Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin DFW load factors @ 92%???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ConciergeKey 4MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Virgin DFW load factors @ 92%???

One of the local papers here in North Texas is reporting a DFW airport official saying Virgin America has a 92% load factor on their flights in and out of the airport. Does that strike anyone else as a little high? I would be tremendously pleased for them if it were accurate, but it doesn't correspond with my personal experience on Virgin to and from CA.

If it is indeed correct, it leads me to wonder if there isn't more opportunity for Virgin here at DFW....

From the Star-Telegram:

DFW Airport passenger traffic up 3.3 percent for June, launches Foursquare and Facebook Places promos

About 5.3 million passengers traveled through Dallas/Fort Worth Airport in June, up 3.3 percent from the same time last year.

Airport executives attributed the summer traffic gain to new low-cost carriers, such as Virgin America and Spirit Airlines, now providing service out of DFW.

Low-cost carriers had 28.3 percent more passengers in June compared to June 2010 and Virgin America had load factors of 92 percent on its flights, said Luis Perez, vice president of air service development told the airport's board at its monthly meeting on Thursday.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:11 pm

I wouldn't be totally suprised-

but remember how many incentives they've given...

2-for-1 flights, 20% off flights, 50% off via groupon from DFW, 15 eleVAte points per dollar spent...

VA is incredibly packing their planes right now... but how many people are they ACTUALLY turning profit on?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
People are none-too-pleased with AA in these parts (SF Bay Area) - they have gutted the route system from here, and are tired of flying to/from DFW on MD80s. The capacity on Bay Area / DFW could have probably used VX's increase, and for O/D travel, I'd take them over AA.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
Most recent DOT data had DFW-SFO loads in the 60s, but it's a couple months out of date.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by 707Flyer
Most recent DOT data had DFW-SFO loads in the 60s, but it's a couple months out of date.
What is does this means? Can you try explain to me? I would like to know how is VX doing in DFW. Is that good loading? Is the flight is very full? Is that 100% load factor?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: Virgin Elevate
Originally Posted by N830MH
What is does this means? Can you try explain to me? I would like to know how is VX doing in DFW. Is that good loading? Is the flight is very full? Is that 100% load factor?
It means every flight to and from DFW-SFO are 60% full.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
May T-100s show VX's DFW-LAX/SFO loads increasing to 74% from 65% in April

Systemwide, a strong 81% LF for May
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Slinger
That's pretty good. I'm sure they will try to beef up. To improvement the load factor will be completely 100 percent.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Slinger
I thought it meant the average, not the minimum?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: Virgin Elevate
wait, you are correct aviators, it is the average. sorry
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Is everyone here in denial? Load factors mean nothing if the yields are too low. VX just posted a 21 million dollar loss. Thats up 6 million from a year ago.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by grt2106

2-for-1 flights, 20% off flights, 50% off via groupon from DFW, 15 eleVAte points per dollar spent...

VA is incredibly packing their planes right now... but how many people are they ACTUALLY turning profit on?
It's exactly how I said it, not so difficult to fill planes if you're giving the seats away.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: ConciergeKey 4MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Is everyone here in denial? Load factors mean nothing if the yields are too low. VX just posted a 21 million dollar loss. Thats up 6 million from a year ago.
In denial about what, exactly?? I don't think anyone here has been cheering the load factors and trumpeting them as representing a great and profitable achievement on the part of the airline, rather just discussing the percentage of butts in seats.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
People are none-too-pleased with AA in these parts (SF Bay Area) - they have gutted the route system from here, and are tired of flying to/from DFW on MD80s. The capacity on Bay Area / DFW could have probably used VX's increase, and for O/D travel, I'd take them over AA.
Yet they still show their loyAAlty as the flights to DFW are always packed.

Your comments are less about VX entering the market and more about how FF programs inherently work against the consumer: by passing a few crumbs off the table the legacies receive huge data streams about your consuming habits, and protect against mass exodus to a shinier, newer product like VX. When you have substantial mileage built up with a carriers like AA, you are esentially trapped from trying a competitor despite the relatively poor hard product they are offering these days.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by grt2106

Perhaps very little. The AAdvantage has so many DFW based fliers by the balls that their is little incentive to migrate to a newer, shinier competitor despite the sh*t sandwich AA's hard product has turned into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.