Upgrade LAX to SEA?

Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: ,starwood gold, fairmont premier,Aeromexico Platino
Upgrade LAX to SEA?

Hi there,
Posted the below a couple of weeks ago but it looks like it got lost.
Trying to decide if i buy the first class seat or if i have any chances to get an upgrade with the below scenario.
Thanks

Hi there,

I was ready to book a seat on first class LAX SEA LAX and then i saw this thread.
Does anybody know how busy this route is and if same day upgrades are likely to be granted? Will take the early afternoon flight both ways. Outbound on a Thursday and return on a MOnday.

If i buy a main cabin seat for $109 each way. How much would be the last minute/gate upgrade? I see that the cheapest first class available is $378 right now. Just wondering how much can be saved !!

Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
As with any route and flight, availability of upgrades can vary. LAX-SEA upgrade from main cabin to F is $79 each way, however the cabin fills rapidly even if this is offered and you might not get the seat. If you want to secure the seat in F the best thing to do would be to purchase it outright. Plus you get the extra elevate points spending more on the fare, with the upgrade you do not get those points.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by N334AA
As with any route and flight, availability of upgrades can vary. LAX-SEA upgrade from main cabin to F is $79 each way, however the cabin fills rapidly even if this is offered and you might not get the seat. If you want to secure the seat in F the best thing to do would be to purchase it outright. Plus you get the extra elevate points spending more on the fare, with the upgrade you do not get those points.
I've seen no seats occupied in F on some of my LAX-SEA-LAX flights on VX, and I regularly see seats open during boarding. I tend to think F doesn't sell out too much, especially now that it cannot be purchased as a day-of-flight upgrade until 6 hours prior to flight. AS doesn't sell out F on their LAX routes either (it's a slam-dunk upgrade for me as a Gold, and I've been seated next to deadheading pilots).

OP, if the cabin is mostly open, I wouldn't sweat it, and I'd be there at T-6:00:00 to buy your upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I've seen no seats occupied in F on some of my LAX-SEA-LAX flights on VX, and I regularly see seats open during boarding. I tend to think F doesn't sell out too much, especially now that it cannot be purchased as a day-of-flight upgrade until 6 hours prior to flight. AS doesn't sell out F on their LAX routes either (it's a slam-dunk upgrade for me as a Gold, and I've been seated next to deadheading pilots).

OP, if the cabin is mostly open, I wouldn't sweat it, and I'd be there at T-6:00:00 to buy your upgrade.
Thanks for your information! I got a very cheap coach ticket with a 20 % discount code. Do they care if i request an upgrade at the airport when i bought a discounted coach fare?

Looks like for the outbound i can go online and do it with the 6 hours mark. But the return i will have to do it at the airport since i will be disembarking a cruise ship in the am and go straight to the airport. Or, do they upgrade by phone if i call with my credit card info?

Thanks again for your input!!
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:23 pm

If you're not checked in, you can call to have the upgrade done.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

What happens with the lugage fees after getting upgraded within the 6 hours before checking in? Do we get the benefit of the 2 free bags for flying first class? Or do we still have to pay baggage fees?

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mitchdew
What happens with the lugage fees after getting upgraded within the 6 hours before checking in? Do we get the benefit of the 2 free bags for flying first class? Or do we still have to pay baggage fees?

Thanks!
If you upgrade to First class prior to giving in your luggage they will waive your baggage fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.