Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

To whom do you declare you are taking more than US$10,000 out of the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To whom do you declare you are taking more than US$10,000 out of the US?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:39 am

Programs: CO Gold
at the risk of getting flamed since you probably all know about this case........

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/27/immigrant.money/

and yes, I know that he was in the US illegally but can't help feeling bad about his entire situation
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
at the risk of getting flamed since you probably all know about this case........

and yes, I know that he was in the US illegally but can't help feeling bad about his entire situation
From the link you cited:

Now, according to Gershman, the Internal Revenue Service wants access to the donated cash to cover taxes on the donations and on the money Zapeta made as a dishwasher. Zapeta admits he never paid taxes.
Boo hoo. Let's recap:
1. Entered the U.S. illegally;

2. Worked illegally;

3. Paid no taxes;

4. Filed no return.
I don't feel sorry for him.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:59 pm

except that as you probably imagine the search/seize of his cash was not trying to figure out if he paid taxes or not but more linked to money laundering/drugs

I will recap in a different way

1) was detained suspected of money laundering, he showed that was not the case (I hope the restaurant he worked at was investigated along with the owners who are obviously evading taxes and employing illegals)

2) spent two years being deported when he was on his way out to start with

3) was offered a 'deal no deal' situation, keep a gift and 16.66% of your money (effective tax rate ~ 84%) and be quiet

4) is asked to pay for ticket....working illegally? (this part I supose you can't totally infer from the artcile , I would imagine that if he is deported and can't pay for his ticket they will take a 500 bucks of the 60k they have and simply pay for the ticket but in the article it says that he is working/saving money for the ticket.........so I don't know about that)

Last edited by wolfie_cr; Apr 6, 2008 at 3:05 pm Reason: adding to point 4
Old Apr 6, 2008, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

At the risk of being flamed, what does this have to do with the topic? Where will I go at LAX or SFO to present the form prior to departure? (Maybe at check-in there's some guidance).
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
At the risk of being flamed, what does this have to do with the topic? Where will I go at LAX or SFO to present the form prior to departure? (Maybe at check-in there's some guidance).
From the form they posted in page 1

C. Travelers—Travelers carrying currency or other monetary instruments with them shall
file FinCEN Form 105 at the time of entry into the United States or at the time of departure
from the United States with the Customs officer in charge at any Customs port of entry or
departure.

So I supose you could call the information desk at either LAX or SFO and ask them where in the international terminal do they have their offices.

Perhaps call these guys as a first attempt, they should be able to redirect you to a more precise number/location if they are not the right guys.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c...ts/ca/2720.xml (LAX)

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c...ts/ca/2801.xml (SFO)

Or their general Customer Service Number listed at the bottom of either of those links
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:24 pm

For LAX:

Check in first. Depending on your airline you may want to arrive at the airport a little earlier than you normally would.

Go to TBIT, arrival level, the Public Information Office and say you want to file a FINCEN 105. The officer should be able to provide a form to you. Fill it out. The officer will review the form, review your passport and boarding pass and there you go.

I don't necessarily recommend saying anything to the airline about money. You can also print the FINCEN 105 off of the internet, but you have to make sure to print both sides of the form.

As for SFO, if you look at www.cbp.gov under telephone numbers or somesuch there's a list of ports by state. You can get the CBP number for SFO and inquire with them regarding their procedures.

In regards to other posts, once I met a gentlemen who was coming to gamble in Vegas. He had $1.35 million in cash in a rollerbag.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Taker Park
... once, I met a gentleman who was coming to gamble in Vegas. He had $1.35 million in cash in a rollerbag.
... and he told you (presumably, a perfect stranger) this?!
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:58 pm

Speaking of Positano, $10,000 seems like chicken feed these days especially if one is traveling to Europe lol. They need to raise the limit to $25,000.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by thegeneral
"US$ Travelers Checks will be perfectly fine for this reason. "

Those count for the $10k too. You'd still need to file the form. The better question is what exactly do they do with it? The amount is also tied not tied to the rate of inflation. In another 10 or 15 years, it will start to be bothersome to more people. It's surprising that the tin foil hat wearers in the security forum aren't making 1000 posts on this every day given that the government is trying to control the movement of people and their money.
The tin foil people probably aren't worried, because there is nothing illegal or wrong with transporting over $10,000 worth of monetary instruments given the freedom of money. One is obligated only to report the fact for tax purposes. If you want, you can probably carry $100,000,000 in cash with you, as long as you file the form; you'd be an idiot, but you'd be an honest idiot.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... and he told you (presumably, a perfect stranger) this?!
Nope, he showed me. One of the benefits of working in the TS/S field is the interesting stories that you collect. My favorite happens to be the guy with monkeys in his underpants.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
From the form they posted in page 1

C. Travelers—Travelers carrying currency or other monetary instruments with them shall file FinCEN Form 105 at the time of entry into the United States or at the time of departure from the United States with the Customs officer in charge at any Customs port of entry or departure.

So I supose you could call the information desk at either LAX or SFO and ask them where in the international terminal do they have their offices.

Perhaps call these guys as a first attempt, they should be able to redirect you to a more precise number/location if they are not the right guys.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c...ts/ca/2720.xml (LAX)

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/c...ts/ca/2801.xml (SFO)

Or their general Customer Service Number listed at the bottom of either of those links
An unanswered question from this form is whether or not this filing has to be done in person or if it can be done by mail. At some airports, such as JFK, the Customs office is far from the terminals.

And do you have to show up with the cash or is the form alone enough?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Serious question- with the advent of plastic (and nowadays, there's anonymous, refillable debit cards), unless someone's going to the Middle Of Nowhere, is there any need to carry cash?

(I'm assuming that the OP has some very specific needs, but I just wonder if Joe Rich Traveler ever has to do this any more)
I've had trouble with plastic not working in remote areas.

As a safety precaution I always take enough cash to get home in a money belt under my clothes. I've never needed since I started doing it but twice with my parents there was quite a hassle.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanh
The argument is that most legitimate big money goes electronically these days -- that's also why there's no longer $500 or $1000 bills in circulation.

They do have some sort of an office in the departure area, but sometimes it can be hard to find. You can call the local office for how to find them.
In the departure areas? The last time I tried to find a customs office (To get one of those forms listing what you're taking out of the country so there's no issue of being taxed bringing it back in.) it caused confusion and I was finally directed to go through a door the wrong way to where the customs guys were checking inbound passengers.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:31 pm

The office outside the terminal is mainly for the cargo operations -- they do have offices inside the terminal for passengers.

That's why I suggested call the local office to see where the office or back door is for departures with a customs need.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When coming in, it is obvious - on the form. When leaving, there is no departure procedure, no one to talk to - where do you go?
in the past, i carried large sums of cash money out of the country. $25,000 to 50,000 was typical. this was back when you could really buy something with 50 grand us. TC's are a real pain, because each one has to be signed. maybe even twice. that's 500 of them.

at that time, supposidly if I called customs at IAD, someone who could accept the form would meet me at the ticket counter with the form. no one ever showed up. i told the ticket agent i was to sign the document, and went on my merry way. was never stopped going. got stopped a lot in heathrow on the way back. got asked all the time(still do) as to how much money i have on me every time i come into the country.

once I met a gentlemen who was coming to gamble in Vegas. He had $1.35 million us in cash in a rollerbag.
unless he is carrying euros, i don't think that fits in one roller bag. euros can take up 85% less space, and should fit.

the guy says he wants cash. it is his reason, just like it was mine to want cash. i also did business with l/c's, wire transfers, and third party checks. some people want cash. back then, most would accept us dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.