Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Need help – adding more pages to US Passport

Need help – adding more pages to US Passport

Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by nacirema
btw, don't freak out when you see a long line of people waiting at the embassy. i almost turned around in tokyo when i saw the looooong line at 9am in the morning, until i realized that this was the locals. for us citizens, they have a separate line. i assume that's true for any embassy/consulate.
Your assumption is incorrect. In Ho Chi Minh City you take a number and wait along with everyone else.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:24 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
The situation may vary by location. In Phnom Penh, for example, American Citizen Services are available only in the afternoon; non-citizens applying for US visas must go in the morning.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by UAL Traveler
I believe you're fine with the sticker amendment. I have numerous amendments in one of my US passports that sometimes have a seal, and sometimes not. The last time I had a double insert was about three months ago, and they did carry the raised seal under the stamped phrase (not a sticker) that is essentially identical to the phrase on your sticker. US embassies and consulates have some flex in their procedures.

Happy travels
My previous 10 year passport had the ominous amendment that "This Passport is a replacement for a stolen Passport". It ended it's useful life with around 70-80 pages about 18 months ago. All the inserts were added outside of the US without question and in short order.

I had a 1 year temp passport issued out of Melbourne for a short while and only 8 months ago got a new 10 year pp also issued overseas. I'll be adding new pages in a couple of months but hope to be traveling on an AU pp within a couple of years.

Funny thing though, the old pp had a sense of gravitas and experience about it. The new, little thin thing just looks wussie.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:34 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
have had extra pages added in singapore. No wait to enter embassy and done in 15 min.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:14 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I did it in London in November 2005. Total of less than 90 minutes. Separate line from non-citizen services. No charge. No big deal. I've got a new passport now. And because I collect stamps agressively--dash into Korea for 10 minutes while in transit at Incheon just to get the stamps--now I need more pages. I've never been to the Embassy in Bangkok, so I might give it a try on an upcoming visit. Failing that, Singapore looks like a good option.

Glad to hear that the CBP officer at DFW who was reluctant to stamp me on my return and told me I couldn't get pages added was full of it.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
Can the new e-passports have the inserts added? I heard they no longer issue 48 pagers, so I am not sure if inserts can be added.

Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MisterNice
The passport was in my mailbox on Mar 19 so it took 6 days for the pages to be added and its return without using the $60 expedited service option.

MisterNice
Was it a passport with the chip?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 3:27 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07
Can the new e-passports have the inserts added? I heard they no longer issue 48 pagers, so I am not sure if inserts can be added.

Thanks
I had one of the new "bio-metric" passports issued at the Houston passport office with extra pages, in less than a day.

A friend had the same thing done at the Miami office last December. Another friend had pages added in Miami at that time.

Ciao,
FH
Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UAL Traveler
The limit on the number of page inserts, as told to me by a consular official, is determined by the amount of original visa pages in the passport. Each insert must be attached to two such pages. For example, a 48-page passport has 38 usable pages (pages 8-45, with even page 8 being a left hand page, and odd page 45 being a right-hand page), which allows a total of 19 inserts. So, with essentially 23 usable pages per insert, you can add 437 pages for a total of 475 pages. That's why I get a 48-page pp on renewal.
I don't think the spine of any of my 48-page passports would hold 19 supplements of pages without falling apart first. They had enough issues with 5-6 supplements.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:08 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I sent my passport in on 3/26 to get additional pages added, and it just came back today (4/5). My 2nd set of pages to be added, these were the new style (landscapes) vs the old state seal pages. My original PP was 48 pages (now 100) and I still have 4 years on it left..
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC, WN, AA
I got new pages in Seoul in December. Like others have experienced, there is no raised seal. Unlike other people, there is no mention anywhere on the insert of a seal.

"This supplement forms a part of the passport.
Ce Supplement fait partie integrante du passeport.
Este suplemento forma parte integral del presente pasaporte."

New style pages, with the visa-type sticker on page B. I wonder if Korea had already used up their stock of old pages.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I recently had extra pages put in a the LA Passport Office. I paid for the expedited service -- $60 I think but it could have been $40. I made an appointment (very important!) for Thursday and the passport was ready by Tuesday, just went back to pick it up. A year or so ago (before the big rush got going) a friend sent his off to have pages added and it took well over a month. May be worse now.

As was mentioned above, the inserted pages are lettered. They are the color and style of new passports and so don't match my 5 year old passport. When I used it the first time in DUS it got some close looks and a few questions, but no hassles.
I feel a little less concerned after reading that a few of you that mailed your passports received them back very quickly so THANK YOU for writing in this forum. However, this one post makes me a bit worried. Did you all send it to the Philadelphia address? I sent my passport last Saturday, April 12 by requesting regular service instead of expedited service because I thought I was not going to travel until November. HOWEVER, I may have to go to China for work on May 21. I called today and they told me that they had received my application but has not processed it yet and won't be able to tell me when I will get it. I also read from a posting that they had included a prepaid Fedex envelope? I ddin't include any prepaid return envelope. Is it necessary?

Can someone please tell me how long I should expect to wait? What if it hasn't arrived the week before May 21? Anything I can do without cancelling my trip? If I get it the week before, that would be 5 weeks that they have. Is that sufficient time for them to add pages and send back via regular mail?

I really regret doing it now especially since hearing from here that you can just go to the US embassy in foreign countries to get the pages added the same day. Since I can't undo this, any advice or word of comfort would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I got my passport pages added at the consulate in Rio a couple years ago. Superquick and free!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Originally Posted by wcaldog
Since I can't undo this, any advice or word of comfort would be greatly appreciated.
You will most likely receive your pp on time. However, as a backup, you may want to schedule an appointment with your local pp agency for a couple of days before your trip. In the very off chance your pp does not arrive by then, simply apply for a new pp. You will explain the circumstances, pay the expediting fee, and receive a second pp, most likely with a two-year validity, but with an endorsement that would read something like
This Passport expires on xxx, yy, 2010. It may be extended upon authorization of the Department of State.
which is written in one of my two-year continuing passports. I would assume State would let you keep your first pp when it comes in the mail, and it would be your option to simply let the second expire after two years, or attempt to renew it.

IME, State is very flexible with passports, and sympathetic to last minute travelers, when you deal with them in person.

Best of luck... I'm sure things will work out well for you.

UAL Traveler
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:13 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

I leave for a trip early 09, and have 6 boxes left to stamp

Enter Japan, Exit Japan
Enter Vietnam, Exit Vietnam
Enter Cambodia, Exit Cambodia
Enter Vietnam, Exit Vietnam
Enter Singapore, Exit Singapore
Enter Japan, Exit Japan.

Sounds like i need some more space.

So if I were to "walk" in the US Embassy in Tokyo, what should I expect. Do I just walk in (without appointment) and mention I need more passport pages? I suspect I can fill out the form prior to arriving and walk up?

i have 0 pages free, and need a visa to Cambodia, but I think it is an EVisa, so i might not need sticker space. http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/index.aspx

Can I peel other stickers out of my passport?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.