Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody Else Collect States?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
+1 I have been to South Dakota a lot, since I acquired family there. I love the "a-maize-ing" Corn Palace.
+2

Love the Corn Palace! Well, and all those other "roadside" attractions. World's largest ball of string, anyone? The geographical center of the USA? That sort of stuff is reason enough for me to hit the road and visit all the states.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by 797-3
ND is mentioned as missed by several.
I was about to post the same thing (and I guess I now have). Is ND the "most not-visited" state? I haven't read through all the posts/added up the numbers, but anecdotally it seems to be.

Think this is true for the general public? HI/AK seem to be obvious candidates, but they are popular vacation destinations, more so than northern plains states. And ND probably isn't a "happen to drive through while going somewhere else" state for much of anything.

ME was late on my list, but I suspect plenty of New Englanders have been through there for one reason or another.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA AA US
Interesting topic. I "collect" U.S. state capitals by doing a 10-k walk (see www.ava.org). I have only 9 so far -- it's going to take a while. The 10ks are a good front for a MR... or vice versa.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Add me to the ND list. Been to all others.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:09 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Sounds like a good idea for a DO. Perhaps Fargo next summer?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Being a military brat, I had 49 states under my belt before I'd attained majority. Always had fun seeing if people could guess the one I'd missed. No one did (Florida), anyway I polished it off soon afterward.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I've been to all 50. AR was my last.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm not going to lie, seeing all these people short North Dakota and knowing I have it makes me feel pretty smug
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
My sister drove to 49 of the 50 states (obviously, she couldn't drive to Hawaii) within 6 months of graduating from college. She did this in a then 11 or 12 year old car, and it included driving through Canada and Alaska during the winter.

Two years later, our grandmother booked a trip to Hawaii for the two of them, so that my sister could say she'd visited every state. Our grandmother then promised me a trip to the Caribbean the following year (she figured that was fair). Two weeks before the trip to Hawaii, grandma was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, so my mother went on the trip to Hawaii with my sister.

Eight months after the trip to Hawaii (and three days before my birthday), grandma passed away. My sister had an all-expenses paid trip to Hawaii, while I spent my birthday at the funeral home... Just not the same...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:33 pm

Just finished off all 50 (as well as DC and PR) as of July 14, with ND being the last one. Had needed ID, MT, and ND for a long time and finally just planned a vacation to pick them all up. Sounds funny but there is a sense of relief at finishing them off.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Collect?

Nah. I do keep track.

I collect continents, still need South America, Oz and Antarctica.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Canarsie
As of earlier this year, I have been to all 50 United States.

The only states in which I have not stayed overnight are New Mexico and Rhode Island.

I have been to every state more than once except for North Dakota, Hawaii, Idaho and New Mexico.
To update the above information, the only state in which I have not stayed overnight but have driven through several times and stopped to walk around its capital city is Rhode Island.

Additionally, I have now been to New Mexico more than once. I have also been to the airport in Honolulu three times since staying there, but I do not really count that as being in Hawai’i more than once.
Originally Posted by Gamecock
I collect continents, still need South America, Oz and Antarctica.
I am only missing Antarctica, and I intend to visit it someday.
Originally Posted by CrispyRice
The geographical center of the USA?
I have been to both geographical centers of the United States.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Marsden
Being a military brat, I had 49 states under my belt before I'd attained majority.
Army brat here, now on my 24th year of active duty. Still haven't come close.

I am only missing Antarctica, and I intend to visit it someday.
LOL! I'm sure there is a trip report or thread that can tell us just how to do that, and earn maximum miles/points in the process.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Gamecock
LOL! I'm sure there is a trip report or thread that can tell us just how to do that, and earn maximum miles/points in the process.
You laugh, but there is actually an entire FlyerTalk forum devoted to Antarctica.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:18 pm

You laugh, but there is actually an entire FlyerTalk forum devoted to Antarctica.

Is it any wonder I love this place!

Always loved to travel, only had hotel status for a couple of years in my adult life. Then I discovered FT and now I have status with multiple programs AND can learn about travel opportunities anywhere in the world!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.