Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

How many people have been to all 50 states?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many people have been to all 50 states?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Except for some teachers' kids and some people working for the federal government or national political campaigns who have mentioned their domestic US travels, I don't recall meeting many people who have been or have likely been to all fifty US states.
I'm none of the above .

Of those not meeting the above characteristics, has anyone on FT even hit at least one airport in each of the 50 US states?

I'm just a few states short of 50.
The tough part there is that Delaware does not have regular common carrier commercial airline service, so flying out of an airport in all 50 states while not being a private pilot (or knowing one) is tough as you'd have to fly into/out of Delaware during one of the handful of times it has had regular common carrier commercial service.

I'm at 31 states for airports.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
Except for some teachers' kids and some people working for the federal government or national political campaigns who have mentioned their domestic US travels, I don't recall meeting many people who have been or have likely been to all fifty US states.

Of those not meeting the above characteristics, has anyone on FT even hit at least one airport in each of the 50 US states?

I'm just a few states short of 50.
I fall into none of those categories. I have been to all fifty states and been to an airport in each one. I made it a goal to run a marathon in every state, and because I did it so quickly (just under two years), it was usually a fly in Friday night or Saturday morning, fly out Sunday evening so I could make it back to work on Monday.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
God willing, I will hit all 50 states at the end of next week. 15 years ago, I lacked 5 states: ME, RI, Ark, Miss, Ala. I figured I would at some point get ME and RI, but why would I ever get to those southern states? Well, I wound up taking a job in Memphis and within a couple of months of moving there got those three states.

I once had a goal of visiting (getting out of the airport) in every country, but I've decided I'd rather focus on scuba diving.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:43 pm

I think I'm at 30 - 35 and have lived in 20 or so of those. @manneca, you aren't missing a thing when it comes to MS or Arkansas!.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:27 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
49 - all except Alaska!

Most of them checked off because of a lot of long distance family road trips, as well as doing a couple long distance Amtrak trips during college, so maybe next I should aim for 1 airport per state.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:37 pm

I'll have to think about airports. Definitely missing Delaware, SD, WY, and a lot of New England... Used to work in Boston so I always just flew into there. But I have flown in or through most.

Multiples in a lot of states... HI, CA, SC (3, I'm from there), NC, NY, TX, FL, probably quite a few others as well.

Is there a website like the how many states have you been to sites for airports? I'd love to know how many I've been to and a map would help.

Edited to add: yes, there is. I'll work on mine but honestly I can't remember a lot of them. For example, have I flown into Jacksonville? I don't know. I've been there. .. but did I fly?

Last edited by MissJ; Jul 1, 2017 at 6:46 pm
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:41 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
airports...hmm, good question GUw. I'll need to think on it as I have been to all 50 US States, the one district, and all five major territories but airports I am definitely missing some states.

If one counts Air Force Bases as airports, I have done Delaware (Dover). They did have Frontier near Wilmington/New Castle for a short time. I've heard they are trying to get someone to come back to get PHL travelers, but Trenton is doing a better job.

Having just recently returned from American Samoa two weeks ago it reminded me of this thread and I found it again near that top even. Good to read everyone's posts.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Currently at 35.

2017 so far (4) - Michigan, Colorado, Florida, Georgia
2016 (10) - West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana
2015 (5) - Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Alaska
2014 and before (16) - California, Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Hawai'i, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Illinois

Missing (15) - New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Vermont, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oregon, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota

First started collecting states in 2013. Was at 11 before then.

Stayed the night (23)

Airport (18)
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:29 am

We finished the 50th a few years ago with an unexpectedly wonderful stay in North Dakota.
Living on the East coast, where our thinking can become something of an echo chamber,
we have really enjoyed meeting people from other parts of the country. Incredible scenery
and experiences can be found pretty much everywhere and I am on a soapbox for people
to see more of the US. In fact, we are doubling down and spending more time in states that we only saw briefly on the first pass. We luck enough to have been to over 100 countries, but think that, in general, touring the US is underrated.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm at 39 without particularly trying to visit all 50 ... but now visiting them all is a goal.

I got into the 30s years ago thru a combination business and personnel travel. Since then, my rate of hitting new states has slowed down. I haven't made any trips for the purpose of checking a state off the list, but I seem to be reaching the point where I will have to do that - our at least make side trips to check off additional states.

My rule for counting a visit to a state is feet on the ground outside of airports, so airport connections and driving through without stopping don't count. I did make a specific stop while driving through New Hampshire to be able to count it as visited.

Missing: Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota and West Virginia.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I have been to 28 states after graduating from college (which is kind of what I count as being responsible for my own travel) and 43 overall. The missing 7 are the Dakotas, Wyoming, Kansas, Wisconsin, Alabama, and Mississippi. I'm in no rush to hit those last two in particular. I am not counting trips where I just drove through the state or laid over in the airport (although incidentally enough, I have not been to an airport in any of the states listed above either - none of them have hubs).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.