOS (they chased AA completely off of the route), JFK-SFO/LAX (where they've gone to 5x), and the capacity they drove off of SEA-LAX/SFO has been more UA's than AS's. So I think going to an AS/WN stronghold and starting service from there on shorthaul is just nuts. Fly to PDX from SFO? Sure, that makes sense. Do it from SJC? Might as well set money on fire.
Old Nov 28, 11, 12:41 pm

Assuming the DOT moves forward with moving SFO to a controlled capacity environment via slots by Summer 2012, the possibility of opening up SJC is not that far fetched.

Considering VX's market strategy of longer stage lengths and serving hub type markets non-stop, it would haver been a nice complement vis-a-vis the dominant LCC 1 hour city pair routes that WN runs presently out of SJC. Plus, the fact VX offers a tech inspired premium cabin would have resonated more with Silicon Valley types, offering a truly differentiated product out of the SJC market, especially with legacy carriers in full retreat out of SJC and a new terminal with spare capacity.
Old Dec 5, 11, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by volvo99 View Post
Considering VX's market strategy of longer stage lengths and serving hub type markets non-stop, it would haver been a nice complement vis-a-vis the dominant LCC 1 hour city pair routes that WN runs presently out of SJC. Plus, the fact VX offers a tech inspired premium cabin would have resonated more with Silicon Valley types, offering a truly differentiated product out of the SJC market, especially with legacy carriers in full retreat out of SJC and a new terminal with spare capacity.
A tech-inspired premium cabin is maybe important on a transcon. On a 90 minute flight, I'm not seeing that VX F sells all that great. I've seen VX F go out empty on SEA-LAX (not surprising when it's a $130 gate upgrade now).

"Yeah, I need to be reimbursed for F for that flight because... well, I need to be able to work effectively after that grueling SJC-PDX flight."

Let's face it, if people cared about premium cabins on <2 hour flights, WN would still be flying SAT-HOU-DAL in a triangle, instead of owning the intra-CA market, and VX would still be flying SFO-SNA.
Old Dec 31, 11, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
Were I in Cush's shoes, I would use SJC from LAX, LAS, SEA, and PDX (eventually), and not SFO at all from those stations.
Which would finish connecting traffic through SFO, making it impossible to fly VX from SEA/PDX/etc. to JFK/BOS, for instance, unless you wanted to go to LAX first, which nobody would.

...I think going to an AS/WN stronghold and starting service from there on shorthaul is just nuts. Fly to PDX from SFO? Sure, that makes sense. Do it from SJC? Might as well set money on fire.
I agree. Habitual UA flyers are much more pickable than AS customers right now -- the CO merger has created bad juju, the loyalty program is crumpling down to nothing unless you're 75k+, and too much of the UA west coast operation has gone regional. If I were VX I'd be going all out to woo UA customers. Throwing the airline against AS makes no sense.
Old Jan 26, 12, 6:32 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Lifetime United Club stolen by Oscar “The Grouch” Munoz on 11.11.19
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
If I were VX I'd be going all out to woo UA customers.
Does VX have an elite program? I guess I'll have another drink at the United Club before my upgraded flight to dry my tears. Too bad---I prefer the VX coach product.
Old Jan 27, 12, 2:05 am

This would be good

I would love to see Mainline service from SJC-LAX, SJC-JFK,SJC-PHL etc. SJC needs more nonstop flights to and from JFK a redeye SJC-JFK flight would be nice leaving SJC at 10:30 arriving JFK around 6:45 and a JFK-SJC flight leaving at 6:30 PM arriving SJC around 9:00 and an early morning flight to JFK as well.

I could see VX building a lounge at SFO and taking over the Alaska lounge at LAX. It would be nice for the Virgin Clubrooms to accept Priority Pass.
Old Jan 27, 12, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
Does VX have an elite program?
Sadly not.

Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
SJC needs more nonstop flights to and from JFK a redeye SJC-JFK flight would be nice leaving SJC at 10:30 arriving JFK around 6:45 and a JFK-SJC flight leaving at 6:30 PM arriving SJC around 9:00 and an early morning flight to JFK as well.
I don't think they can score any more slots at JFK.
Old Jan 27, 12, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
I don't think they can score any more slots at JFK.
No, because NYC airspace is full. There is no more space available. Because it was too many aircraft are awaited for takeoff from JFK due to the congestion.
Old Jan 28, 12, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
I would love to see Mainline service from SJC-LAX, SJC-JFK,SJC-PHL etc. SJC needs more nonstop flights to and from JFK a redeye SJC-JFK flight would be nice leaving SJC at 10:30 arriving JFK around 6:45 and a JFK-SJC flight leaving at 6:30 PM arriving SJC around 9:00 and an early morning flight to JFK as well.

I could see VX building a lounge at SFO and taking over the Alaska lounge at LAX. It would be nice for the Virgin Clubrooms to accept Priority Pass.
I'd love to see a SJC-IAD redeye.
Old Jan 29, 12, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cwilson830 View Post
I'd love to see a SJC-IAD redeye.
I doubt it. If VX will have consider it. Probably not for a while unless if they have enough aircraft availability.
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Quick question- do you see UA or AA running tons of flights from ORD and MDW? DFW and DAL?

Not so much, no. Yes, there's JFK and LGA- except NYC is slot restricted (and a much larger market than the Bay Area), and the only airline that really runs a hub in both places is DL (AA's LGA stuff is mostly to hubs).

A second VX hub at SJC that largely duplicates SFO service doesn't strike me as very logical, especially since VX's network isn't exactly huge to begin with. It strikes me as a way to p*** away more cash in red ink doing something dumb.

Search this Thread