Anybody Else Collect States?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody Else Collect States?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: NW Gold, YX Executive
I recently (in geologic time), removed the asterisks from OR and WV, leaving HI, AK, NV, UT, CO, and, of course, ID.

I have also visited 343 out of 351 towns and cities in Massachusetts.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:54 pm
rje

Programs: Marriott Gold,United Silver,Delta Silver,Hhonors Diamond., SPG platinum, Priority Club Plat.
Made all 50 many years ago. This year went through NE so my wife could get her 49th and will get her to NM next month.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:40 pm

I've done 40 over the last 12 years, purely as a Visa Waiver Visitor. I'm missing Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Michigan, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Utah.

Just did my 47th country (Indonesia) last week...
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by CPRich
Wow, seven years later....

I'm currently at 47 and my wife is at 49. I only did one toe-tap (drove Menomonee Falls to MKE via Dubuque on a 6-hr detour) and she did two (rented a car during a layover in MEM and hit AR and MS).

We both have ND remaining.

Every county in the US - that's real dedication, bordering on obsession.
Every county? With 254 of them, even Texas would be a challenge.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I think I've gotten 28, but I can't remember whether this counts - on one walk through DTW, I stepped into the Marriott, which isn't technically the airport. Or IS it technically the airport? Have I been to Michigan or not?

My list, in alphabetical order, is AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, LA, ME, MD, MA, MO, NV, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, PA, RI, TX, UT, VT, VA. Oops, that's 26.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
If you are looking for an excuse to visit one of your remaining Bucket List states, consider checking out lists of local fairs and festivals. Every burg has their Potato Days or Stagecoach Fair.

on one walk through DTW, I stepped into the Marriott, which isn't technically the airport. Or IS it technically the airport? Have I been to Michigan or not?
I allow "asterisk states". These are places where I have landed, but not really seen anything. Right now, my remaining astricks are Oregon and Montana. When I go to Idaho next year, I am planning to drive through both to remove the asterisk.

The point is to see as much of the world as I can, thus I set certain goals for myself.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Jul 20, 2011 at 8:46 pm Reason: darn spelling of astrick, astrix, astrick, whatever
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
pogopossum, as an Empire Builder veteran I can say only good things about the experience. You'll get to see a huge cross section of Montana, from the gorgeous area around Glacier National Park to the prairies and you can really feel that you've seen it far more so than a road trip would allow. Also, if you do it in the Spring/Summer and go west-east the North Dakota sunset is a lovely thing to see.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
44 states, missing ND, SD, IA, KS , OK and NE
I believe I've been in every county in California
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
A mere 6

Arizona
California
Michigan
Nevada
New York
Utah

still not bad for a European
oh by the way, I collect vehicle license plates as a memory.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I have been to 23 states so far (going to california on Saturday so soon to be 24)... I am only 15 and do not count airports but do count states I have driven through...Below are the states I have been to:

MA
NH
VT
ME
RI
CT
NY
NJ
PA
DE
MD
(DC)
VA
FL
OH
IN
IL
WI
TX
NM
AZ
UT
CO
WY
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Yeah, I've been stuck on 43 (missing MT, ND, SD, NE, VT, NH, and DE) for several years now, since moving outside the U.S. I keep planning two road trips to cover the rest. There is really so much to see, virtually everywhere in the U.S., that I don't get tired of going to new places.

I tick one off the list when I have spent at least one night, by the way. So many drives through, and tolls pad to, Delaware don't count.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:47 pm
Suspended

ND is mentioned as missed by several.

I have been to 49 states. I have not been to North Dakota.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
Originally Posted by pinniped
This reminds me of those guys who run marathons in every state. I did the Des Moines 1/2 last weekend, and saw two guys at the start who were running the full marathon to pick up Iowa. It was number 40 for one of them and something like 29 for the other.

All of these people can tell you exactly how many states they have and exactly when they will hit #51. One of their specific rules is that you cannot double- or triple-dip: if you run an interstate race (which several big marathons are) you have to pick which state it "counts" for.
My current goal is to do a triathlon in each of the 50 states (and I suppose DC). Any distance, from a sprint to a full Ironman, as long as it is a swim/bike/run race. I've done 10: TX, LA, CO, CA, WI, NY, AK, ID, FL, KS. It's a little tricky, with logistics (and the airline bike fees don't help), but I hope to have this all done by 2020. Have done other countries as well, but not necessarily looking to add a bunch more: Canada, St. Croix, Mexico, and Austria.

States I've been to otherwise include: WA, OR, MT, WY, AZ, NM, UT, NV, OK, AR, MO, NE, MN, IA, KY, TN, MS, AL, NC, VA, WV, DC, MD, VT, NH, RI, CT, MA, OH, HI, GA.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:56 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I've been to all 50 states, handily, over the last 25 years of traveling. With the exception of one or two, I've probably been to all 2 or 3 times over.
The elusive state for me for many years was strangely, Idaho.
I knocked that off many many years ago with a trip to Coeur d'Alene. To this day only been to Idaho ONCE in the last 25 years, but been to most of the other 49 many many times.

Even though I have traveled ultra-extensively at times and have riddled many states with driving, there is absolutely no Earthly way I have come anywhere near going to every county in every state. Not even close. A select few states I have been to every single county. I've been to every county in New York, in Ohio, in Florida, in Kentucky, in West Virginia, and in Indiana. Just by luck I believe - in over 25 years of travel. The rest? Not even close.

Two states caught me off-guard with interesting or unexpected beauty or at least unexpected novelty:

North Dakota - The vast Canola fields blooming bright yellow, and Turtle Mountain off in the distance. I'll not forget that. Minot sitting in the middle of no where just begging you to stop or be lost in the wilderness. Fargo at 20 below in January and watching water vaporize before it hit the ground.

South Dakota - Mitchell with it's Corn Palace. Come on! When do you see a huge public building covered with decorative patterns of corn? And the Black Hills? Beautiful.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
South Dakota - Mitchell with it's Corn Palace. Come on! When do you see a huge public building covered with decorative patterns of corn? And the Black Hills? Beautiful.
+1 I have been to South Dakota a lot, since I acquired family there. I love the "a-maize-ing" Corn Palace.

Idaho seems to be a recurring theme. It is the only state I have left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.