Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vanguard in Austin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2001, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Vanguard in Austin

I just noticed that Vanguard started service to AUS this week, with their first flight on the 7th. Two flights every weekday in and out of MCI. I priced a ticket to ATL on them, and they came out about $30 better than Continental for a three week out trip. That's not enough for me to change for a business trip, but with specials like $140/RT this weekend to MSP, they may be an occasional excursion.
Old Jan 16, 2001, 12:31 am

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Vanguard fares DEN-AUS via MCI are about 40% less than UAL nonstop or connections at DFW,IAH, or MEM. But how bad is this carrier? I know they have old 737's but how bad are these cattle cars? Daze
Old Jan 26, 2001, 5:15 pm

I've flown them 3 times. The planes are plain 737s, Southwest Airlines style with only coach. They are in OK shape.

If your a business traveler used to upgrades and perks, you wouldn't like them. If you just want the best price from point A to Point B, then they're fine.

Like any low cost carrier with only a few planes, if they have equipment problems on just one plane, it has ripple effect on their whole system.

Also, they are unlikely to put you on another carier, because as far as I know, They have no reciprocal agreements.

I would fly them again if the price was right. And I LOOOOOOOVE all these discount cariers out there who keep the evil cabal of the Big Six honest in pricing!

Mac

------------------
Via con Dios!
Old Jan 30, 2001, 8:31 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Dilemma:

UA DEN-AUS nonstop $483
UA DEN-DFW DL DFW-AUS $393
NJ DEN-MCI MCI-AUS $220

Guess which one I'm taking.....Daze
Old Feb 20, 2001, 5:40 am

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
I almost feel guilty for not using NJ from time to time. After all, I've spent years benefitting from their presence at MCI. Flights to DEN and DFW on UA and AA are almost always 100% full, and NJ is the only thing that somewhat keeps a lid on these fares.
Old Feb 20, 2001, 10:33 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Since MCI is Vanguard's home base, the only chance they have of pulling out of there is if they go kaput.. Unfortunately, that looks very possible considering they had load factors of around 50%, especially considering their discount fares.

I flew them a couple of times when they used to fly PIT-JFK, and once PIT-MDW-MCI-DFW and back. Flights were empty then too; planes were reasonably comfortable for all coach.

As per supporting the low fare carrier, it doesn't hurt to throw some business their way. I've alternated between AirTran and USAirways on my flights to LGA from PIT, for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.