Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current passport card wait times

Current passport card wait times

Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:37 am
mkt
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Here are the updates (just got off the phone with NPIC).

Application was received on 3/Feb

Card manufactured today, 13/Feb.

Will be mailed out tomorrow, 14/Feb

Still have not received passport book, but I am not expecting that back before the passport card.

I also learn they document all calls, since I called on Monday to ask for an update and she mentioned my prior calls.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mkt
Still have not received passport book, but I am not expecting that back before the passport card.

I also learn they document all calls, since I called on Monday to ask for an update and she mentioned my prior calls.
There's a good chance you will receive the book first, depending on where you are--the cards are manufactured out of Arkansas and Arizona, but the applications are adjudicated at an agency. If you post the first 2 digits of the locator number I can tell you where it is. And the book will likely be sent to you priority mail, the card is sent 1st class.

And yes, they document everything. Actually, AT&T (who runs NPIC now) is losing the contract in about 2 weeks.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 2:24 pm
mkt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amejr999
There's a good chance you will receive the book first, depending on where you are--the cards are manufactured out of Arkansas and Arizona, but the applications are adjudicated at an agency. If you post the first 2 digits of the locator number I can tell you where it is. And the book will likely be sent to you priority mail, the card is sent 1st class.

And yes, they document everything. Actually, AT&T (who runs NPIC now) is losing the contract in about 2 weeks.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mkt
Miami. I'd expect the book very soon.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Blue, US, UA, FL, B6
Originally Posted by mkt
Here are the updates (just got off the phone with NPIC).

Application was received on 3/Feb

Card manufactured today, 13/Feb.

Will be mailed out tomorrow, 14/Feb

Wow! My application was received on February 2 and it's not even in the application status system yet! Could that be because I requested only a passport card and asked that my still-valid passport book be returned to me?
Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:27 pm
mkt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQFreak
Wow! My application was received on February 2 and it's not even in the application status system yet! Could that be because I requested only a passport card and asked that my still-valid passport book be returned to me?
I'm really not sure. I did the same thing you did, requested a passport card and asked that my passport book be returned to me.

At least my fear of my passport photo being rejected turned out to be nothing to worry about. Right now, I'm more worried about my passport book being returned canceled or replaced. I left a little note taped on the cover stating that it still has 6 years validity and visas in there that I need.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:07 pm
mkt
Original Poster

and... my last post.

Both my passport card and passport book arrived today.

Total time, 19 days.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:31 pm

Did you actually call, or just check the website? My BF just got his passport. It was exactly 3 weeks from application to arriving in the mail. The website never had a status update. When he called they were able to give him information though.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by gj83
Did you actually call, or just check the website? My BF just got his passport. It was exactly 3 weeks from application to arriving in the mail. The website never had a status update. When he called they were able to give him information though.
I just checked the Website. But today, my original passport (non-biometric, valid through 2015) was returned to me along with a note saying, "Your passport application has been approved & your passport has been issued. If you applied for a...passport card only, you will receive your newly issued passport card and your returned citizenship evidence in two separate mailings."
Still nothing on the Website though, and no passport card. The "returned citizenship evidence" (old passport) was mailed from Portsmouth, NH on February 17.

Actually, I think 3 weeks processing time isn't bad at all. As long as the card comes within the next few days, I'm happy.

I included a letter with my passport asking that my valid passport be returned to me still valid. They put a small blank Post-It note inside it and mailed it back to me, no markings.

mkt, did you get your passport book and card on the same day? It may just have to do with the fact that they're being mailed from different places.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:15 pm
mkt
Original Poster

mkt, did you get your passport book and card on the same day? It may just have to do with the fact that they're being mailed from different places.
I did get them on the same day, however, it may also have something to do with the holiday weekend. It could've been that my passport was supposed to arrive on Monday and the passport card on Tuesday, but due to the holiday, both were delivered on Tuesday.

A bit OT.. I'm on the search for work right now (freelance work is starting to dry up), so I've been in countless HR offices. One thing that I've noticed is that quite a few employers haven't gotten the memo that the passport card is now valid for I9 purposes.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by mkt
I did get them on the same day, however, it may also have something to do with the holiday weekend. It could've been that my passport was supposed to arrive on Monday and the passport card on Tuesday, but due to the holiday, both were delivered on Tuesday.
I got my card the next day.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 7:51 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by goalie
emphasis mine: as does walgreens-iirc, when i did it back in november it was just under $8.00 with tax (and they also have $-off coupon s every so often either in the store "flyer" or your sunday paper)
Do what I did... do it yourself.

The sizing guide is on the passport website, I used a digital camera and made several sizes of the photo using Microsoft Word.

Worked great on the 5 I needed to do for our family. Cost was a couple of sheets of paper.

Beats paying anyone for polaroids that you look horrible in! This way you get to choose the photo you want to use.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:57 pm
mkt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billinaz
Do what I did... do it yourself.

The sizing guide is on the passport website, I used a digital camera and made several sizes of the photo using Microsoft Word.

Worked great on the 5 I needed to do for our family. Cost was a couple of sheets of paper.

Beats paying anyone for polaroids that you look horrible in! This way you get to choose the photo you want to use.
I took mine in an empty room, photoshopped the background so it'd be white (wall was actually green), and formatted them on epassportphoto. Printed them out at Walgreens for under a buck.

Last edited by mkt; Feb 24, 2009 at 9:20 pm
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:27 pm

Sent in my passport book 2/19 via USPS Priority. It arrived 2/20 in Philly.

Should I be worried or more patient?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:00 pm
mkt
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rogi
Sent in my passport book 2/19 via USPS Priority. It arrived 2/20 in Philly.

Should I be worried or more patient?
patient

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.